Does everyone else's boss swear?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: G Wizard
my boss curses like a sailor, except he was in the army.

ive heard just about everything out of his mouth, including calling a coworker of mine a 'lazy fatass motherf*cker' TO HIS FACE. lol.

which is the most spot-on assessment of that waste of human life possible.

haha, thats how it works in the army

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I worked construction for over 30 years...I don't think I ever had a boss who didn't cuss like a sailor...(except one uber-religious guy...and he used "clean cuss-words" instead of the actual words...Mormons are good for that as well...My Heck...cockroach, etc...You get the meaning without the actual vulgarity.)
In a "professional setting" like an office, I think cussing might be out of place in "mixed company," but among "the guys," not so terrible.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Most people in my dept don't freely cuss, but behind closed doors they all will/do.

I try to keep it down if I'm in the open areas of my building/dept, but behind closed doors, I join in.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Welcome to the real world.

IIRC, the only industries that don't have a lot of swearing are HR, religion, and government jobs. Or basically any company where office politics are prized over individual employee qualifications.
Finance and sales are the "kings of swear" because top producers can get away with almost anything.

Edit: now that i think about it, HR makes sense, nevermind.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The funny thing is, i think the females swear the most where i work... i swear a lot but only under my breath so nobody hears.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I work in a customer environment but once they leave or once the phone is off (since I work alone in the entire store front) I cuss like a mad man. Esp. if they piss me off and treat me like shit.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I work in IT so it's pretty much a given..

There's one guy I work with who never swears.. we call him G-Rated or Junior :D

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
3rd day I was at my first job my boss left for Japan and I was closing a deal with the CFO of the company. We got off the phone with a lawyer who was asking for her money (and being a real ass about it), he said "You'll get your money when I send it to you you cucking funt" That was an eye opener.

Now I work on a trading desk (although I am not a trader) and if I don't hear an f-bomb or something else every 15min I start to think that something odd is going on. As JS said, it's really par for the course in finance.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Welcome to the real world.

IIRC, the only industries that don't have a lot of swearing are HR, religion, and government jobs. Or basically any company where office politics are prized over individual employee qualifications.
Finance and sales are the "kings of swear" because top producers can get away with almost anything.

Guess the 9 years in my profession haven't been in the "real world"

If you swear on purpose here, HR would be at your desk in a matter of minutes.

its a telecom job

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
my boss swears all the time. and then tells me i sound like an asshole on the phone. well at least im not cursing at customers.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've heard the boss swear a time or two, but it's rare. I've heard others swear too, but you're really not supposed to, as for all you know, someone of importance could be there and your lewd or poignant speech could be negative for the company! So over all, I hear it, but not nearly as much as some people in here have said.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it varies a lot here
my old boss didn't, much
new boss, doesn't much, but a little more, maybe, not sure yet

there are clusters of potty mouths around though, they tend to clump together, like kitty litter

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I'm a senior manager at a mid-sized firm and it's nonstop swearing from my office. Colorful language helps the day go by faster and is a motivator.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Every boss I had swore... those sales people will swear at people when they're "pulling up your information" or put you on hold.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I swear all the time and I am not the boss, but of course it depends on who's present.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: HammerCurl
So far I've heard "Oh, F-bomb", "Sh!t", and "Well if he doesn't like it, he can blow me."

Haha, I like that theres no censor here. I work in accounting, investments particularly. Does everyones boss swear or is there more of a restrained communication where everyone else works?

My boss never swears at work, but in a social situation he may toss a few words into the air in jest.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I've had one boss (a Registered Land Surveyor) tell me if I didn't do something his way he'd F-ing shoot me. :Q

That guy has issues, but most bosses I've had in the skilled trades that I have done all had foul mouths.

Edit: My boss did have a gun too. I drove his Expedition to the courthouse one day to get documents and dropped something on the floorboard. When I was getting it I saw that he had left his .357 under the seat. That is information I would have appreciated having before I took the vehicle...

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I'm the boss and I swear all the time. It's part of the job and helps to relieve the stress. With the way the world is now and people able to speak their mind freely, PC behavior has gone out the door.