Does anyone still play D&D?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Ranger X
I played once and I never understood the point of D&D. The DM controls everything and if he has beef with you outside of the game, he can make your D&D life miserable. It's too cheezy in my books.

A good DM can make it really fun, A bad DM can make it equally lame.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
well, you really try to find a DM that doesn't have beef with you. The DM's job is to allow his/her players to have fun and if they come up with an imaginative setting/ story then all the better. The DM should challenge the players so that the players think but not make it a player vs DM environment.

Think of a computer game maker except without the computer.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I used to have all the books, but I sold them all. I could never find anyone who wanted to play that wasn't 1) too nerdy and 2) willing to be serious (everyone wanted to joke around half the time which wasn't fun in my opinion).

I still like D&D computer games though.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: datalink7
I used to have all the books, but I sold them all. I could never find anyone who wanted to play that wasn't 1) too nerdy and 2) willing to be serious (everyone wanted to joke around half the time which wasn't fun in my opinion).

I still like D&D computer games though.

same here. but i still have the 2nd edition books.

if anyone in around NIU want to play messag eme!

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
I played once and I never understood the point of D&D. The DM controls everything and if he has beef with you outside of the game, he can make your D&D life miserable. It's too cheezy in my books.

Example of a bad DM. LINKY! ;)

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve
Originally posted by: Maleficus

Example of a bad DM. LINKY! ;)

yes!! kodt is hilarious. well to those that play D&D anyways. Kenzerco has old Knights of the Dinner Table
online.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I used to play but group split up. It's hard to find a group of serious players now. I would play but don't wanna travel, so it would have to be an online game. I used to do this with a yahoo group using chat, it was pretty cool until everyone quit :(

LemonHerbWRX

Feb 18, 2004
I try to play it when I can, and several other RPGs. When I am not super lazy (which is almost always) I hang out at the local gaming shop called the Adventurer's Guild of Riverside.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Dragonsfoot

If it aint AD&D it aint D&D. 2nd Ed was shaky, and everything after that was trash that doesnt deserve to carry the D&D name.

what? 2nd Ed and AD&D were hard to access and had a lot of balance issues. You are just looking to the past through rose colored glasses.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I never played, but if I knew a bunch of hot girls that played it, that would probably motivate me...

It seems kind of backwards to play D&D when you could play it on the computer with the NWN or Baldurs Gate games.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: amoeba
Dragonsfoot

If it aint AD&D it aint D&D. 2nd Ed was shaky, and everything after that was trash that doesnt deserve to carry the D&D name.

what? 2nd Ed and AD&D were hard to access and had a lot of balance issues. You are just looking to the past through rose colored glasses.

AD&D had balance issues? Like what?? :confused:
And no rose colored glasses. You have to have a good understanding of D&D and its timelines to realize why 2nd Ed wasnt so hot and everything after sucked.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Dragonsfoot

And no rose colored glasses. You have to have a good understanding of D&D and its timelines to realize why 2nd Ed wasnt so hot and everything after sucked.

Well I don't want to get in to it here. I have played all the editions including the original 1st edition D&D. I'm just saying that you should give 3.5 a try before knocking it. Its pretty good.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

That's why I prefer to play either with a DM that I've played with before and I know that they're 100% impartial, or someone who none of the other players have played with before either.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Dragonsfoot

Well I don't want to get in to it here. I have played all the editions including the original 1st edition D&D. I'm just saying that you should give 3.5 a try before knocking it. Its pretty good.

Oh, dont misunderstand what I'm saying. Yes, it certainly has good points from what I can tell. I've skimmed through a few of the books. My point is, it should carry the AD&D name. While a good fantasy game, its not a continuation of AD&D in the traditional sense.

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
used to play -- 2.0.

played for a bit in the dorms 2 years ago w/ 3.0. not much, though. too busy.

now i don't have time to play...and i don't know anyone who does.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Hey... someone here should write an IRC dice bot and we can all get in and play one massive game! :D :D

I seem to remember seeing one. maybe it came with the AD&D computer thing. hmm cant remember where i seen it heh