Does anyone use a clip-on lavalier microphone for gaming?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I want to be able to talk on VOIP (Teamspeak/Ventrilo) with friends, but also want to continue using my z5500 surround sound speakers. A 3.5mm omni-directional lavalier microphone seems to make sense, or perhaps a headworn microphone. Desk microphones are nice, but they take up desk-space and I am trying to avoid having that happen.

Can anyone attest to using a Lav mic or a headworn mic for gaming? How is the receiving-end audio volume? Any recommendations?

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
The lav mics we use at our studio are usually pretty amazing for picking up only voice sound. Even outside on very windy days the audio will come through very clearly. The only issue is that because we are using mics for recording for TV, I don't know how the mics that will have a USB or other connector are going to compare, because we don't have any lavs that connect like that. They all go to a transmitter or XLR cable.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I feel like a lavalier would be ideal for desk space conservation. It would look pretty funny though!

On a side note, does anyone use their webcam mic for gaming purposes? My Logitech C310 has one but I've never really used it and thus don't know if it is adequate.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
in a pinch i've used earbuds as a microphone for gaming voip, i assure you any actual mic will work fine, including a webcam mic =)