Does anyone use a laptop as their SOLE machine for home?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just got a Gateway 4530GZ laptop and I haven't really touched my desktop at all in the past few weeks. I don't even care to play games anymore. I'm seriously thinking about just getting rid of my desktop system (see sig) and plan on keeping my 19" monitor around.

Does anyone here do all of their main stuff with a laptop only? If so, what do you use?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Honestly I've thought about it myself. I work 8:30-5, sometimes 6-9, and my desktop is in a second bedroom that is kind of my "office." My gf is pretty needy at times :p and if I go up there to work she complains 'cuz she can't be in the same room with me & all.

Its weird to say, but I don't play games much anymore either. This is mostly due to lack of time. What i use my desktop for now is DVD ripping/burning, DLing large files, and it IS rather nice to sit in front of a 19" CRT & a comfy full-size IBM keyboard :)

However 90% of the time I am on my 15" T42 (P-M 1.7, SXGA+, Radeon 9600, CDRW/DVDROM, 768MB RAM). It is a little big for taking it everywhere like I do, but I deal with it and enjoy the larger screen/keyboard. It is pretty peppy for my needs, the most intensive thing I do on it being Photoshopping stuff.

I've thought about selling my desktop also, but I don't think I could let her go. If I did, I would want a Dell 9300 w/6800 in it to replace it as my "desktop" at home.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Honestly I've thought about it myself. I work 8:30-5, sometimes 6-9, and my desktop is in a second bedroom that is kind of my "office." My gf is pretty needy at times :p and if I go up there to work she complains 'cuz she can't be in the same room with me & all.

Its weird to say, but I don't play games much anymore either. This is mostly due to lack of time. What i use my desktop for now is DVD ripping/burning, DLing large files, and it IS rather nice to sit in front of a 19" CRT & a comfy full-size IBM keyboard :)

However 90% of the time I am on my 15" T42 (P-M 1.7, SXGA+, Radeon 9600, CDRW/DVDROM, 768MB RAM). It is a little big for taking it everywhere like I do, but I deal with it and enjoy the larger screen/keyboard. It is pretty peppy for my needs, the most intensive thing I do on it being Photoshopping stuff.

I've thought about selling my desktop also, but I don't think I could let her go. If I did, I would want a Dell 9300 w/6800 in it to replace it as my "desktop" at home.

The way I see it, if I'm at the end of line with upgrades with my current system anyway. It has AGP, DDR1 and Socket-754. Even if I DID want to upgrade to the latest tech, I'd have to buy all new crap anyway (save for memory if I stick with AMD).

As for DVD stuff, my laptop has a DVD+-RW drive so I won't be hurtin' in that arena. And the system is plenty fast (1.6GHz Pentium-M + 1GB memory). The only think I'm thinking of upgrading is the hard drive from a 4200 to a 5400 or 7200.

And I just picked up one of these today from CompUSA for $30 if I get the urge to sit at my desk again to do work :)

http://www.kensington.com/html/5558.html

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
The way I see it, if I'm at the end of line with upgrades with my current system anyway. It has AGP, DDR1 and Socket-754. Even if I DID want to upgrade to the latest tech, I'd have to buy all new crap anyway (save for memory if I stick with AMD).

As for DVD stuff, my laptop has a DVD+-RW drive so I won't be hurtin' in that arena. And the system is plenty fast (1.6GHz Pentium-M + 1GB memory). The only think I'm thinking of upgrading is the hard drive from a 4200 to a 5400 or 7200.

And I just picked up one of these today from CompUSA for $30 if I get the urge to sit at my desk again to do work :)

This is a very good point. My desktop is in the same state: A64 S754, 2x512MB DDR, 6800GT. The case is about the only thing I would keep if/when I upgraded.
The only desktop upgrade I will shell out for would be to go to dual core, but then Intel is SUPPOSED to have Yonah out in early 2006. Why not sell both my laptop & desktop @ that point and upgrade to a kick@$$ Yonah notebook? :confused: Decisions decisions

And how do you like the Kensington dock? Looks pretty nice

EDIT FYI: Yonah is supposed to be a dual core, 65nm evolution of the Pentium M; and SOMEHOW using less power than Dothan (assuming w/one core operating, as that is how it is supposed to run on battery, single core)

