Does Anyone Here Have A 2080ti That Has Not Failed? If So, Which Brand?

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
Has Anyone here owned a 2080ti since September or early October without it failing? I know the 2080ti's have high failure rates due to over heating. I think the only way to get around this is to either have a water cooled rig or to have a 2080ti brand that has a great fan, a fan that may have to be running at 60-70% all the time to keep it cooled enough and under 70 degrees.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
My 2080 Ti FE is running great since 5 October. It runs in the low 80's sometimes while gaming and for sure while crunching BOINC.

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
My 2080 Ti FE is running great since 5 October. It runs in the low 80's sometimes while gaming and for sure while crunching BOINC.

Even when your fan speed is at maximum? That isn't good at all. Having a GPU in the 80-90 range while gaming in 4-6 hour sessions is horrible. It won't last. If fan speed is at maximum or close to maximum then it should be doing 60-70.

I was gonna buy a 2080ti in Jan 2019 but it looks like they are all defective, time bombs waiting to fail.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
By January the problems will most likely be fixed and newer AIB cards with custom PCBs, VRM cooling & power delivery may come available. My EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ran at 1510MHz mid 80s for a year and a half sucking down all kinds of power. Went on to a friend who uses it the same as his main GPU. GPU temps in the low 80s are not going to do much in terms of longevity. The fans will be the first to fail.

Lets also make the distinction, lows 80s does not mean 90. Not defending the quality issues for Nvidia. There are lots of ways around high gpu temps, esp when people decide that one or two front intake and a rear exhaust is sufficient. Running OC'd CPU and GPU sucking down 500-700W of power needs sufficient cooling or your temps will always be high.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Even when your fan speed is at maximum? That isn't good at all. Having a GPU in the 80-90 range while gaming in 4-6 hour sessions is horrible. It won't last. If fan speed is at maximum or close to maximum then it should be doing 60-70.

I was gonna buy a 2080ti in Jan 2019 but it looks like they are all defective, time bombs waiting to fail.

No, my fan isn't running at maximum speed. I use a custom profile.

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
By January the problems will most likely be fixed and newer AIB cards with custom PCBs, VRM cooling & power delivery may come available. My EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ran at 1510MHz mid 80s for a year and a half sucking down all kinds of power. Went on to a friend who uses it the same as his main GPU. GPU temps in the low 80s are not going to do much in terms of longevity. The fans will be the first to fail.

Lets also make the distinction, lows 80s does not mean 90. Not defending the quality issues for Nvidia. There are lots of ways around high gpu temps, esp when people decide that one or two front intake and a rear exhaust is sufficient. Running OC'd CPU and GPU sucking down 500-700W of power needs sufficient cooling or your temps will always be high.

But you don't know for sure if they will be available? I can't seem to find any information from the major brands on when new custom cards will be released.

https://graphicscardhub.com/graphics-card-manufacturers-brands/

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Most high end GPU's using blower style cooling from both Nvidia and AMD have run in the low 80's at load. That's how they are designed, and they work. Unfortunately, they are usually pretty noisy. I've had the same experience with an HD 5870, 6950, RX 680, and 470.

There is nothing wrong with the GPU running up to that temp. My 5870 did have an issue with the thermal tape failed on the VRM modules, but that's another issue. I don't buy blower style GPU's anymore due to noise levels.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
But you don't know for sure if they will be available? I can't seem to find any information from the major brands on when new custom cards will be released.

https://graphicscardhub.com/graphics-card-manufacturers-brands/

Nope I don’t, thats why I said they may come available.

To me, there isn’t enough demand from gamers to warrant buying a $1000+ GPU purely do to the fact new games worth playing are few and far between. And a 1060-1080 Ti will be more than sufficient unless playing at 4K, for the most part.

20xx series push more frames, but the use cases for gamers/enthusiasts are limited. Prices are too spicy :stew:

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
Asus Dual RTX 2080Ti, uses reference PCB. No issues whatsoever. Temps never exceed 76 using a custom fan profile. Max fan speed is 80%.

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
Asus Dual RTX 2080Ti, uses reference PCB. No issues whatsoever. Temps never exceed 76 using a custom fan profile. Max fan speed is 80%.

If you left the fan speed on 50-60% while not playing a game would it go below 70? And if you left the fan speed on maximum when playing a game would it stay below 75?

That is too high, I have a blower FAN GPU and those are supposedly hotter in MidTower and FullTower castes. They are better for minitower cases I think. I have a midtower case.

My EVGA 680GTX 4GB Classified edition is constantly at 55-62 degrees and that is if it is left on all day not playing games. If I play a game I put the fan to 70% and it stays at 65-68 degrees and I usually play a PC game for 4-6 hours in 1 session or 2-4 hours in 1 session if it's a game I don't play as often as my main ones. If I don't put it to 70% when in a game then

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
If you left the fan speed on 50-60% while not playing a game would it go below 70? And if you left the fan speed on maximum when playing a game would it stay below 75?

That is too high, I have a blower FAN GPU and those are supposedly hotter in MidTower and FullTower castes. They are better for minitower cases I think. I have a midtower case.

My EVGA 680GTX 4GB Classified edition is constantly at 55-62 degrees and that is if it is left on all day not playing games. If I play a game I put the fan to 70% and it stays at 65-68 degrees and I usually play a PC game for 4-6 hours in 1 session or 2-4 hours in 1 session if it's a game I don't play as often as my main ones. If I don't put it to 70% when in a game then

It goes to under 70 all the time, depending on the game I'm playing. Like Metal Gear Solid 5 at 4k everything maxed I can't hear any fan noise. Temps are in the low 60's in that game.

