Question Does having no DRAM in a SSD matter when putting it in a ps4?

Tr4405

May 14, 2021
I know that when transferring or downloading large files that I can slow down a lot. I got a SSD that locks to about 240 MB/s since the ps4 is SATA II. I play a lot of open world games. Will the game loading in assets from my SSD slow down the speeds? And can it slow it down more than the 100 MB/s you get with the HDD?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
100MB/s is around the top speed of most HDDs when they are doing SEQUENTIAL reads/writes. Very few use cases result in purely sequential reads. SSDs are able to achieve their maximum speeds in many more use cases, including very random reads/writes. Especially if you are putting a modern SATA SSD into a PS4. Since the bottleneck becomes the SATA II interface and not the NAND flash or controller. Even DRAM-less SSDs are able to achieve very high random I/O throughput. Much, much, much higher than any HDD. Even a slightly random load will cut a HDD's throughput by 75% or more.

I can't think of a reason or situation where a DRAM-less SSD will be slower than any HDD in a PS4.

Tr4405

May 14, 2021
100MB/s is around the top speed of most HDDs when they are doing SEQUENTIAL reads/writes. Very few use cases result in purely sequential reads. SSDs are able to achieve their maximum speeds in many more use cases, including very random reads/writes. Especially if you are putting a modern SATA SSD into a PS4. Since the bottleneck becomes the SATA II interface and not the NAND flash or controller. Even DRAM-less SSDs are able to achieve very high random I/O throughput. Much, much, much higher than any HDD. Even a slightly random load will cut a HDD's throughput by 75% or more.

I can't think of a reason or situation where a DRAM-less SSD will be slower than any HDD in a PS4.
So regardless the SSD will still be faster?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
So regardless the SSD will still be faster?

The SSD will be faster, period. How much faster will vary by game. As razel pointed out, how fast the CPU can process the data coming off the SSD is the next limiting factor. Here is a video that quantifies the load time differences in a few games.