2nd EDIT: YGPM!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

This is a very good point. My desktop is in the same state: A64 S754, 2x512MB DDR, 6800GT. The case is about the only thing I would keep if/when I upgraded.
The only desktop upgrade I will shell out for would be to go to dual core, but then Intel is SUPPOSED to have Yonah out in early 2006. Why not sell both my laptop & desktop @ that point and upgrade to a kick@$$ Yonah notebook? :confused: Decisions decisions

And how do you like the Kensington dock? Looks pretty nice

EDIT FYI: Yonah is supposed to be a dual core, 65nm evolution of the Pentium M; and SOMEHOW using less power than Dothan (assuming w/one core operating, as that is how it is supposed to run on battery, single core)

I just played with it on the floor a little bit today. I haven't placed it on my desk yet b/c it's already occupied with my 19" LCD and keyboard/mouse.

But it is pretty awesome. You can adjust the angle at which the laptop sits and it has a powered 4-port USB 2.0 hub built into the back of the stand that you plug into a free USB port on your laptop (I have 4 USB ports on my laptop already).

I also bought a Belkin F1UP0001 802.11g USB print server for my two printers so that I can still print wirelessly throughout the house (which I now have routed through my desktop with sharing).

That being said, I'm pretty much set as far as getting rid of my desktop. The hardest part will be to break everything down and take pictures and for sale on eBay or here on FS/FT.

The only other thing I have to do is transfer my email accounts from my desktop to my laptop. As of now, I use web-based yahoo mail and a web-based server to check my Anandtech News email on my laptop instead of Thunderbird that I use on my desktop.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4I just played with it on the floor a little bit today. I haven't placed it on my desk yet b/c it's already occupied with my 19" LCD and keyboard/mouse.

But it is pretty awesome. You can adjust the angle at which the laptop sits and it has a powered 4-port USB 2.0 hub built into the back of the stand that you plug into a free USB port on your laptop (I have 4 USB ports on my laptop already).

I also bought a Belkin F1UP0001 802.11g USB print server for my two printers so that I can still print wirelessly throughout the house (which I now have routed through my desktop with sharing).

That being said, I'm pretty much set as far as getting rid of my desktop. The hardest part will be to break everything down and take pictures and for sale on eBay or here on FS/FT.

The only other thing I have to do is transfer my email accounts from my desktop to my laptop. As of now, I use web-based yahoo mail and a web-based server to check my Anandtech News email on my laptop instead of Thunderbird that I use on my desktop.
Lemme know how you like the Kensington, might be a good review item :)

Sounds like a nice setup overall, HP made a proprietary dock like that a while ago for their notebooks and it looked nice.

Have you heard of Moz Backup for Thunderbird? It works PERFECTLY for duplicating accounts on another machine, it is AWESOME. Just make sure to copy your sig file if you use one in Thunderbird, it doesn't transfer that (tho why Thunderbird doesn't allow you to just type a sig in the program itself is beyond me).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4I just played with it on the floor a little bit today. I haven't placed it on my desk yet b/c it's already occupied with my 19" LCD and keyboard/mouse.

Lemme know how you like the Kensington, might be a good review item :)

Sounds like a nice setup overall, HP made a proprietary dock like that a while ago for their notebooks and it looked nice.

Have you heard of Moz Backup for Thunderbird? It works PERFECTLY for duplicating accounts on another machine, it is AWESOME. Just make sure to copy your sig file if you use one in Thunderbird, it doesn't transfer that (tho why Thunderbird doesn't allow you to just type a sig in the program itself is beyond me).

Nah never heard of it. I've just been checking my email with my laptop and leaving the email on the server. Then when I DO use my desktop, I just take Thunderbird out of "Offline" mode and let it download the emails.

When I transfer everything over, I'm just gonna install Thunderbird, then copy the folders from Program Files and Documents and Settings and dump them on my laptop. That's what I normally do when I do a fresh install of XP on my desktop anyway ;)

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I have lappy and I don't plan to get rid of PC because I use PC for graphic work and gaming. I use lappy when I am retired to my bed then I use my lappy to browse on the internet. Also I consider my lappy as backup in case of PC system havoc.

