Does anyone here not like Led Zepplin?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If you don't care for Zep, I'd like to ask why? Yea, their music after Physical Grafitti isn't their best work but c'mon...

Albums Led Zepplin- Physical Grafitti are classics. There aren't many songs that can top Stairway to Heaven. Maybe Freebird, Hotel California come awfully close.

Currently listening to Led Zep 3. It's crazy how they went from hard rock (Led Zep 1-2) to a mostly acoustic album

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They are one of my favorite bands of all time, and while I rarely listen to classic rock anymore if I do there is almost always Zeppelin in there.

Reactions: zinfamous

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'm not the biggest fan honestly. I mean their music isn't bad by any means and they certainly made their mark in musical history so I can appreciate it from that point of view. It just wouldn't be my first choice to put on if I was throwing a party or having friends over or even just sitting down by myself with music going in the background.
As to why....well not really sure how to describe it. I guess its just not really my style if that makes sense.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Probably my second favorite band. Even though some of their work isn't theirs...

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, and their song, 'Tangerine' is my favorite track. Tons of other great ones too but that one gets me right in the feels.

If you like Zeppelin and don't outright hate cover bands...check out Zepperella on youtube. They've been together quite a few years now and sound pretty good. Gretchen Menn (axegrinder) is a goddess.

Edit: I would agree that a lot of their later or last few albums were "meh" to my ears. It wasn't terrible, just not quite the 'classic sound'.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I like a lot of their songs, I also think a lot of their songs are "meh".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
yeah, guilty. here. i dont like zep.

disclaimer: of course i like stairway. I WILL LET YOU KNOW that i watched Wayne's World during the original theatrical run when it still had the original "stairway ? DENIED !" joke in it.

Anyway, i don't like zeppelin.

First off, i think their albums are not recorded well. I dont know why, but the sound is murky. Squashed together. It just doesn't sound clear like it should. It's not just your bootleg cassette tape, on mp3, on the radio ..
Second, they lean far too much on "folk" rock, idk wth that is about but whenever i hear a mandolin or even a 12-string, i tune out.
They don't ... they don't rock. I'm sorry but Good Times Bad Times is not a banger, not like Hocus Pocus, or Easy Livin, or .. i put them in the same category as Don Felder, but worse. Think the music of Heavy Metal (except The Mob Rules), that kind of "wants to be a badass, but is really just a grandpa" music. Blue Oyster Cult, Journey, Boston .. Rush ..

I'm happy to listen to the Eagles, even the slow stuff, like Lyin' Eyes; it doesn't have to be Life In The Fast Lane every day. But it's not stuff that rocks.

for example;
The Cars - Just What I Needed - rocks
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer - does not rock.
Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar - rocks
Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love - does not rock.

Zep 1 has Babe Im Gonna Leave You that is ok if you are willing to put up with 6 minutes of waiting just to get to the coda; this could have been a great song, in context, if it was your ONE slow piece in an otherwise banging album, like Deep Purple's "Child In Time".
Communication Breakdown is decent if again, really badly recorded. The rest of the album is very forgettable.

I get it that at this time (1968) Beck - who provided the very guitar that Page recorded Zep 1 on - was still releasing Elvis covers, but in the same year you got In The Court Of The Crimson King, Electric Ladyland, Waiting For The Sun, Shades Of Deep Purple.

By next year they were already obsolete. Zep 2 has Wholla Lotta Love which is a pretty darn cool song, but in the same year you got Hot Rats, Abbey Road, Space Oddity, two Creedence records, and the rest of the album is pretty darn weak.
Zeppelin 3 has Tangerine, which is good, and would have been even better if Bonham knew how to play drums, and Immigrant Song, which epitomizes Zeppelin's songwriting - there's a riff, and then the bridge sucks balls.

in 1970 the following albums of note were released: Paranoid. Cosmo's Factory. Bridge Over Troubled Waters. American Beauty. Abraxas. Deep Purple In Rock. Morrison Hotel. The Man Who Sold The World.
I don't know how Zeppelin were even managing any airtime considering the competition; it'sprobably another case of McDonalds effect - they are mediocre, mediocre people like them.
I note that they were most likely entrenched due to Page's previous work in the Yardbirds, who were a big money machine. When you're a consumer, you don't often get to pick what you like, rather, you're *told* what you like, through marketing.

