Does anyone still play D&D?

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
It's been over ten years since I last played AD&D.

I still like to play computer games based on it though!

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Someone contact Wizards of the Coast(?) expect profits to be up starting the end of the 1st quarter and into the 2nd?

To answer your question nope.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Couldnt resist but.... will this give incentive for some ppl to really don a robe and wizard's hat? :evil:

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I play Shadowrun. Same general concepts (battle, magic, weapons, etc...) - just based in the future.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
If you like playing D&D, then go ahead and do it... who cares what anyone thinks about you.

That being said... D&D is for retards.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If you're reading the DM Guide, then you really shouldn't be playing as a player. There's way too many things in there that players really shouldn't know. Anyway, I have my monster manual and player's handbook behind me on the shelf and my dice in my desk. I haven't found someone who wants to play. The only people I can find are stupid 12 year olds who never actually get together because their mommies can't drive them to the party every week. Grr...
rolleye.gif

If someone around the PDX area wants to get together for a weekly game, I am ALL for it. Likewise, I used to play a game online too. This guy on IRC had a dice bot that rocked. It's really really fun that way!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: xboxist
I play Shadowrun. Same general concepts (battle, magic, weapons, etc...) - just based in the future.

I used to play Bubble Gum Crisis (table top), but the only guy I knew who actually had the manuals went off to college in another state. :( I can't find those books ANYWHERE.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
If you're reading the DM Guide, then you really shouldn't be playing as a player. There's way too many things in there that players really shouldn't know. Anyway, I have my monster manual and player's handbook behind me on the shelf and my dice in my desk. I haven't found someone who wants to play. The only people I can find are stupid 12 year olds who never actually get together because their mommies can't drive them to the party every week. Grr...
rolleye.gif

If someone around the PDX area wants to get together for a weekly game, I am ALL for it. Likewise, I used to play a game online too. This guy on IRC had a dice bot that rocked. It's really really fun that way!

It's extremely hard finding anyone who will play (or even admit they're interested). I put up an ad looking for players, hopefully some nice, somewhat normal people will reply. :)

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Ime
It's been over ten years since I last played AD&D.

I still like to play computer games based on it though!
Same here, I found to hard to get a group of player together, not to mention a decent DM. Computer based games are just as fun without all the time needed to set up a decent game.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
heard some nerds talking at a movie once that they got rid of the THAC0 thing......... is that true?

Yep. Thaco has been replaced with attack bonuses. Easier figure out. You basically compare your attack bonus to an enemies armor class and then add in your roll, subtracting any bonuses the enemy gets from skills or feats.

Example:

you have an attack bonus of +10
enemy has an armor class of +15 + 4 more from a dodging feat

You need to roll a 9 or higher on a D20 dice to hit them.

MadPeriot

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2003
Played every 2 weeks on Saturday with my friends for more than a year when I was in High School. Our dungeon master was pretty good. I was a elf ranger on level 7. Those days are long gone! Stopped playing cuz heard was satanic.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I actually, just recently, gave away my 1st edition books. It was 2 boxes (60 pounds each) full of manuels, adventure scenarios and assorted D&D stuff including 3 years of Dragon magazine.

Cheers,
Aquaman

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: MadPeriot
Played every 2 weeks on Saturday with my friends for more than a year when I was in High School. Our dungeon master was pretty good. I was a elf ranger on level 7. Those days are long gone! Stopped playing cuz heard was satanic.

Satanic? :confused::Q

I know a great DM, just looking for other players now.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I picked up the 3e Player's Handbook and DMG way back when they first come out, but haven't ever actually used them. I mostly just wanted to see what all had changed, and keep myself entertained till NWN came out.

I was gonna buy a few more when the Wizard's of the Coast store at a local mall here was closing (something like 45%+ off everything), but couldn't really justify it...seeing as how I'm broke as ALL HELL right now and everything.

Man, I need a job.

Edit: And yeah, to re-address one of the above posts, THAC0 is gone. It's been replaced by attack bonuses (as mentioned), and the D20 system as a whole. Basically, just about everything is handled in one way or another with the D20 (other than weapon damage and all that). Interesting stuff.