Does anyone here actually use TikTok?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Those personal info sites you can use to find people are likely getting their info from Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, credit agencies, your local courts, and other "public" sources.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've spent so much money on TikTok lol. Stupid targeted ads & cheap prices!!
Oh yeah- not sure how they sell stuff for less than Amazon :D My wife HAD to have that stupid dancing cactus from last Christmas, and I got that crank vegetable slicer that's actually really nice.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I can't imagine installing any social media app on my phone, they all spy on you like mad. Facebook is just as bad. Or just having stock android for that matter. It's Google. They are the king of spying. They can still spy on you via the web but with the phone they have access to way more, such as your voice and cameras and your contacts.
Well the "stock android" might be a requirement soon- Google is going to start locking down rooted phones and restricting Play Store access.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well the "stock android" might be a requirement soon- Google is going to start locking down rooted phones and restricting Play Store access.

That's a scary thought, hopefully there will be other options if that happens. There really needs to be a proper open source phone but it's such a huge undertaking that there's no one with the resources to do that. The touch screen alone would be a very hard thing to do. Then there's the RF parts, which need to be certified etc.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Your hardware and OS have to be authenticated to use cloud services.
With custom rom I would not be using cloud services though, or is RCS itself considered part of cloud? I thought it was just a messaging protocol so couldn't someone just make a client or is it more involved than that?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Oh yeah- not sure how they sell stuff for less than Amazon :D My wife HAD to have that stupid dancing cactus from last Christmas, and I got that crank vegetable slicer that's actually really nice.

I think it bypasses Amazon's drop-shipping system to ship straight from either China or the importer in America. Plus I usually wait until there's like a 20% off coupon & free shipping or whatever.

The food stuff is usually pretty good too. I get different spices & whatnot directly from the vendors on TikTok. I got that viral Chamoy sauce for fruit the other day & it's actually pretty awesome haha:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritzo
Mar 11, 2004
I prefer youtube shorts and msn videos

Whoa, guess we found out the single user of Quibi!

only American controlled disinfo is allowed i guess

Oh, hi, I see you're new here.

The amount of people raging about Chinese spying on them (so they can sell them more butt grade shit, or knockoff luxury goods so they can pretend to be living the good life) that give zero shits about US corporations using the same data to fuck them over (everything from health care, to insurance, to getting into a school or getting a job), well, its the modern American way. Bitch about everyone else doing the same shit you/Americans are doing worse than anybody.

I mean, Kia and Nissan (not sure if should give them at least a "well at least they're honest" because all the car companies are likely doing that but just not being forthright about it, or be so appalled that I make a joke about how Kia made their cars easy to steal so they can access more peoples' data) straight up say they'll track and sell data about your sex life (and everything else, they go out of their way to specifically say they track and sell data about your sex life though), but oh my god did you see the TikTok user agreement? Oh, you didn't even get the opportunity to agree to modern cars doing that because car companies take you even being a passenger in the car as you agreeing to those terms?

And lest you think VPNs and the like will protect you, the NSA (and likely others) have means of infiltrating VPNs, and using one will likely flag your for scrutiny. At this point, lack of data about you is also a data point. And what they don't get from you they'll get from the other people in your life.

There's also growing evidence that billionaires are now using spying tools that used to be only available to nation-states.

But TikTok, that's where we should focus.

Reactions: KMFJD