Does anyone else hate those damn end of year letters families send out?

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The ones like this.

Greetings from the Thompsons,

This year was Great. Jed made a fortune in the stock market and drives a Porsche. I new BMW SUV is great too. My boob job is complete and they are huge and firm. Guys ogle over me everywhere I go. Johnny graduated from Yale and has has 97 job offers and his finance says he is hung like a horse. Mary Graduated from Harvard and makes 6 digits. Little Jane married a rich investment banker and is set for life. Her children are too good for public schools so they go to a private school. We just got back from Australia (flew first class of course) and now we are moving into our 45,000 sq ft home. I really hope the Olympic size pool is ready for summer, since we have TONS of friends that like to come to our parties.

Merry xmas

PS I lost 20 pounds and Jed lost 15 pounds since last year.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Is this an Asian thing or other people like to gloat too?

not an azn thing at all. it's a look-at-me thing. my parents still get these from long lost "friends" who are very caucasian.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhill
The ones like this.

Greetings from the Thompsons,

This year was Great. Jed lost a fortune in the stock market and drives a Geo. I new Kia Bicycle is great too. My boob job is complete and they are huge and saggy. Guys dont ogle over me anymore everywhere I go. Johnny graduated from Community College and has 0 job offers and his finance says he is hung. Mary Graduated from High School and makes cookies at McDonalds. Little Jane married a poor investment banker and is done for life. Her children are too good for private schools so they go to a public school. We just got back from Australia (worked as janitor on the ship of course) and now we are moving into our 450 sq ft apartment home. I really hope the backyard size pool is ready for summer, since we have TONS of friends in whose parties we would like to go.

Merry xmas

PS I gained 200 pounds and Jed gained 150 pounds since last year.

Fixed

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
My aunt writes letters like those. One year my mom tried to compete as i had graduated college and was going to a successful company, sister was entering HS and they had just retired and were living nicely. The next year aunt got to come back with her daughter was moving to boston, her son was working for a major company and getting married, and they had just bought a house on the CA coat overlooking the ocean.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
We've recieved these in the past from some our childs firends parents.

Absolutely disgusts me to no end!

I'd really enjoy seeing these peoples debt statements because you damn well know they are damn near broke trying to keep up with the Jones'.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
So, send one out detailing how much your life sucks. Problem solved! :)

Oh, God, please do and then report back the feedback you get.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've never heard of anyone sending letters like this. Very tacky. Holiday letters are supposed to be extending good will, not used as a forum to get attention.

I can't believe people would do this!

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I have never heard of this :confused:

Receiving such a letter sure would be awesome though, damn we'd get a laugh out of that.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I receive these from a few folks, but its usually just life updates, like "Richard's grandmother died, I found a new job, we moved and thanks to all for helping"

no real gloating, then again I don't try to have friends like that

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
My parents get one every year from some friends they had in college and its all of the gloating like the example given by the OP. Funny thing is in terms of all the stuff they were bragging about they were worse off than my family so really it was kinda sad how they were acting all great and really weren't. for example they send one about how their great kids are now at average public colleges and how great that is, except then my and my brother are both at top 20 (according to those stupid rankings FWIW) private colleges with scholarships and stuff. Any then now their kids are off making 40k and they talking about how wonderful that is except me and my brother are gonna be making 60k out of college and so on.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I had family friends that would do this every year. One family in particular cracked me up; stereotypical upper-middle class family, father was a chiropractor, mother was a real estate agent, I think. They had two boys about my age. Well, both boys ended up going to a lesser quality state school and neither did very well, despite both boys having done very well and acting "upper crust" when we were all in high school. Both boys were so spoiled, I think, that they really didn't have the focus or the drive to make themselves succeed on their own.

I know that my mom had to bite her tongue numerous times over my college and post-college (grad school, professional, etc.) years (same for my older sister), as we came from humbler beginnings but ended up doing much better early on in adult life.

I do not plan on sending these cards when I have a family; I'm either going to send a simple Christmas card signed by the family or nothing. Just tacky otherwise.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I think those letters are pretentious, just send me the normal christmas card with the picture. Hell, the joy of being single is your wife doesnt wrangle you into doing stupid things like this.