does anybody else think valentines day is unnecessary?

Zaitsevs

Oct 31, 2005

It shouldn't be recognized as anything--if you care about someone enough; everyday should be Valentines Day.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Woot got a free rose from a co-worker who got a bouque from her long distance boyfriend!!!

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
my gf and I both spent about the same this year...close to $70 each. Normally, I wouldn't even consider spending that much, but it's the first time v-day we've spent together, despite being together for 18 months. I was deployed with the Army during every other holiday it seems.

-=bmacd=-

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
this is a day you make your wife/gf/bf/dog/whatever feel special and loved so that you can slack off and be a jackass the other 364 days of the year. duh.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
no biggie. just get a 3 dollar card and a 7 dollar box of candies that you can share.

i would never spend more than 15 bucks unless it was for dinner or something practical.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Zaitsevs
Originally posted by: hans030390
agreed, my history teacher actually had a short lecture about this today

what did he have to say?

He was talking to high schoolers, so you have to understand that when he said this. He said that it's pointless to buy gifts for your boy/girlfriend...he said not to spend money on someone unless you'd want to spend your entire life with them. He said to go ahead and date, but not spend money on people...it's bad if you have to buy their affection, and if they even expect that. He said he doesnt do anything for Valentines day with his wife, but some days he'll randomly do something for her. Basically he said that it's all materialism, which shouldnt be part of a relationship. He ended with "guys, dont buy stuff like that for your girlfriends...and girls, don't expect anything like that from the guys..."

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I think it is just a fun holiday. People at times, and this thread is a perfect example, want some sort of deep meaning and reason for everything. Just go out and have fun with your significant other, that's it. Nothing too complicated about it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

It shouldn't be recognized as anything--if you care about someone enough; everyday should be Valentines Day.
yeh, it's not necessary, but i wouldn't want it to be every day either.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Going by this train of thought, all holidays are unnecessary.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Background info

In Japan and Korea Valentine's Day has emerged, thanks to a concentrated marketing effort, as a day on which women, and less commonly men, give candy, chocolate or flowers to people they like. Rather than being voluntary however, this has become for many women ? especially those who work in offices ? an obligation, and they give chocolates to all their male co-workers, sometimes at significant personal expense.

Wow that sucks! Talk about molesting the spirit of the holiday.

"Hallmark: promoting sexist double-standards in the asian workplace." :p

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005

that's my theory -- except for EVERY holiday.