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
I have a laptop that really is my only computer. I have a family one, but there is no reason for me to really be on it. Its slower (2 GHz P4 vs. 3.06 GHz M-P4) and its about the same graphically. I use the infamous Inspiron 5150 (3.06 GHz M-P4, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB 5200Go graphics *sigh*, and a 40GB 4200 or 5400 RPM HD (im on vacation, and cant remember which)) Besides the fact that my laptop crashes if it is too hot and I press down on the left side of the chassis (design flaw), it makes a good laptop.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
OK, just did the deed and broke down my computer and setup my laptop stand. Here it is. Kinda messy right now b/c I'm still getting stuff organized.

First pic (Laptop in stand with 19" LCD hooked up)

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/NFS4/DSC_0135.jpg

Second pic (shot of 4-port USB 2.0 hub built into the base of the stand)

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/NFS4/DSC_0136.jpg
NICE, that's a sweet little setup

How easy is it to just pop the laptop out of that stand? And how much was the stand?

NeBaWONG

Mar 12, 2002
OK, just did the deed and broke down my computer and setup my laptop stand. Here it is. Kinda messy right now b/c I'm still getting stuff organized.

Nice pics!! Wow you definently sold me on getting this dock now. I really wanted a setup like that to hook up to my 19" LCD monitor. The only thing i wish was that my 19" lcd monitor had an S-video connection so i could hook it up digitally to my lappy. I dunno how i will like using VGA instead of normal DVI

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Not yet, but that's the plan as soon as I start work (hopefully September).

This machine will become a linux server and the laptop is intended to be my primary machine. Most of what gaming I do is on my PS2 these days, so I don't worry too much about it. I've been thinking about putting together an SFF Athlon 64 system for gaming-only, but the more I think about it, the less I plan to bother.

We'll see how the plan pans out though, as yet I lack laptop action.

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: NeBaWONG

Nice pics!! Wow you definently sold me on getting this dock now. I really wanted a setup like that to hook up to my 19" LCD monitor. The only thing i wish was that my 19" lcd monitor had an S-video connection so i could hook it up digitally to my lappy. I dunno how i will like using VGA instead of normal DVI

You're better off with the VGA than s-vid. s-vid has low resolution and isn't digital either.

I bought my new laptop as my upgrade, I was still using an A-XP & 9700P. I didn't sell that, it is now my HTPC.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
>>>>Does anyone here do all of their main stuff with a laptop only? If so, what do you use?

I recently got rid of my desktop and moved everything to my new laptop.

I use my laptop for (almost) everything I did my desktop:

Ripping/Burning DVDs/CDs
Managing the zillion digital photoes I've taken over the year
Playing games (currently Guild wars).
Research/Web browsing/Word Processing and Power Pointing for school.

Keys to my laptop success:

A strong GPU (ruled out thinkpads.)
Good docking station (w. VGA and DVI out (ruled out Dell Inspirons)
Gig ethernet (For the home file server)

OK the home file server may be cheating a little but that's an architecture I moved to way before going laptop. For the $300 I spend on my Poweredge SC everyone should have a home file server. It simplifies everything when the family has all it's important stuf in one place.

>>>> she complains 'cuz she can't be in the same room with me

I had this problem early in my marriage. This does not require a laptop to fix; I simply moved my rig to the family room. At first it looked like cr@p but at least there was no more tension generated by me disappearing all evening. I evenentually made a small matx system (radeon 9800, P4 2.6c) and stuck it in the coffee table (which I selected for it's computer hideability). Problem solved and the couch is more comfortable than any computer chair.

You would think a 19" LCD on the cofee table would have a low WAF (wife acceptance factor) but mine does not mind it. When we entertain I throw up a slide show and it becomes a conversation piece instead of an out of place eye sore.

If I get heavy into video editing I might move back to a desktop. Or not, we'll see how it goes, right now I am really enjoying just having one main system to maintain; I just got back from a trip to HI and it was so cool to have my entire home environment sitting on the lanai of our condo watching the ships go by.

Re: email. I'm slowly getting all my contacts to switch to my GMAIL account. I still use thunderbird and editing in gmail is still a little rough, but I find myself using thunderbird less and less....

