Does anyone have one of those high-end front loading washing machines?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Looking to purchase one of those front loading machines like Whirlpool Duet, Maytag Neptune or the LG model. I'm, well actually my wife, is getting tired of doing laundry everyday for 6 people. I've read the front loaders hold more close, but not sure if that's just marketing hype or not. Anyone have any first hand experience?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm not sure about your questions as I don't have one. But if you buy at Lowes of Sears, you can get gift cards for 20% off by reading this.

KK

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I hear that the Neptunes are the best things ever. They'd better be, for nearly a grand.

When you buy, check to see if either your water or power companies offer Energy Star promotions, because I'm fairly sure those high end washers and dryers are Energy Star certified. Here in CA I think the total rebate was like $300.

PS - Nice sig. ;)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Front-load washers also do not have problems with imbalances, and they are gentler.

ZV

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Top loaders have that movable arm inside - and you need to leave enough room for the clothes to move freely around each other. Front loaders have neither of those problems. So front loaders should have much larger capacity (assuming you get the same physical sized washer).

I don't own one, but I've used them. They are nice. But I really don't think they are worth the price or the price of the more expensive detergent (front loaders use less water and thus need detergent that is much more soluable).

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i have the maytag neptunes. i highly recommend them. i've never regretted buying them. additionally, check with your city. i got 150 rebate from mine for buying a front loader.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
We have a Maytag Neptune thats probably 6 months old. Seems to work great for us it does hold a ton of clothes.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Front-load washers also do not have problems with imbalances, and they are gentler.

ZV

I've also heard they are easier on clothes since there is no agitator, is this true?

Once front load washer/dryers drop in price to $1000 for both we'll probably buy one.

Either Amana, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kenmore Elite or Maytag.

Ornery suggested this New Zealand manufacturer, I forgot the name of it ... anyone remember?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We have a front loading machine. Got it about 3 years ago. Seems to work well. Only real issue is that the spin cycle is pretty violent. Anything that is on the machine will vibrate it's way to the floor. The powder was harder to find when we first got it but the selection is still pretty sparse, compared to top loaders.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I should mention that I live out of city limits and have well water, so no water bill :D

Additionally, I will be using a BestBuy 10% coupon I got for their $5 XBox Platinum Hit screw up. It is usable on anything, even these washers (which the mailed ones are usually not).

I liked the Neptunes but they are a tad smaller than the LG and Duet - 3.4L vs 3.7 and at the same price. I'm leaning towards the LG, cause I can get their dryer $100 less than the Duets (Neptunes is $200 less).

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
I'm not sure about your questions as I don't have one. But if you buy at Lowes of Sears, you can get gift cards for 20% off by reading this.

KK

Thanks, I will have to wait until I get home, Fatwallet is blocked here at work :(

charliebrown

Dec 2, 1999
When I was looking into the laundromat business, I learned front loaders are much much more durable than top loaders. Top loaders have to be replaced every 5 years or so; whereas front loaders will last forever with proper maintenance.