Does anyone else think ADD, OCD, Depression, etc are being over used?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It seems that every single time a kid is doing bad in school now, it's because he's got some mental problem. No one can feel bad without someone recomending they go to a doctor for an anti-depressant.

I guess no one is just wierd, dumb or sad, we're all just all sick instead, as it doesn't hurt our self esteem as much
rolleye.gif

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Does anyone else thing ADD, OCD, Depression, etc are being over used?

Yes, I do. The worst part is some people really do have ADD, OCD, and depression and it really does affect them greatly. Now it seems like everyone has something, so nothing is really a big deal anymore (if that made sense).

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
Yes when I was taking Psy semester before last, there seemed to be a disorder for everything. I guess it just depends on who's perspective you are looking from, but mostly I think these kids just need a swift kick in the a$$, not just a "cure all pill."

EG. My sister is a freakn' insane, she needs to be on some kind of LEGAL drug, not the one that she's on now.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
yes and i think that there are way too many pills being perscribed for things that don't need them. depression can be triggered by inactivity and not eating properly but instead of promoting a healthy lifestyle doctors just offer up pills to make you feel better.
i think its healthy to learn to cope with depression and stress naturally, only using medication to treat it in extreme cases.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i think they're over-diagnosed and the pills are over-presribed. I knew kids in my high school that would kill for some ritalin (and snort it or swallow them). Actually, i was surprised how many kids were on anti-depressants in my school...i dated three of them my junior/senior year :( It wasn't so much a big deal with them taking the pills as much as it was when they didn't take them. You could see when they went through withdrawl and when their body's readjusted to them. It was worse than being on the rag X 1000.

-=bmacd=-

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Does anyone else thing ADD, OCD, Depression, etc are being over used?

Yes, I do. The worst part is some people really do have ADD, OCD, and depression and it really does affect them greatly. Now it seems like everyone has something, so nothing is really a big deal anymore (if that made sense).

yes it made sense.

today every parent who has a kid who is a moron and isnt dooin well in school gets them a Perscription for ADD. when teh truth is they are just stupid. and the people that really have problims are goin unnoticed and left to suffer

Huz

Dec 27, 2001
It's no mystery we're seeing this phenomenon of droves and droves of seemingly healthy people being diagnosed. Pharmaceutical companies are in bed with the doctors, hospitals, etc. It's big money to have Prozac nation in full swing.

On the flip-side, anti-depressants or other drugs that address mental disorders are a godsend for people who need them.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
self esteem? I guess your self esteem comes from your 12,000+ posts.

The problem is that parents need to smack their kids around. The problem is that there is too much free time for American kids, too many video games. Kids that get made fun of are usually the computer geek type...hence why you see so many on this board. It's just a fact. I can walk into my local Fry's, BB, EB, Compusa, and you'll see a flock of geeks. Their lives are based on digitized entertainment.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you used to just beat kids or make them go outside. now we give them drugs so they're shooting people.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sure, I'd say it's overused, but there are many legitimately depressed people who need help.

To discount that is extremely arrogant.

I don't personally suffer from depression (out of the ordinary), but I've known many people who have (some who decided to rid themselves of the depression via a gun instead of medication). Some people simply cannot transcend whatever chemical imbalance it is that encumbers them.

As I said in the other thread: have some compassion arsehole :D

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Gulzakar
+1 post, good boy.

Your just cranky because you know it's true.

Yes, you're right, my happiness is based entirely on my post count. Therefore, I will never get any less happy than I am right now. If I post at the same rate as grasshopper, I'll be in the guiness book of records in three years as "world's happiest person".
rolleye.gif

Your point makes about as much sense as saying that self esteem is based on the number of steps I've taken in my life.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Sure, I'd say it's overused, but there are many legitimately depressed people who need help.

I don't personally suffer from depression (out of the ordinary), but I've known many people who have (some who decided to rid themselves of the depression via a gun instead of medication). Some people simply cannot transcend whatever chemical imbalance it is that encumbers them.

Good point. Since someone came to the forums and posted a thread which appeared to be asking for help, instead of telling them to suck it up and become a janitor, maybe we can offer some advice such as going to a physician. That may rule out any physical problems or it may identify some. As others in this thread have suggested depression may not just be caused by a chemical malfunction in the brain but could be brought on by stress or bad eating habits. Something a well trained physician could detect. When someone gives that advice to visit a doctor it doesn't mean they to run to the nearest one just to get some drugs.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes

Yes but the problem is that the people with real problems get looked over, since they are just lumped into the pool of others with problems and may not seem major.

Like my grandfather used to say, kids got out of hand when ass kicking went out of style.

palad

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2000
ADD is definitely being overused. Anymore it is just an excuse for parents who don't want to take the time required to raise their children properly. They find some quack who is willing to salve their conscience with a BS diagnosis, and they feel better, because now it's not their fault that their kids turned out idiots.