Does anyone care if MAGAts don't vaccinate?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
My brother is as far from overweight as one could be, walks ~20 miles a day for his work, and had an ugly case of COVID and has had long haul lung problems for months ever since. But fattie wants to pat himself on the back here repeatedly for losing 50 pounds and act like that's the solution to COVID.

Your brother is an outlier, do you understand what that means ?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Not as much anymore. The recent British variant of the virus (B117) has been hitting younger people harder, to the point where a significant chunk of the people in ICUs are middle-aged or even younger.

And remember, viruses stand a better chance of mutating the more they go unchecked. So, like I said earlier: please go get vaccinated so you can stop the virus in its tracks.

Reactions: feralkid

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

Do you know what an outlier means? You already posted a study that demonstrated 89.5% of COVID-19 cases are not attributable to obesity. 70.5% of hospitalizations aren't attributable to obesity.

You know who is an outlier? Your idiotic opinions about COVID-19 are. You believe:
1) "So instead of hiding let's get healthier and shed what co-morbidities that we can so that WHEN we get infected we can hopefully shrug it off and be on our ways. A large part of this is diet, something we can all change and something rarely discussed."
2) "The vaccine is a band aid for that."
3) "Diet change is all we need."
4) Posting a video of a moronic dermatologist who thinks ivermectin can treat COVID-19 without any clinical data demonstrating efficacy.

Why should we use a antiparasitic drug when clinical studies demonstrate up to 95% efficacy for vaccines?

Mar 11, 2004
Ahahahaha, holy shit. Its not like we didn't see this coming but it is still amusing when the morons shit all over their own idiotic arguments by interjecting even more idiotic shit. Too bad there's not a vaccine for stupidity.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So at CPAC they cheered when it was mentioned that the country hadn't reached the 7/4 vaccination goal, and also cheered at other anti-vax comments.

This is not conservative rank and file. It's republican leadership.

The GOP is now officially the anti-vaccination party. Hey, if that's the legacy they want...

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So at CPAC they cheered when it was mentioned that the country hadn't reached the 7/4 vaccination goal, and also cheered at other anti-vax comments.

The GOP is now officially the anti-vaccination party. Hey, if that's the legacy they want...

Those grifters are probably all vaccinated.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

They have made it into their identity. They refuse to get the vaccine for no reason other than that they’re being told to get it. This pretty much boils down to “I don’t let THEM tell me what to do.” Even though I'm sure Fox and Friends have been vaccinated, and even Trump himself has told them to vaccinate. They’ve made COVID denial into their identity, so much so that the “THEM” part doesn’t matter. Even their own push to get vaccinated, but they don’t listen. I'm not listening to "those people" - the ones that "stole" the election.

Be it Covid, or trans rights, or separation of church and state, content of school curriculum, climate change, or if you go back enough desegregation or suffrage rights or secession it boils down to. "I won't let someone NOT LIKE ME to tell me what to do and what to teach my children to believe. Academic intellectuals, scientists, LGBT people, Urbanites, minorities, people from non-evangelical religions or no religion… no, we won’t let THEM tell us that how we’re living is wrong. Never mind if it would benefit them, never mind if the “people like us” are the ones ripping them off.

Reactions: solidsnake1298

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The government should set up camps in the deserts where people without vaccination can be sent and isolated to protect them from Covid infection. This would save thousands and thousands of their lives and they wouldn't need the shots.

We shouldn't turn our backs on people too ignorant to know what is good for them, right. I mean, how are they supposed to know that their fear of liberals is a projection of how dangerous they are to themselves, and the only way out of that is to create what they fear and have it be in their best interest.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I know a mix of Trumpers and some people that are just irrationally scared of the vaccine. I feel something for that second group, as they really believe in Covid and are just caught up in vaccine worry, but end of the day the info is out there to make an informed decision.

The problem is that all these anti-vaxxers, for whatever reason, affect everyone else by letting the disease hang around and mutate.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
You'd think republican leadership would do the simple arithmetic; if 74 million trump supporters didn't get vaccinated and half of them got covid (or any combination thereof), assuming a case fatality rate of 1% (almost certainly an undercount based on their demographic skew), they're looking at losing at LEAST 370k voters due to covid alone. Over what time frame? 2-4 years?

Gonna be hard to win elections (national ones at least) with that kinda dent in your electorate. And that excludes any other causes of mortality.

Edit: at current infection rates, it would probably take 8-10 years to infect the whole unvaccinated pop. So the time horizon is a bit longer.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You'd think republican leadership would do the simple arithmetic; if 74 million trump supporters didn't get vaccinated and half of them got covid (or any combination thereof), assuming a case fatality rate of 1% (almost certainly an undercount based on their demographic skew), they're looking at losing at LEAST 370k voters due to covid alone. Over what time frame? 2-4 years?

Gonna be hard to win elections (national ones at least) with that kinda dent in your electorate. And that excludes any other causes of mortality.

Edit: at current infection rates, it would probably take 8-10 years to infect the whole unvaccinated pop. So the time horizon is a bit longer.

Dying to own the libs is too attractive.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
The government should set up camps in the deserts where people without vaccination can be sent and isolated to protect them from Covid infection. This would save thousands and thousands of their lives and they wouldn't need the shots.

We shouldn't turn our backs on people too ignorant to know what is good for them, right. I mean, how are they supposed to know that their fear of liberals is a projection of how dangerous they are to themselves, and the only way out of that is to create what they fear and have it be in their best interest.

Still, it's the gene pool self cleansing.

Now might be a good time to invest in a funeral home.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Still, it's the gene pool self cleansing.

Now might be a good time to invest in a funeral home.
I think of it more as a liberal culture that has had more time and more need to adjust to a world that is interdependent vs a rural culture that has depended on more tribalistic norms to survive. I think, for example, I would rather be a country person if I needed my neighbors to help me survive. The in group in the country will go to farther lengths of generosity, I think, helping each other out. I don't believe that the political and psychological condition of people is genetic. I think also that's a good way to deny the other empathy.

And as far as the environmental damage we seem to be doing, there may be real money to be made in fertility clinics. The economic convenience of plastic seems to be making us sterile.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I think of it more as a liberal culture that has had more time and more need to adjust to a world that is interdependent vs a rural culture that has depended on more tribalistic norms to survive. I think, for example, I would rather be a country person if I needed my neighbors to help me survive. The in group in the country will go to farther lengths of generosity, I think, helping each other out. I don't believe that the political and psychological condition of people is genetic. I think also that's a good way to deny the other empathy.

And as far as the environmental damage we seem to be doing, there may be real money to be made in fertility clinics. The economic convenience of plastic seems to be making us sterile.

Which group is more likely to accept a newcomer?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Which group is more likely to accept a newcomer?
Liberals, of course. One theory is that a capacity for liberal thinking evolved to counteract conservative insularity causing excessive inbreeding. Another, of course, is the economic advantages produced by mercantile codes that enable trade.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For party that has since the beginning of COVID has been actively trying to kill us, I don't give a shit about them.

In fact let's take this one step further, we will pay them to sign away their rights for COVID treatment to keep them from being a burden to our medical system