Does burning a CD/DVD at a slower speed really improve quality?

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I think burning at a slower speed to improve quality is a myth, assuming you are using good media/drives/data in the first place, however, some disagree. What say you?

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I wouln't say it improves the quality, but it absolutely increases the chance of a successful burn. Especially when using "cheap" media.

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ike0069
I wouln't say it improves the quality, but it absolutely increases the chance of a successful burn. Especially when using "cheap" media.

I agree. ;)

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Yes.
I'm sure because I've tried it myself.
At least with a BTC 1008 writer and 4 branded blanks.

Normally you wouldn't notice the difference, but if your reader (or media) is marginal, it could improve read quality.

Why don't you try it yourself? Nero's CDSpeed will be able to check the burn quality

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
It does indeed improve quality on any media. As bigpow says, just check the error rates yourself with cdspeed or a similiar tool.

imported_dakota81

Nov 2, 2005
You still have to follow the specs of the disc. If you take like a 52x rated cd-r and burn it at 2x or 4x, it will be very difficult for that cd to be read in most cdroms. Likewise, if you have 16x rated dvd-r's you don't want to burn them at 1x either.

allanon1965

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2004
what? cd roms are rated at max speed, if they can read it at 52X they can sure as hell read it at 1X or 2X....any data to back this up, I would be very interested in reading this...

imported_Nacelle

May 8, 2004
Oh boy!!
The slower you burn, the more time the lazer has to burn a pit in the dye. Which give it more time to "get it right"...less errors, easier for cheap players to read.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dakota81
You still have to follow the specs of the disc. If you take like a 52x rated cd-r and burn it at 2x or 4x, it will be very difficult for that cd to be read in most cdroms. Likewise, if you have 16x rated dvd-r's you don't want to burn them at 1x either.

Sorry but you are out of line with your explanation.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
It does indeed improve quality on any media. As bigpow says, just check the error rates yourself with cdspeed or a similiar tool.

Agree! The number of errors is what makes it a better burn which can also make it a better quality. With a slower burn rate you have less errors, thus less jiggling of the presentation. There is a max number of errors before a burn can be assumed to be successful and it depends on the burner and the software used.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: dakota81

What in the hell are you talking about?

imported_Stew

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2005
When burning things like digital video, burning speed does matter. It does improve quality, just like these guys are saying about the discs being easier to read, etc. Dakota, CDs are rated at max speeds, not at specific speeds.