does game resolution affect ping (1280x 720 vs 1900x 1200)

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
So I used to game at 1200 x1084 something but was limited by my video card, now that I have a faster card I want to play at max settings. (have a dell 24 inch widescreen LCD (default resolution 1920x 1200)

My brain tells me no, but some gamers says it does.

So whats the short answer?

(just got my gtx 295 and want to unleash the fury)

thanks

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Screen resolution has nothing to do with network performance, perhaps they told you so because higher resolutions equal sluggish performance without the right hardware and someone not very knowledgeable could confuse that with network "lag".

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Thanks that would be the logical answer, just wanted to double check with ATOT group.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
omg... FPS have something to do with ping... that is really old... i mean years ago... it use to be like that in some games... in where in data is polled every frame... the slower the framerate the higher the ping... is like 60fps is around 16ms between frames... WOW my minimun ping is 16.... that marging is so BAD!!!! lol... if u get a ping of 16... then let me know.... by the way all this is the old days, don't pay too much attention to it...

mozirry

Sep 18, 2006
i started a flame thread when I complained that people were using the term "lag" synonymously with network-lag and videocard/processing-lag

I.E., when you stutter not because your framerate but because your ping is ungodly high, this is LAG

When you stutter not because of your ping (either it is very low or not even online at all), this is because your videocard/computer can't handle the game and you suffer from low FPS and jitters from switching to simple/complex environments.

I couldn't BELIEVE the amount of people who thought I was talking out of my a$$