.. i mean, i don't HATE zeppelin, i just don't really want to listen to their songs. Most that i can bear to listen to have weird instrumentations, bad recording choices, weird breaks in the song that a good producer should have written out, and not much else to show for. I would *much* rather listen to the entire People Are Strange album that sit through a single live performance of Black Dog

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The only people I came across growing up, as my musical tastes began to develop, who didn't like Zep were

1) Hardcore Stones fans

and

2) Hardcore Who fans

Hardcore Who fans especially would shit on Zep every chance they could.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
disclaimer: of course i like stairway. I WILL LET YOU KNOW that i watched Wayne's World during the original theatrical run when it still had the original "stairway ? DENIED !" joke in it.
Is it gone now? I thought I remembered it still being there in my VHS copy. I still HAVE that retail VHS copy, if I need to go back and check :p
Second, they lean far too much on "folk" rock, idk wth that is about but whenever i hear a mandolin or even a 12-string, i tune out.

Zeppelin 3 has Tangerine, which is good
Don't both Stairway and Tangerine feature a 12 string, you savage?
Are you gonna dog on all the Tom Petty songs that have a 12 string too? ;)

As an owner of multiple mandolins and 12 strings, I feel personally attacked :D

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like Zeppelin, and if I never heard Stairway again, that would be just fine.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Greatest Rock band in History.

"All of my love" is probably the worst song they ever recorded. Plant & Jones wrote it. Page & Bonham didn't care for the song much.

I can listen to any of the albums when I'm in the mood for that particular album sound.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I love Zeppelin however courtesy of too much "Classic-Rock" FM radio in particular a LOT of their music is played out for me.

They also did produce their share of dreck ... but for those not old enough to recall when "albums" were a thing, the record companies required a certain amount of music to be included.

This frequently led to what was referred to as "filler" cuts with production quality all over the map being included on said albums that would likely never be released at all today.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, and their song, 'Tangerine' is my favorite track. Tons of other great ones too but that one gets me right in the feels.

If you like Zeppelin and don't outright hate cover bands...check out Zepperella on youtube. They've been together quite a few years now and sound pretty good. Gretchen Menn (axegrinder) is a goddess.

Edit: I would agree that a lot of their later or last few albums were "meh" to my ears. It wasn't terrible, just not quite the 'classic sound'.
I posted a Zepperella video a few years back. It blew my mind...:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't like Zeppelin, and if I never heard Stairway again, that would be just fine.
The Heart version from the Kennedy Honors is better than the Zeppelin version anyway.

Also, just to be clear, Moving in Stereo is the Cars’ one truly good song. Just What I Needed sucks hard.

I was a hard core Who fan and I never dumped on Zeppelin even if Whole Lotta Love is not a very good song and The Song Remains the Same is the second worst live album in the history of rock. Live at Leeds is the worst; The Who weren’t even pretending to try.

Reactions: Captante

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Is it gone now? I thought I remembered it still being there in my VHS copy. I still HAVE that retail VHS copy, if I need to go back and check :p

Don't both Stairway and Tangerine feature a 12 string, you savage?
Are you gonna dog on all the Tom Petty songs that have a 12 string too? ;)

As an owner of multiple mandolins and 12 strings, I feel personally attacked :D

ok so, in order. DO NOT google the new version of the WW stairway joke, because it's literally MADE of depression. keep your VHS tape, it's gold.

I would never shit on Tom Petty. Full Moon Fever is one of the world's great albums, and while i don't terribly like folky stuff, i can tolerate it when the song rocks.
Thank You. I did not realize I was in the mood to hear Black Dog!!!
wait until you hear this - a version of Wholla Lotta Love .. that DOESNT SUCK ! (i know, right?):

.. when 16yo girls rock harder than you .. your name may be Led Zeppelin.

• Haha

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Grew up listening to a lot of classic rock stations, and Zeppelin was over saturated. Never really got into them, always thought they were a bit overrated and overplayed. Not a band I put into playlist rotation often, save for maybe “Kashmir” and “Over the Hills and Far Away”. I actually find Robert Plant’s vocals grating, have always thought they would have sounded better with more of a Layne Staley, Mike Patton or Scott Weiland style vocalist...more of a hard rock edge, less Renaissance fair.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
One of the go to Zeppelin tracks I listen to is Over the Hills and Far Away. I like the album Presence, which is after Physical Graffiti - Achilles Last Stand is just a ripper, but also has Hots on for Nowhere, Royal Orleans, For Your Life - all good tunes.

Reactions: stargazr