Does anyone know of a DVD ripper that is free that can rip individual titles from DVD?

Han678

Nov 29, 2016
I was using MakeMKV but I have run across several of my DVDs that it can not rip the individual titles from it rips huge files that are 6GBs in size when they should be individual files that are more like 700MBs in size.
This is for DVDs that I own, I want to rip them run them through VidCoder and encode them using H.264 so all of them can fit on a BD-R. My Blu-Ray players can all play individual MKVs and I want them all on one disc so that I don't have to swap not to mention DVDs scratch a lot more easily than BD-Rs. I want to keep my originals in a safe place. Does anyone know of a free DVD ripper that can rip individual titles like I need? Like I implied, I am NOT a pirate and pay for my DVDs.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have used DVD Fab and Decrypter very successfully over the past few years. I believe it is still available as freeware.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
My experience has been when I get a 6GB file with MakeMKV I also get several smaller files that are actually broken out portions of the 6GB file. Like if its a DVD with episodes of a show, I will have one 6GB file and also 3 2GB files. I compare the files and find the 6GB is just the same 3 files stuck together. A DVD can't even hold that much data anyway so its a quirk.

Has that not been the case for you?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
No. I have only ripped commercial DVDs.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
My experience has been when I get a 6GB file with MakeMKV I also get several smaller files that are actually broken out portions of the 6GB file. Like if its a DVD with episodes of a show, I will have one 6GB file and also 3 2GB files. I compare the files and find the 6GB is just the same 3 files stuck together. A DVD can't even hold that much data anyway so its a quirk.

Has that not been the case for you?
I noticed that with the couple I tried (Green Arrow). Have Lifetime DVDFab, so I usually use that. I suppose I should take a look at Handbrake again since it finally went version 1.0