Does anybody else think that the media screwed this election?

64bitloopy

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
Al the exit polling, projections, and chaos was entertaining, but was it fair to either canidate?

Digobick

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not only was it misleading to both candidates, but the people waiting for hours last night for a winner should be upset as well.

First the media says Gore wins Florida, then they retract it. Then they claim Bush wins Florida and thus the election, then retract that as well (after congratulation calls had been made, and people had celebrated). People don't know whether to cheer or cry anymore with each "update." Now it's "up in the air."

Fathom5

Nov 3, 2000
I love how they get their little crystal balls out and predict a winner with "3 percent of the precincts in." LOL What a joke.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
The media is a joke. They have a history of messing up

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't like exit polls, but the media couldn't do them without the cooperation of the public revealing who they voted for. People should just say nothing, and the exit polling would go away.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
This is something I dont think should be on TV at all until the election is over. I also think the polls IN ALL STATES should be open at the same time like 7-7 in Ca and 10-10 in New Jerk.

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The media didn't screw up this election; Florida screwed up this election.

How many people there are KICKING THEMSELVES for not getting out and voting. Next election I predict record Florida turnout!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The major media looked like complete idiots. Period. My confidence in their reporting has been reduced almost to zero. On such an important issue as calling a state they flubbed big time. Tsk, tsk.

IsOs

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The news media definitely added to the confusion. All this electoral votes number are not official - they are all predictions by the news media based on the currently counted votes and exit polls they have taken. Whenever you see a state that has not yet counted 100% of the votes and that the difference between the candidates is less than the number of votes not counted, then that state's electoral votes may not have been awarded correctly.

Looks like we will not know for sure until ALL OF THE VOTES from these states that is too close to call have been counted. Then we'll probably see for the first time in our history that lawyers will file suit challenging the outcome of presidential election from each state.

I wouldn't be surprise if we later see evidence that there were some cheating - hiding of balots favoring a particular candidates.

SubmarineYN

Nov 7, 2000
I am definitely surprised that a professional politician like Gore would concede to a report made by the media, but then again, the liberals usually have the media world eating out of their hands anyway, so why shouldn't he trust what Danny Boy, Tommy and Pete say?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
On a local radio talk show this morning, the host commented that while watching Brokaw last night, Brokaw said that &quot;now that Gore has won Florida, all we need is...&quot; <some other states>.

Brokaw realized at once he had blown it by saying &quot;all we need&quot; instead of &quot;all Gore needs...&quot; but the cat was out of the bag.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I think the media did a predictable thing they do at every national election of this importance. They were there to inform and make judgements and render analysis. They did just what they always do,they got caught up in the excitement. It certainly had most of us energized. It was a super turnout at the polls and history was made.

Would you rather pony express deliver the news to you?

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< Would you rather pony express deliver the news to you? >>

That would cool! I could see it now. It would probably be more reliable than my cable service as well.

AudioBitch

Oct 15, 2000
Due to the timezone differences...the media totally screwed this election over...people in california or the west coast who were gonna vote later...decided not to go vote because they thought a winner had already been posted...the media screwed up, and should somehow be held accountable

besides..we won't know FOR SURE who is the president until december when the electoral college votes
not all the states have to vote in accordance with popular vote

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
They called Florida before ALL polls in that state closed. Though only by a few minutes. Simply put the media is fvcked up, and future elections, all votes should be counted before any state is &quot;won&quot;.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
In Canada, there is a result-reporting blackout imposed on the media in the provinces where voting is still occurring so that voting there will not be influenced by the results coming out from those where the polls have already closed. I think it's good not to know the results in the eastern part of the nation before you cast your vote. Why isn't there such a blackout in the US? That surely would diminish media 'screwing' the election.

I Wanna Be Elected (Alice Cooper)

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
The media could have screwed things up if gore had gone ahead with his scheduled address conceding the election to bush.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wouldn't it be great if a couple of the Bush electors voted Gore? Ohh that'd be so cool. Not just because I'm for Gore but because it would totally throw the entire country into havoc. :D