"does hourly rate mean how much you get paid per hour??"

Feb 6, 2007
If you're in the south, I think a "here's your sign" joke would be fitting... Northerners wouldn't get it though, we're far too sophisticated for such nonsense.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Back to back lame threads from this to this thread is just horrible. Makes me want to gnash in madness.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
While hourly rate MAY mean your hourly rate of pay, it MAY also include the "other hourly expenses" like fringe benefits. Many companies bill at an hourly rate that is more than what the actual rate of pay is to account for these extra expenses. (No, I'm not talking about making a profit over and above the employee's rate...that's a different subject)
For example, when I work on construction jobs that are covered under prevailaing wage laws and are considered "Time and Materials" jobs (also called "Cost Plus" jobs) my total hourly rate: wages, fringe benefits, social security, etc. are what the company bills the paying agency. That is my hourly rate...

HOWEVER, in the OP's cousin's case, she's probably not that deep, and is refering to her hourly pay...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Tell her that "hourly rate" refers to the amount that prostitutes charge for an hour of services. So, if she ever sees that on an application, they're assuming she's been a prostitute at some point in her life. ("That question is rarely, if ever on a guys application.")

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
While hourly rate MAY mean your hourly rate of pay, it MAY also include the "other hourly expenses" like fringe benefits. Many companies bill at an hourly rate that is more than what the actual rate of pay is to account for these extra expenses. (No, I'm not talking about making a profit over and above the employee's rate...that's a different subject)
For example, when I work on construction jobs that are covered under prevailaing wage laws and are considered "Time and Materials" jobs (also called "Cost Plus" jobs) my total hourly rate: wages, fringe benefits, social security, etc. are what the company bills the paying agency. That is my hourly rate...

HOWEVER, in the OP's cousin's case, she's probably not that deep, and is refering to her hourly pay...

It's for a waitressing position ;)