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: trikster2
>>>> she complains 'cuz she can't be in the same room with me

I had this problem early in my marriage. This does not require a laptop to fix; I simply moved my rig to the family room. At first it looked like cr@p but at least there was no more tension generated by me disappearing all evening. I evenentually made a small matx system (radeon 9800, P4 2.6c) and stuck it in the coffee table (which I selected for it's computer hideability). Problem solved and the couch is more comfortable than any computer chair.
I'm not married, but I might as well be :p 4 years and counting

That was a thought of ours at first, but she was worried about how ugly my desk is :p If I had an LCD & an armoire that would work, but alas money doesn't grow on trees ;)

Maybe some day I'll throw together a dual core SFF with a 2001FP :D

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Ever since i got my iXPS2, i don't use my home machine much. Just to load movies and such (it's my HTPC as well), but rarely for browsing and not for gaming.

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: trikster2
You would think a 19" LCD on the cofee table would have a low WAF (wife acceptance factor) but mine does not mind it.

LOL I've gotta remember that one. I think you have a lower WAF level ther than I do, I had a hard time getting the HTPC in the room even though it is in a Antec Sonata and fits in with the reciever nicely!

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
If I had an LCD & an armoire that would work, but alas money doesn't grow on trees ;)

Maybe some day I'll throw together a dual core SFF with a 2001FP :D

Man, I'm shooting for the BIG LCD, projector with large wall space. I'd have better luck with the armoire I think...

Tostada

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

I don't know... I'd still consider that hurtin'. :)

I agree with you guys on pretty much every point except DVD burning. I really think it's pretty silly that most people get DVD burners on their laptops at all.

The best laptop just can't come close to even a somewhat outdated desktop with multiple 3.5" 7200RPM drives. Even if you have a 7200RPM laptop drive, it's slower than a 3.5" desktop one. Even if you have an 11 lb. Sager with a desktop drive, it still only has one. Compressing a DVD really chokes when your source is on the same drive you're encoding to. I mean, with DVD Shrink you can rip, recompress and burn a DVD in about 45 min, which would beat most laptops by a factor of three.

I suppose sticking a nice modern 250+ GB 7200RPM drive in a firewire enclosure would solve most of the problems, and an external Plextor burner would solve the slow ripping/burning with the flimsy little laptop burner.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
so good point:

laptops are bad for pirating dvds

Or possibly OK if you add a bunch of external stuff. (like a firewire drive or a file server)

For me that's not an issue. With netflix I see whatever I want when I want, not sure why I would want a bunch of DVDs cluttering my shelves.

Well ok I do have a bunch of DVDs cluttering up my shelfs, I can't stop people from giving me stuff like futurama and family guy collections. But I sure as heck don't need more.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

NICE, that's a sweet little setup

How easy is it to just pop the laptop out of that stand? And how much was the stand?

Not bad at all. Just slide it out, and slide it back in. There's about an 8" USB cord that retracts from the back/top of the stand that you can pull out and plug into a USB port on your laptop.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
I use my Dell I9200 for my home computer.

I use it for everything that I used my old desktop for.

Games, music, burning disks, web surfin, anything multimedia.

The best thing about the setup is I can take her with me anywhere.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a full desktop..

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I am considering going to a notebook to replace my desktop. My current PC is in dire need of upgrading - well it is beyond upgrading, I just need to build a new one. So I thought, hell I would just get a killer type laptop and go that route.

I really like what the Ferrari 4000 has to offer and Newegg has it listed for $2174 which seems relatively reasonable.

Can anybody else recommend some desktop replacement rigs? It seems that Dells are kinda pricey for what you get and I do not know too terribly much about notebook computers.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
The Ferrari is a great machine, that is still semi-portable. Check out our first impressions on it:
http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/06/27/2005/326/0/
We will have a full review out very shortly

Dell is overpriced if you're looking to pay full retail. Find some Dell coupons (commonly in the Hot Deals forum here) and you'll get a Dell Inspiron 9300 for pretty cheap. 17" widescreen, Pentium M, GeForce 6800 graphics. A great DTR, check out our review here:
http://www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/dell/89/1/1/