Does anyone play non-mainstream boardgames?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
eh... I've played axis and allies, risk, monopoly, star wars epic duels, ... etc

I found last year Railroad Tycoon as a boardgame and really enjoyed it...

Now im looking to bolster my collection of real gems of the lesser played games...

So far I am researching:

Settlers of Catan + cities + Seafarers...
World or Warcraft the boardgame + shadow of war + the burning cruisade...

Age of Piracy

Sea Rover

Federation Command
and
Twilight Imperium 3

If anyone has played these games and has an opionion.... or maybe another title to add to the list... that would be awesome...

one thing I hope to avoid are all types of Trading Card/Collectors games... im not buying endless packs of things just to get "rares/uncommons" to bolster a game...
the game must be complete with maybe 1-2 full expansions...

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
settlers of catan is VERY good, risk 2210 is excellent, and carcassone (not the correct spelling but another Klaus game like settlers).

AndeeG

Oct 18, 2006
Try rail baron - that one's a lot of fun. Also, Illuminati, while it isn't really a board game, is great if you can get at least four or so people together.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Yep, there's a reason why Settlers was the winner of some tabletop game of the year award...Carcassone is also good. Not exactly a board game, but a lot of my friends play Munchkins and its many expansions.

edit: just read your comment on collectible card games, which Munchkin isn't...you can play with just the base set or any combination of the expansions. I personally think that some expansions are better than others, but it's hard to describe to someone who's never played it.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Mad Magazine had a board game, it was like a retarded mixture of Life & Monopoly. My GF's son has it, I think he inherited it from her because it's older than dirt. We played it a few times, just like the magazine it's really stupid but I loved it. You pick a card and have to do what it says, a lot of the shit will make you look like a total dumbass. If you dont follow what the card says you are penalized. The ultimate object is to loose all your money first, nothing like getting down to your last 25 bucks and pulling a card that has you swap money with the player on your right who happens to have like $800.

I don't know how often I could really play it, but it entertained me the 3 or 4 times I've played.

I don't remember the name of this one, and it wasn't exactly a "board game" loved it when I was a kid. You had a coffin with holes in it, you stuck your hand threw a hole 2 snaked curved around it, and took turns putting one of the crosses in the holes until you hit the trigger which would cause the snake thing to shoot up and grab your wrist. Would be lame to play today I guess, but when I was 7 it was scary every time the trigger was set off haha. Anyone remember the name of this??

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: thepd7
settlers of catan is VERY good, risk 2210 is excellent, and carcassone (not the correct spelling but another Klaus game like settlers).

give me some details on Catan...plz

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Acquire is a fun game.

Rail baron, farming game, and monopoly are family favorites.

Crainium is good for a laugh.

Rook is pretty fun to play as well (card game)

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'll second Settlers of Catan and Rail Barons. Beware, though. Rail Barons can be a LOOOOONG game if you have a group of determined friends.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A friend of mine is a board game freak. He recently bought a new house and instead of keeping food in the pantry (I'm talking a walk-in, 3'x5' pantry) he keeps his board games there. And it's 3/4 full. In addition to the ones mentioned already, some of the games I've played lately:

Puerto Rico
Power Grid
Bohnanza
Bang!
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Robo Rally
Tikal
Java
Wits and Wagers
Evo
Shear Panic

There are a ton of fun board games out there, check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Once in a while, my grandchildren talk me into playing Chutes & Ladders and Candyland with them...:p

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Settlers of Catan is real popular at my school. Have you played the future variant of Risk? Risk 2122 or something like that. It's fun.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
My friend introduced me to Puerto Rico. It's pretty good but a little mechanical.