Does anyone still play D&D?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Originally posted by: Ime
It's been over ten years since I last played AD&D.

I still like to play computer games based on it though!
Same here, I found to hard to get a group of player together, not to mention a decent DM. Computer based games are just as fun without all the time needed to set up a decent game.

Yah it's just too hard to commit to playing regularly. We prefer to play more conventional board games. You might spend 6-8 hours playing Age Of Renaissance, but at the end of the night when the sun comes up, the game is over and if you got other stuff to do next week, it doesn't matter if you can't show up. The rest of the group will play a different game.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: MadPeriot
Played every 2 weeks on Saturday with my friends for more than a year when I was in High School. Our dungeon master was pretty good. I was a elf ranger on level 7. Those days are long gone! Stopped playing cuz heard was satanic.

Satanic? :confused::Q

I know a great DM, just looking for other players now.

rolleye.gif
Satanic! Hahahaha! I would LOVE to hear an excuse for why hypocritical "Christians" think it's satanic. :D :evil:

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
it always looked interesting to me but never got a chance to check out the game. anybody wanna teach me how to play?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: neovan
it always looked interesting to me but never got a chance to check out the game. anybody wanna teach me how to play?

When are you free? :D I'm pretty much a beginner as well, but I used to play a similar game with my sisters when we were younger.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Played every 2 weeks on Saturday with my friends for more than a year when I was in High School. Our dungeon master was pretty good. I was a elf ranger on level 7. Those days are long gone! Stopped playing cuz heard was satanic.

rolleye.gif
Satanic! Hahahaha! I would LOVE to hear an excuse for why hypocritical "Christians" think it's satanic. :D :evil:

I remember in the 80's when they had a bunch of movies about fanatic D&D players who used to go into the sewer and rediculous stuff like that.

Cheers,
Aquaman

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
sorry that was beyoud dorky/nerdy even for me during my High School days. LOL

though I did play magic the gathering.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman

rolleye.gif

I remember in the 80's when they had a bunch of movies about fanatic D&D players who used to go into the sewer and rediculous stuff like that.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Yeah, I think it was "Live-Action Roleplaying" or something like that. In essence, I guess it's pretty harmless...it's basically like theater, just acting out a game instead of a play. But when you start throwing in some pagan God rituals, and bring out real weapons and all, then yeah...that's a wheeee bit overboard.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I don't even remember how it's played.

I had all the AD&D manuals and played on a regular basis around the ages of 10-13. (1981-1984)

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
I played and DMed 3.0 a lot, but I quit when 3.5 came out. I didn't want to have to buy all new books again, or deal with all the changes.

Good luck finding some real people to play with, you're likely to end up with some sex-starved nerds covered in pimples.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001

I'm a dungeon master but probably not the kind you're looking for. :evil:

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: upsciLLion

I'm a dungeon master but probably not the kind you're looking for. :evil:

rolleye.gif

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
I picked up the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual yesterday. :)

You really torture the nerds on here Dezign : ). I think I'm in love. Too bad you are taken :brokenheart:

May 31, 2001

rolleye.gif

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Meets Dark Dungeons

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

rolleye.gif

OMFG!! :D ROFL :beer::D

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

rolleye.gif

OMFG!! :D ROFL :beer::D

The original Chick Tract was laughable by itself, when you add MST3K-type humor, it's even better. :D

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
and yes to answer the original question. I still play 3.5 D&D. Its so much more streamlined than the old versions and much easier to pick up. I'm just surprised that Dezign brought it up as its stereotypical player has "Comic Book Guy" physique.

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by: amoeba
I picked up the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual yesterday. :)

You really torture the nerds on here Dezign : ). I think I'm in love. Too bad you are taken :brokenheart:

Darn right she is, back off buddy.

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! SLEEP! :p

Yes, I play...at least did. I cant find a group here either. :(

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: fumbduck
Originally posted by: amoeba

Darn right she is, back off buddy.

Jeez man, lighten up. I don't think I was being serious but with the general Yagt atmosphere of these boards I guess the jest didn't come through.

Fiera

Jan 31, 2002
Yep, we play 3e almost every week. we alternate between 2 different 'main' games. I run one, one of the girls in the group runs the other.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i used to play all the time. but the group i played with kinda split up. either they moved out of state or such.

i would love to start playing again.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I would play if there were some people to play with around here that weren't spittin images of the stereotypical nerd.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
I played once and I never understood the point of D&D. The DM controls everything and if he has beef with you outside of the game, he can make your D&D life miserable. It's too cheezy in my books.