Does AMD now support UHD 4k playback with their new GPUs or APUs?

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
I need to buy a laptop, and 4k media playback is a question. I tried looking up but wasn't getting results one way or other. I thought I will ask here.

Thank you for your time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The answer is Yes, with the caveat that you need to be using "the right" player.

You can certainly watch 4K UHD VP9 content from YouTube on one, though I've not tried a 4K BR.

Reactions: garagisti

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
The answer is Yes, with the caveat that you need to be using "the right" player.

You can certainly watch 4K UHD VP9 content from YouTube on one, though I've not tried a 4K BR.

Thank you.

I was hoping for an answer with respect to streaming services, that is netflix etc and UHD 4k discs. From what i know, they did get playready certified a while back, but there is nothing concrete that I can find on this issue. I don't know why AMD won't really talk about it, if they do have these features. They have in past talked about such, was about regular Blu-ray originally.

Xbox and PS5, they both have AMD hardware, and support 4k disc playback. So no reason why it should not work. However, I do not want to buy, then cry. So here I am, asking questions.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Both gen of RDNA have the hardware, AMD calls it Video Core Next. Drivers were, as usual, the issue. They added support for Netflix 4k back in 2019. As you pointed out, they had to meet compliance with Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 for DRM. Whether or not it gets nerfed in a particular driver release is anyone's guess. :p

Reactions: garagisti

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Both gen of RDNA have the hardware, AMD calls it Video Core Next. Drivers were, as usual, the issue. They added support for Netflix 4k back in 2019. As you pointed out, they had to meet compliance with Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 for DRM. Whether or not it gets nerfed in a particular driver release is anyone's guess. :p
Thank you for giving heads up on video core next. I somehow managed to miss all news about it. Apparently we are right now on VCN 3.0, and it supports AV1 too.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER