Does anyone have LG 23MP68VQ? Cheap 75hz IPS Freesync. Is its anti-glare bad?

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Hello, I plan to buy this display:

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP68VQ-P

I'm wondering if the anti-glare coating is as bad as some of the previous LG displays? I know LG is notorious for having too much anti-glare coating on some of their products.

If anyone here has this display, how do you like it? Is the 75hz refresh noticeable going from 60hz? Have anyone tried overclocking the refresh rate over its standard 75hz? It would be nice if it could reach 80-85.
The display is only 150 euros (I assume ~140$ in USA) so it sounds like a good deal.

Reactions: Nova Web

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Whoa, I knew AMD was working on Freesync over HDMI, but did I miss AMD releasing it? Hardware looks ready!

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Yeah Freesync is now available over HDMI. I am a little concerned about something else however. I read about a year ago that when a Freesync display's refresh rate min-max ratio is less than 2.5 (that is most of the displays)they have some kind of an issue when fps drops below the min. I'm curious if that was solved.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Well Freesync has LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) when the fps drops below Freesync range:

http://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

Yes, but even in your given link it says
"Automatically enabled on all AMD FreeSync™-ready monitors where max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh"

Only ~10% of freesync monitors have their max refresh more than 2.5 times min refresh. So I suspect there could be problems since LFC won't work on this display?

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Well, nobody replied but I ordered it. Will return later to tell how the display is for me. Can't wait to try out 75hz and freesync.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
The monitor just arrived and I started testing it....... The moment I saw the login screen I felt like I saw it for the first time. I know it sound stupid, since it is also an IPS at the same resolution, but this monitor is so much better than my previous monitor Dell U2312HM. I launched a game, for example, and immediatelly noticed a lamp in the background of the menu lights the menu slightly in greenish tint. I never noticed this before! Somehow everything is much more perceptive with this monitor, colors are so much better. And I mean the Dell U2312HM I had is supposedly a very good monitor, too!
Really happy with the purchase. I bought it for 75hz and freesync but also got this really great visual quality as well.

Definitely recommended! Feel free to ask any questions about it, I'll try to answer to my best ability. I will also try overclocking it today or any time soon. Will let everyone know how it goes. I'll try to reach 80-85hz.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Now testing Freesync in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Even with Vsync it was a tearing nightmare sometimes.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Was looking for cheap freesync screen reviews myself but couldn't find any.

Is this screen very new? only 3 shops seem to have it here, and 170 to 220 eu.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Deus Ex Human Revolution was better in terms of tearing, I think, but I may have noticed ghosting (which was not really present on my previous IPS monitor). Need to test it further with LG response time settings and different games to make up my mind about whether the response time is okay or not.

Yes it is very new. I bought it for 150 euros though in Lithuania. Hardware usually is costier here than elsewhere so I'm surprise it starts at 170 euros somewhere.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Some little updates on the monitor:
The ghosting effects so far seem to be limited only to Deus Ex: Human Revolution and not having my previous monitor I cannot be sure if this wasn't present before - perhaps I was simply more attentive this time since... Well, that's what I've been doing now - looking at the quality of this monitor, not the game itself. I have response time setting on "middle". Seems to work well.

I tried overclocking refresh rate but so far so bad - not even a single hz could be overclocked. I think there may be some kind of a software block. Attempting to discuss this in a overclocking focused forum. Maybe they can help me overclock it. Pretty sure this monitor can run at 76hz if it can run at 75hz... When I try to overclock it it says "HDMI out of range" even though I applied a HDMI patch and use a HDMI 2.0 cable. And the resolution is 1080 so HDMI is more than enough to handle it.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Did you try specific timings? Should be able to find some "overclocking" timings on websites like monitortests or whatever the forum where you can find the "CRU" (custom resolution utility) is called.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Hello! I tried setting manual timing by copy pasting timings from 75hz and also tried "LCD standard" timings, both did not work. I doubt there will be specific information about timings for my monitor yet, as it is so new.

CFP

Apr 26, 2006
I've been eyeing this monitor as well mostly due to price. How does the 5ms response time feel? Any blurriness?

AMD website has the freesync range at 40~75 hz which seems like enough as I don't plan to play games at below 40 fps really, but don't mind playing, say, BF4 at 50fps which is where the freesync would probably help.

Plan to stay with 1080p as well so I can continue to get midrange cards for the next few years. At the moment I'm torn between this, and the much more expensive 144hz gsync monitors for same size/res.

I'm coming from a 1680x1050 60hz TN panel, so I'm sure it'll be an upgrade in all respects, especially colours. With that said, I keep hearing about how buttery 144hz is and that's holding me back from purchasing a bit.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Sorry for the late reply.
The response time has its own option in the monitor menu, it can be set to off low medium high. I just keep it on medium.
It is hard to say for sure, but I think I HAVE noticed some blurriness, but is really hard to say if it's because of games or because of redactedgame designs. I've only noticed blurriness in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Anno 1404. Both games were at 75fps. I wish I had my previous monitor so I could compare. I am however concerned that response time may be this monitors achilles heel as in both games I mentioned it can be rather annoying. I have disabled any post effects in both games to the best of my ability. In other fps games, like Deus Ex 1 for example the blur is less noticeable and is generally non-interfering. Only noticeable when moving mouse fast around something, but I guess that happens with every monitor?

Last edited by a moderator:

TomOne

Aug 21, 2016
I just want to know if you can set this monitor on 75Hz with freesync off or only when freesync is on?

Nova Web

Dec 1, 2016
Hello, I plan to buy this display:

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP68VQ-P

I'm wondering if the anti-glare coating is as bad as some of the previous LG displays? I know LG is notorious for having too much anti-glare coating on some of their products.

If anyone here has this display, how do you like it? Is the 75hz refresh noticeable going from 60hz? Have anyone tried overclocking the refresh rate over its standard 75hz? It would be nice if it could reach 80-85.
The display is only 150 euros (I assume ~140$ in USA) so it sounds like a good deal.

Does it have too much anti-glare? I was intending to buy 4 of them since they got so cheap and use them for office and some graphic work...
Does it stand a chance in Photoshop? I mean can you see well the grayscale or subtle shadows, gradients etc.?

Last edited:

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Sorry for late replies. The monitors anti-glare is alright, I think. I was afraid it'd be too much as well.
Freesync can be on any frequency.
as for Photoshop it's hard to say as I didn't use it. I think super resolution ability of this monitor could be useful in photoshop.

Nova Web

Dec 1, 2016
Sorry for late replies. The monitors anti-glare is alright, I think. I was afraid it'd be too much as well.
Freesync can be on any frequency.
as for Photoshop it's hard to say as I didn't use it. I think super resolution ability of this monitor could be useful in photoshop.
Thank you so much for your useful answer. Just ordered 2 of them, the price really dropped (due to holidays I guess) so I'll try to post a small review after I get them.
Much appreciated Kristijonas!