Battlefield 5 / Shadow of the Tomb Raider temps are 72 to 76. Fans never exceed 80%, in fact only hits 80% if temps goes over 75 degrees.

At idle temps dip to below 40 degrees. Fans are at 10% at that point for my custom fan profile, shutting off at less than 40 degrees.

Fans at 70% is just fine. Not even loud, you can hear the fans spinning but it's just enough to let you know it's working. Not sure why you're trying to make a big deal out of it. I've shared my profile to other Asus Dual RTX 2080Ti owners and they love it. I've had a 980Ti and that card was far more loud and noisy.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I know the 2080ti's have high failure rates due to over heating.
That isn't true. From the tests we've seen heat has no relation to the failures.

The consistent Space Invaders pattern is pointing to some kind of memory flaw.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
My EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ran at 1510MHz mid 80s for a year and a half sucking down all kinds of power. Went on to a friend who uses it the same as his main GPU. GPU temps in the low 80s are not going to do much in terms of longevity. The fans will be the first to fail.
Quadro 4000 (Fermi). With dual screen or stereo mode they were never truly idle. Linux driver has "automatic" fan speed control. It starts about 32%. By the time the temps hit 90, the fan speeds up to 33%. Yes, indeed.

We fixed the fan to 65%. Noisy, but tolerable. At that the temps stay in 60-70 at idle. Over time dust blocks airflow from the fan to the fins. You hear it and see that temp goes to 100.

7-8 cards, six years running 24/7, and one has died proper, one had fan fail, but the rest are still in use.

Yes, the fans will go first. TIM might dry out next.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Even if someone's 2080 ti works fine right now, what is there to guarantee it will work during its entire life span? This is what bugs me about the current 2080 ti failures. We do not know why these cards are failing, only that memory may be the culprit.

I would be feeling a lot more confident if we knew the exact source of failure.

I had no problems buying RROD Xbox 360's for cheap once I knew why they failed and how to fix them. I'm not saying I would do the same for a 2080 ti, but knowing why something fails really helps.

At first I did think it was heat related, but water cooled variants with cool VRMs have failed. Then I assumed it was Micron memory. Now that Samsung cards have failed, I am very unsure.

At least this will be covered for RMA. Xbox 360 RROD was not covered by warranty at first, which was a terrible PR move from MS.

Guru

May 5, 2017
Has Anyone here owned a 2080ti since September or early October without it failing? I know the 2080ti's have high failure rates due to over heating. I think the only way to get around this is to either have a water cooled rig or to have a 2080ti brand that has a great fan, a fan that may have to be running at 60-70% all the time to keep it cooled enough and under 70 degrees.
Everything you wrote is inaccurate. Nvidia RTX 2080ti cards haven't been failing due to overheating, while there isn't any official reason/s stated, reading between and lines and doing research it seems like some of the yields weren't that good and these were semi defective units that they decided to ship anyways, therefore resulting in these cards failing.

How hot these cards run varies between card designs, we've actually had card that operated at close to 100C in the past with no issues at all, it depends how cards are built and what level of temperature the components are designed to work up to.

So yeah, completely inaccurate information that you have, that has nothing to do with reality.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra has been running great in the 1 and 1/2 months I've had it. This card has Micron memory. I run it at +100 core and +600 memory.

If it ever fails, I'll just get a better one.

Reactions: DooKey

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
The Hawaii R9 290/X were specified to run at 95C on reference and plenty of those have run forever under load as mining cards. I have 1 2080ti FE from Best Buy running since mid October with no issues and 1 new RMA replacement with Samsung vram that I received about a week ago to replace a space invaders version direct from Nvidia.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010

Mine lasted about 7 hours.
It was running Valley 1.0 at 4096x2160/60 for that time.
No issues during and after the test.
Then after shutting down the system and booting back up a few hours later the problems started.
Audio stuttering, then artifacts and a screen full of space invader characters! System locked up hard.
Powered off, rebooted and same thing as soon as Valley was launched. Any 3D app actually. (even windowed).
Let the card cool to room temperature and tried again. It seemed to last longer (2 min!) before doing the same.
Eventually, it would only boot to Windows VGA mode and then it finally went poof (no smoke or anything dramatic) but no longer recognized by the system.

Completely inexcusable for a $1200 graphics card! My Titan X (Maxwell) and 1080 (non Ti) cards are running beautifully still. And will continue to do so until either NVDA gets their act together OR AMD comes through with something competitive. (and doesn't require a 2kW PSU! ;) )

My card did have Micron memory but that doesn't seem to matter as Kyle's (replacement) card with Samsung memory also died.

I love how the (2080ti) performed. It was definitely noticeable. For the $$$? Yes because it's a bargain compared to Titan V!

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a hardware revision of some sort on the horizon.

If true, the launch revision value will tank when it comes to resale.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This NV launch really surprised me in a lot of ways, but it's disappointing to see the 2080ti series saddled with this albatross around it's neck.

I was hoping one day to upgrade to a used 2080ti from my 980ti when the prices drop before NV's next launch but these reports make me think twice about getting stuck with a paperweight.

Any word on if the equivalent Quatro cards are encountering similar issues?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My FE has also been perfect. Don't they have a year warranty? If so then I'm good.