Does it amuse you when you read grammar/spelling errors on professional products?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I find it amusing to see obvious errors that slip through the cracks. Case in point - today I'm reading a user manual for a very expensive piece of corporate financial software:

"This section shows you when to use each piece of documentation and when to use it."

Also, Saturday I saw an ad for a concert:

"The Clark Family, Their Farwell Performance"

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
It always make me wonder how it slipped through spell check and/or proof readers. Sometimes your eyes just see the correct spelling when it's not there I suppose.

I've seen separate spelled "seperate" a few times on websites and pointed it out to the webmasters.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It usually annoys me, because I'm usually sure they've paid someone to go over things like that. Then I fly into a blind rage and smash everything in sight.

Originally posted by: moshquerade
It always make me wonder how it slipped through spell check and/or proof readers. Sometimes your eyes just see the correct spelling when it's not there I suppose.

;)

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It usually annoys me, because I'm usually sure they've paid someone to go over things like that. Then I fly into a blind rage and smash everything in sight.

;)

It usually annoys me because people use commas where they aren't necessary. ;)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

;)

Yep, case in point right there. :laugh:

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah. I find it amusing. They spend millions of dollars in marketing and they can't ensure that it's error free.

Fulcrum

May 9, 2002
Every time I turn on my computer, the BIOS from my Foxconn MB spits out a line that reads something like "no any drives found new." Every time I catch it I just want to shake my head.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
reading "then" used instead of "than" on websites like cnn.com makes me sad.

makes them out to be real people and not just machines doing the work! :thumbsup:

Makes them out to be complete morons.
The difference between then and than is incredibly basic and it's not something anyone with any level of HS education should get wrong.
Shows they are human? Shows they are complete idiots.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Lonyo

makes them out to be real people and not just machines doing the work! :thumbsup:

The difference between then and than is incredibly basic and it's not something anyone with any level of HS education should get wrong.

Agreed. Simple spelling and punctuation should have been learned before they got out of high school. I'm amazed on a daily basis how many college grads can't spell nor punctuate simple sentences.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: txrandom

;)

It usually annoys me because people use commas where they aren't necessary. ;)

Eh? I put it there because that's the way the sentence would come out if I were speaking it.
/me commences flying into a blind rage and breaks all txrandom's stuff

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
People misuse words all the time on this forum. There are "professionals" who cannot differentiate between "we're" and "were," "their" and "there" or "they're," and several others. The saddest part is these people are supposedly educated and were born in this country. And English is also the only language they know.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ColdFusion718
People misuse words all the time on this forum. There are "professionals" who cannot differentiate between "we're" and "were," "their" and "there" or "they're," and several others. The saddest part is these people are supposedly educated and were born in this country. And English is also the only language they know.

QFT!
I was going to post this same comment here!
I was going to say that this amused me even more than seeing it on professional products.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
it makes me cringe and point it out but not really mad or angry. i always stop and point out signs like "Comming Soon!" when i see them tho, those are annoying. i also point out bad wordage and typos in any form im going to sign, just to make sure they realize they need to spend more time on polish. most of the time it's work related, and ill be damned if im not going to sign a contract for work upwards of 3 mil without pointing out a typo.

side note: here and on other forums i rarely use capital letters or punctuation. i do find it funny to see such proper grammar and structure in threads like these.

Oct 4, 2004
These guys make high-end motherboards: DFI

The developing speed of PC industry is incredible fast in these years. It just likes: CPU transformation, which is transit from dual core to quad core, the FSB from 800/ 1066MHz up to 1333HMz. On the other hand, VGA just started the competition between SLI & Crossfire, and then additional physics rendering function involves the war?Also, the generation of memory is from DDR and all the way down to DDR3 era.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

The developing speed of PC industry is incredible fast in these years. It just likes: CPU transformation, which is transit from dual core to quad core, the FSB from 800/ 1066MHz up to 1333HMz. On the other hand, VGA just started the competition between SLI & Crossfire, and then additional physics rendering function involves the war?Also, the generation of memory is from DDR and all the way down to DDR3 era.

Yeah but that's a Taiwanese site. I don't expect their translations to English to be that good. You see it a lot in the PC industry because so many companies are based in Taiwan or China and don't have native English speakers to translate.

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Every company should have an english teacher or a professor looking over the work. That would solve a lot of problems.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I think about this every time I enable Bluetooth on my cell phone. Normally I just go to the list of registered devices and select my headset and hit connect since it will automatically enable Bluetooth in the process of connecting and save me a step. Anyway, I hit connect and it goes "Bluetooth is not activated. Bluetooth turn on?" I laugh every time.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Supermercado
I think about this every time I enable Bluetooth on my cell phone. Normally I just go to the list of registered devices and select my headset and hit connect since it will automatically enable Bluetooth in the process of connecting and save me a step. Anyway, I hit connect and it goes "Bluetooth is not activated. Bluetooth turn on?" I laugh every time.

MAIN SCREEN TURN ON

IT'S YOU

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

;)

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
With all of the NorthWest Airline cancellations this weekend, I saw "canceled" "cancelled" used randomly on flight departure screens and news reports. Apparently, these are both accepted spellings. wtf?

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I hate math mistakes too. For some reason it really bugs me to see .99cents listed at grocery stores.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

Yeah but that's a Taiwanese site. I don't expect their translations to English to be that good. You see it a lot in the PC industry because so many companies are based in Taiwan or China and don't have native English speakers to translate.

further, im pretty sure the hi tech guys arent making or proofing the web site. there was a time in news hen you left out small words to get more type on a page, beause your message could get across without some of them. that release is a prime example of older type news line.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Agreed. Simple spelling and punctuation should have been learned before they got out of high school. I'm amazed on a daily basis how many college grads can't spell nor punctuate simple sentences.

from cnn.com article:

Little is looking for the perfect balance between home and work. Like all mothers, she finds that some days are filled with more conflict then others.

:(