Does AMD have equivalent to Intel Hyperthreading? (Quantispeed?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuackQuack

Jul 10, 2001
Just wondering if AMD has equivalent to Hyperthreading processor. A friend of mine says AMD's Quantispeed Architecture cpu's are equivalent but that didn't sound right to me.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
No, AMD doesn't have anything close to hyperthreading. QuantiSpeed is something entirely different, and has nothing to do with emulating two processors (what hyperthreading does).

Dazza

Jul 11, 2001
Pfft Hyperthreading is over hyped you hardly ever see a benifit. Thats why i gone back to my XP.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Pfft. Hyperthreading is great, you almost always see a benefit. That's why I switched back to Intel. :D

Just balancing out the opinions to keep the biases even.

QuackQuack

Jul 10, 2001
I play an MMORPG (DAOC) with a bunch of friends. You can play 2 accounts at once but NEED a HT Intel cpu to do this effectively. I was trying to find out if this was possible with AMD but it's not (well it is, but extremely laggy).

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: QuackQuack
I play an MMORPG (DAOC) with a bunch of friends. You can play 2 accounts at once but NEED a HT Intel cpu to do this effectively. I was trying to find out if this was possible with AMD but it's not (well it is, but extremely laggy).
You would definitely reap the benefits of HTing, then.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Hyperthreading would greatly increase this big multi tasking. I would guarantee youll see a performance leap. Quantispeed (correct me if im wrong) is just something in relation to AMD's short instructions set and there fore a 1.87GHZ is comparable to a P4 2.5 (dont think there is a P4 2.5 tho lol).

Fricardo

Apr 4, 2004
No. Hyperthreading is a proprietary way of running multiple CPU threads at once. If you are searching for an AMD equivalent there is none (unless you consider 64 bit performance gains while they are still AMD territory). Quantispeed is simply the name of the architecture that the chip runs on, not a feature. The Intel equivalent is Netburst.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
I think a dual cpu setup would be more than competitive with hyperthreading, just tough to find stuff
that would take advantage of it, just like hyperthreading...

bdjohnson

Oct 29, 2003
I am fairly nuetral on the issue. I have an AMD because they are cheaper. HT seems to only work better when the stuff you are doing is dual cpu optimized and it only does better if what you are doing would not max out the cpu anyway. On things that actually use the whole CPU (SETI, for example) HT makes no difference.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Xplaya91
Hyperthreading would greatly increase this big multi tasking. I would guarantee youll see a performance leap. Quantispeed (correct me if im wrong) is just something in relation to AMD's short instructions set and there fore a 1.87GHZ is comparable to a P4 2.5 (dont think there is a P4 2.5 tho lol).
Unless the specs are wrong, there are P4s at 2.5GHz. We used to have one at work with a whoppng 400MHz FSB :roll:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: bdjohnson
I am fairly nuetral on the issue. I have an AMD because they are cheaper. HT seems to only work better when the stuff you are doing is dual cpu optimized and it only does better if what you are doing would not max out the cpu anyway. On things that actually use the whole CPU (SETI, for example) HT makes no difference.
HT makes a large difference for SETI, 30% or more improvement. It's why the P4C is unmatched in SETI.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: QuackQuack

Tried that on an Athlon64?

neokenevel

Dec 17, 2014
Ok, so at the upper echelon of GHz geared CPU's available this December 2014 there's Intel's Core i7-4790K 64-bit, LGA1150 socketed, 4GHz, 4 core, triple cache, 22 nm, 88 Watt, CPU cooled, hyper-threading cpu with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 for $250. This is their only available chip reaching 4GHz of speed with their hyperthreading technology, whereas AMD has several using their 1 core per task approach. So you tell me if hyperthreading's really effective or not. AMD believes using different cores for different tasks is better then using 1 core to do several tasks because the intensive BIOS required to seperate active threads is resource intensive in itself (ref. intel hyper threading vs amd true core scalability). Intel's lithography is better then AMD's by 10 nanometers, however.

Then there's AMD's FX-9590 64-bit, 4.7GHz cpu with 8 cores, 3 caches, 32 nm, 220 Watt, CPU cooled, NON hyper-threading cpu with no integrated graphics for $283. It's faster then Intel's chip and doesn't need the hyperthreading to be effective. It comes with four more cores then i7-4790K. Even Intel CPU's benefit from additional graphics cards, so even though AMD's chip doesn't integrate them, you'd probably want to buy one anyway.

More modest are Intel's Core i3-4360 64-bit, LGA1150 socketed, 3.7GHz, 2 cored, 3 cache, 22 nm, 54 Watt, cpu cooled, hyper-threading cpu with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 for $130, and AMD's Athlon II X2 370K 64-bit, FM2 socketed, 4.2GHZ, 2 core, 2 cache, 32 nm, 65 Watt, cpu cooled, Non hyper-threading cpu without integrated graphics for $57.

So, AMD is ahead of Intel with the GHz even though Intel have hyper-threading and AMD chips do not This is the answer to the question posed in this thread (Does AMD have equivalent to Intel Hyperthreading?) AMD does better then hyperthreading because with their bios they achieve greater speeds (not an opinion, it's a fact). Intel chips are LGA socketed whereas AMD chips are FM2s. Intel chips have integrated graphics and AMD's do not. Intel has lower lithography by 10 nanometers. Intel chips use fewer Watts. There are advantages either way you go and technology is only going to progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.