does anyone remember when cd burners first came out?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 18, 1999
The worse ones were those NEC drives with the caddies.

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
I must be one of the few on here who still use an optical drive. My blu-ray burner gets used for totally legal and legitimate backup purposes.
It's crossed my mind to get a Bluray burner for long term backups of important/archive stuff, but the media is so expensive, it's cheaper to just store on spinning disks, and also have copies on cold disks. LTO tapes have also crossed my mind, they are cheaper (per GB) but the drives are super expensive. I always end up going back to just hard drives.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I was one of the early adopter for cd burner. *piracy bragging removed*
Edit: don't really remember the brand, possibly Memorex

We've already had two mod posts in this thread about bragging on piracy and you do it anyway?

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2011
It's crossed my mind to get a Bluray burner for long term backups of important/archive stuff, but the media is so expensive, it's cheaper to just store on spinning disks, and also have copies on cold disks. LTO tapes have also crossed my mind, they are cheaper (per GB) but the drives are super expensive. I always end up going back to just hard drives.
As a result of this thread popping up again I thought I'd check the cost of DVD DL media, which has come down a bit since I last checked. If I didn't have a stack of 4GB DVD recordable blank discs already I might consider it.

WilliamM2

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2012
4x Memorex for $99 after rebate in early '99 from Staples. It was actually very reliable. Discs were always free from Staples too.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I just pulled out a bag full of unopened CD-RWs. Completely useless these days. I still have a DVD writer in my desktop though. Last I used it to burn my (yes mine) 2017 tax software.

ASK THE COMMUNITY