Does anyone listen to heavy metal/death metal anymore?

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
I know of Pantera but that's pretty much it.

Are there any other popular heavy metal/death metal (admittedly I don't really know the difference between the two if there even is one) bands out there that you can recommend?

I'm trying to understand the genre better.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
Yes.

There is a huge difference between heavy metal and death metal. However, to somebody that doesn't listen to metal, it all sounds the same, and is widely regarded as 'noise.'

The difference between heavy metal and death metal is largely 1) the vocals, and 2) speed of the music. Most people are put off by the vocals, which I can understand. It's abrasive, and certainly not for everybody. On the other hand, the music behind the vocals is quite often extremely technical, well written, and very difficult to play. That's what death metal has evolved into today. How fast can we play, and how much can we challenge ourselves with odd time changes, yet still make a cohesive song.

For somebody that hasn't listened to much/any death metal, I would recommend some Arch Enemy. Some of the best guitar solos and leads you'll hear in metal. They're pretty heavy, and labeled as 'melodic death metal,' though they're straying from death metal more and more with each album. Still though, awesome guitars.

What kind of stuff are you into now? Just Pantera?

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I'd argue that it's probably more popular now than it was ten years ago.

To me, death metal is growls and heavy riffs.

Heavy metal is 80's hair bands.

A lot of popular stuff now - Trivium, Killswitch Engage, A Day to Remember - is more metalcore.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yes I do.

My favorite groups are: Black Dahlia, Misery Index, Dimmu Borgir and Son of Aurelius.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not death metal, but regular metal I do, but not many bands from the past several years as I can't find much that appeals to me; I like The Sword, Baroness...I can't think of any other recent bands. :hmm:

Still a bunch of old stuff I listen to though.

KT

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Heavy metal music is very much "uncool" now.

Some of the bands that I do like (80's and 90's period - check out the songs on Youtube) = Great White (Angel Song), Cinderella (Don't Know What You Got til It Gone) , Def Leppard (Hysteria - they will have a concert with Heart in Dallas in July 20th), Guns N Roses (November Rain) , Scorpions, Van Halen (with Diamond Dave), Iron Maiden, just to name a few.

Here is a very much "uncompleted" list = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

Some of the newer "heavy music" bands that I like = Linkin Park (In The End), System Of A Down (Arial).

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Maybe my definition of "metal" is off because there are tonnes of band on that list that I would not consider metal and do not listen to.

KT

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
I'd argue that it's probably more popular now than it was ten years ago.

To me, death metal is growls and heavy riffs.

Heavy metal is 80's hair bands.

A lot of popular stuff now - Trivium, Killswitch Engage, A Day to Remember - is more metalcore.

Cool, thanks for the breakdown. That makes sense.

Is "metalcore" the same as death metal then? Looking up those bands, I've actually heard of A Day to Remember...

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Heavy metal music is very much "uncool" now.

Some of the bands that I do like (80's and 90's period) = Great White (Angel Song), Cinderella (Don't Know What You Got til It Gone) , Def Leppard (Hysteria - they will have a concert with Heart in Dallas in July 20th), Guns N Roses, Scorpions, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, just to name a few.

Here is a very much "uncompleted" list = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

Some of the new "heavy music" bands that I like = Linkin Park, System Of A Down.

Interesting that Linkin Park and System of a Down are classified as "new heavy metal"... I like both of them too but I thought they were more alternative.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
metalcore is like death metal with less growl and more catchy riffs

It tends to be a little less dark as well. Metalcore is where you're going to find the most "accessible" metal music, and it's a good place to start, but you'll find more talent in the progressive and death metal scene.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Interesting that Linkin Park and System of a Down are classified as "new heavy metal"... I like both of them too but I thought they were more alternative.

Well, I would not go that far to say they are "heavy metal" but more like of "heavy music" for lack of a better word/description, IMO. I also like Limp Blizkit.

Death metal to me (80's and 90s bands) = Motor Head and that band that dressed up like monster (can't remember their name -Gores?) and no, not Kiss, LOL.

Last edited:

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
If you want to see how heavy it gets, get some Beneath The Massacre, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and The Berzerker. Perfect examples of speed, precision, and technicality that gets written off as talentless noise.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
And then you have stuff like Last Chance To Reason from right here in Maine that have gone quite far with their stuff. Just signed to a major metal label, and are doing very well for themselves, for coming out of here. Wildly technical, but still very listenable, and very interesting. YouTube > Last chance to Reason - Upload Complete. I'd post a link, but it's blocked at work.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
If you want to see how heavy it gets, get some Beneath The Massacre, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and The Berzerker. Perfect examples of speed, precision, and technicality that gets written off as talentless noise.

Thanks for the recommendations. What I have a lot of difficulty with is understanding the lyrics to several of the bands I've heard so far. This might be a stupid question, but are you supposed to be able to discern what the lyrics are in thrasher/death metal/metalcore or do you just listen to the music for the riffs and google the lyrics later?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
it takes a bit of time to get used to the growl, the more you listen to it the easier it becomes to understand.

way back when i was origionally drawn in by the sound, eventually figured out lyrics

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
And then you have stuff like Last Chance To Reason from right here in Maine that have gone quite far with their stuff. Just signed to a major metal label, and are doing very well for themselves, for coming out of here. Wildly technical, but still very listenable, and very interesting. YouTube > Last chance to Reason - Upload Complete. I'd post a link, but it's blocked at work.

ill check them out when i get home.

<- displaced Mainer