Does anyone have experience with MSDS companies?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I've already done some research and contacted a few companies. However I'm still unsure of the overall field since I don't know of the players in the industry and what all the pricing should be.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with companies that provide MSDS (Material Saftey Data Sheet databases), as well as any suggestions you guys may have. I'd have greater peice of mind knowing a fellow ATer reccomended something rather than look at google sponsered results and the first two pages or so.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The supplier giving you the material should offer those with it, to be honest. I'll ask my co-worker who deals with that stuff if he has a good recommendation.

EDIT: That was quick: http://www.msdssearch.com/ManuflinksA.htm

He only uses this for reference though, he said that he gets the MSDS directly from the supplier (plastic resin, foam, metal, in our case)

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
The supplier giving you the material should offer those with it, to be honest. I'll ask my co-worker who deals with that stuff if he has a good recommendation.

Yes yes, but our MSDS dates back to the 50s :) And whoever organized them thought of the great idea that it should be done chronologically in the order we receive the materials. So now they told me "Figure out some kind of service that we can just access them online" rather than flip through over twenty 4 inch thick binders to figure out where the specific MSDS is.

But if you can ask your coworker and PM me I would highly appreciate it :)

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
I was incharge of finding 160+ MSDS sheets here. You can find them online, and they should give you some website for the MSDS.

The problem is they DON'T have any electronic version. Next to me are all the MSDS, and my "superiors" have been embarassed on more than one occasion b/c they couldn't find the MSDS that someone asked for.

That and we are dealing around 1000-1500 MSDS...not 160 >< So while there are free choices online, the company wants a personal collection. Ultimately if someone can do it for us at a good price, it means one less person that we have to have deal with a topic that is more about organization and the ability to pull up the right paper.

Some companies advertise a database that you can search, pull up the info and then print the MSDS in pdf format and we are looking for that. MSDS are pretty much free~ but to have them organized in a database with little effort on our part and constantly updated for us, as well as give us the ability to easily add more MSDS is what people pay for :)

That and I don't want to be the MSDS whore here ;) Not something very enthralling

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The problem with your own personal copy is that they update and change so often you would need to do database updates almost daily. My co-worker told me he gets about 10-15 a week either via mail, email, or fax.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
We do not know of a pay service online that is good, however. You may want to check out a forum dedicated to it or IMDS to see what people recommend.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
We do not know of a pay service online that is good, however. You may want to check out a forum dedicated to it or IMDS to see what people recommend.

IMDS has forums? Lol...

Now that is interesting. The few I've contacted seemed to offer good services that updated daily as needed, but honestly I don't know much if anything about this field. I guess if you said they suck it is a telling sign.

I'll check out IMDS though. Ironic thing you mention it since I just turned in to IMDS guru here since most other engineering are atlesat 40 and can't understand how to work with the draconian requirements that is IMDS ;)

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
If it is okay with the grounds crew...I can send you the excel sheet I made up with all 160~~ MSDS links (all to .pdfs) if you want.

Uhhh sure? Lol Just check with them.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago

IMDS has forums? Lol...

Now that is interesting. The few I've contacted seemed to offer good services that updated daily as needed, but honestly I don't know much if anything about this field. I guess if you said they suck it is a telling sign.

I'll check out IMDS though. Ironic thing you mention it since I just turned in to IMDS guru here since most other engineering are atlesat 40 and can't understand how to work with the draconian requirements that is IMDS ;)

IMDS sucks. How long have you been dealing with it? My favorite part is when they remove key fields for no reason at all. Or when they remove very basic chemicals.

I have heard that the world is trying to get away from IMDS, because it has grown into so much more than it was originally designed for.

Silly Germans and they database management.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

IMDS has forums? Lol...

IMDS sucks. How long have you been dealing with it? My favorite part is when they remove key fields for no reason at all. Or when they remove very basic chemicals.

I have heard that the world is trying to get away from IMDS, because it has grown into so much more than it was originally designed for.

Umm 2 days? I'm a brand new hire ;) Actually an intern. I don't think it was hard. They slapped around 300 pages of manuals/tutorials and told me to read it which i did the first day. I'm probably going to turn into the guy that when people need an IMDS done to submit I get to do it.

Really? the reason they are using it here is because according to them more and more US producers are starting to use it and their customers are demanding it so they have to have a choice. About 6 months ago no one in the US used it, and now about 1/2 of suppliers us it (But around 1/2 of that time they provide incorrect IMDS :p )

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

IMDS has forums? Lol...

Umm 2 days? I'm a brand new hire ;) Actually an intern. I don't think it was hard. They slapped around 300 pages of manuals/tutorials and told me to read it which i did the first day. I'm probably going to turn into the guy that when people need an IMDS done to submit I get to do it.

Really? the reason they are using it here is because according to them more and more US producers are starting to use it and their customers are demanding it so they have to have a choice. About 6 months ago no one in the US used it, and now about 1/2 of suppliers us it (But around 1/2 of that time they provide incorrect IMDS :p )

EDS really didn't expect it to grow to this size and you will find in the coming months that it either stops working all together or is unbearably slow. Every time they go through a revision they manage to fsck everything up by changing fields and whatnot. So when you go back in after an upgrade you will find that every single one of your records need to be editted.

Lots of fun. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it, because I hear my co-worker bitching about it one office over.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
HAHA. Oh joy ;) God I need to switch into R&D ASAP. This IMDS was supposed to be a short term project to get twenty or so parts into the sytem, and then maybe every once in a while maintai it..but I was/is supposed to be in more of a R&D position.

I will tell you one thing: I lose so much time waiting for it to load. I click and 3-4 seconds later it loads. So I defintely know of that part for sure. Who the hell tries to create a web based database to be accessed by millions and have it run slow?

Thank God I'm patient though.