Does enamel "grow" back on teeth?

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I'm thinking of picking up some Crest whitening strips, but I heard that it removes the enamel and makes teeth sensitive. Is the enamel replaced, or will I have sensitive teeth forever?

(sorry if this is a stupid question)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't think so, might check that web site, "how things work" and look up whitening strips

be carefull with your teeth, i am only 36 and looking at having to get a 4 tooth bridge across the front this summer, going to cost some $$ :frown:

Oct 16, 1999
I would like to know this too. I don't think it will, but I want to know why. And where the enamel comes from in the first place. And why a chipped tooth won't heal like any other bone.

Hanpan

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2000
A thooth can recalcify however once there is permanent damage i believe it can not longer do so. Not sure. Perhpas you should give your dentist a call...

dexmanone

Aug 31, 2000
The strips are safe. I had my teeth whitened in Dec 2001. I asked my dentist and to my surprise he said it doesn't harm. The diff is that a dentist will make a mold, then use a gel which will get all the tooth. A strip is only going to get where the strip touches and might miss the round parts (sides) of the tooth. My dentist charged me $200. A couple of friends say they used the strips and it made a diff. Since I'm not in the habit of examining whiteness in teeth, I didn't notice.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000

<< The strips are safe. I had my teeth whitened in Dec 2001. I asked my dentist and to my surprise he said it doesn't harm. The diff is that a dentist will make a mold, then use a gel which will get all the tooth. A strip is only going to get where the strip touches and might miss the round parts (sides) of the tooth. My dentist charged me $200. A couple of friends say they used the strips and it made a diff. Since I'm not in the habit of examining whiteness in teeth, I didn't notice. >>

So how do you feel about spending $200 on something you didn't notice?
Did anyone else notice?

dexmanone

Aug 31, 2000
I noticed MY teeth, BIG diff. I didn't notice my friends who used the strips. Where's my sunglasses.......