Does anyone have quotes by Lincoln about slavery?

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
Both pro and con. I don't want completely biased in either way. Also if there are any pages dedicated to this that would be great, thanks.

-mosdef

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I hope you are not trusting some of these nefs here on anandtech to help you with your paper. I would suggest the local library.

Kamak

Jan 30, 2001
Be wary of any sources you use. There is a massive amount of mis-information and revisionist history that swarms about that period of American history.

Before I get flamed for be a {insert favorite Politically Correct insult}, both 'viewpoints' are guilty of speading misleading half-truths.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Some of the quotes I read aren't very nice. But that was a difficult time for him or anyone for that matter to be president. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. :D

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
Guys, I'm not gonna blindly throw in quotes, I just want to hear some and where you got them!

-mosdef

Riddler

Nov 22, 2000
"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, "Letter To Henry L. Pierce and Others" (April 6, 1859), p. 376.

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, (August 1, 1858?), p. 532.

"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Speech at Chicago, Illinois" (July 10, 1858), p. 502.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VIII, "Speech to One Hundred Fortieth Indiana Regiment" (March 17, 1865), p. 361.