Does it amuse you when you read grammar/spelling errors on professional products?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
Every company should have an english teacher or a professor looking over the work. That would solve a lot of problems.

i frequent another forum that has a high school english teacher that posts a lot. she has a phd and all that, yet i still correct her spelling and grammar when she gets a bit too haughty. i doubt it would really help. hiring professional proofers would be a better idea, i did it for a few books (technical) in my days of college and trying to make extra cash.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
There are spelling errors in my Kaplan GRE prep book. Spelling errors in the verbal review sections. Seriously, wtf. Who spells "adulterate" as "adulteiwte". Lose.

ognabor

Jun 6, 2007
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
Every company should have an english teacher or a professor looking over the work. That would solve a lot of problems.

English teachers are FAR from infallible. My English teacher during my senior year of high school was a complete failure. I used to correct her in the middle of class. Frequently. I'm an asshole, but she pissed me off. I do know that I'm far from perfect, but gimme a break. English teachers should know the language inside and out. You've been given the task of educating America's youth. Get it right.

Yeah, yeah, it's "only" high school, but that's when these kids pick up there bad habit's.

ognabor

Jun 6, 2007
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
I hate math mistakes too. For some reason it really bugs me to see .99cents listed at grocery stores.

Me too.

"So, you're selling those for less than a penny each? Sweet!"

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I tend to be more forgiving of non-native English speakers than I do for those people whose native language is English.
English is a fcked-up language to learn with its many odd-ball rules and quirks.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
It amuses AND annoys me, slightly. I mean, the amount of effort I put into every inter company email that I send is astonishing. The least a company could do is release products that have correct grammar and spelling on them.

::sigh::

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It doesn't bug me as much as errors in code examples in programming books, though.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
I hate math mistakes too. For some reason it really bugs me to see .99cents listed at grocery stores.

Try explainintg to Verizon Wireless the difference between 0.2c ($.002) and .002c. :Q