Does AMD APP acceleration work?

lessthanuthought

Aug 29, 2009
I was thinking of getting a 7950 now that they are getting down to ~$150. But one of the main reasons I would get it is to speed up video editing software I use -Mostly Sony Vegas/DVD Architect, Adobe Encore and Photoshop. I can't find any info about how well the APP acceleration software works, or if it works with any or all of the above mentioned applications. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
~lessthanuthought

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Well those apps should use your OpenGL. Can I please get some system info for us.

My dad has a 560 Ti and his Photoshop and Premiere. Their flawless with his old 2600k and 560 Ti perhaps. let us help you more, fill in sig. Thanks.

lessthanuthought

Aug 29, 2009
Oh yeah, I also wanted to know if the app acceleration works even though I have an Intel chip, or does it work better with a AMD CPU? My system is:
Intel 3770k
ASRock Extreme4
Samsung 250GB Pro
16GB Mushkin RAM
Seasonic 650W (I think) (also is this PSU sufficient?)
Win 7 Ultimate
Fractal Design R4 (will this card fit in this case?)

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'd suggest Google searches on each product, and possibly posting in the user forums for each product.

Most people here use their AMD cards for games rather than Sony Vegas work.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure the make of CPU you are using would make no difference to whether app acceleration would occur or not in this case.

Regarding the google search, you'd want to find out if the applications in question are able to be accelerated through the use of OpenCL which your GPU is capable of.

lessthanuthought

Aug 29, 2009
I'd suggest Google searches on each product, and possibly posting in the user forums for each product.

Most people here use their AMD cards for games rather than Sony Vegas work.

I have searched Google for any information on AMD APP acceleration and can't find anything as far as how well it helps with stuff like rendering video. I'll check to see if I can find any information when searching for the specific products as you suggested. Thanks.

Last edited:

lessthanuthought

Aug 29, 2009
Wasn't the same question asked and answered just last week?
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2336829
http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/588
Although that was Vegas Pro only.

For the others they OP will have to do separate searches. Adobe is in a state of transit isn't it? CUDA > OpenCL but since Photoshop has plug-ins, even if Adobe switch totally to OpenCL, plug-in vendors may be behind.

Ah, thanks for the link to the other thread. I'll read it when I get home, and continue to research the other programs. I will update here in case anyone else has similar questions.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I think your problem is you are searching for "app accelleration". Yes AMD has this rather dumb catch phrase, but you need to to search for hardware video encoding, video acceleration, etc.

I can tell you that current Adobe products use OpenCL, and current AMD cards work pretty well. There is some support in older versions.

lessthanuthought

Aug 29, 2009
I think your problem is you are searching for "app accelleration". Yes AMD has this rather dumb catch phrase, but you need to to search for hardware video encoding, video acceleration, etc.

I can tell you that current Adobe products use OpenCL, and current AMD cards work pretty well. There is some support in older versions.

You are correct sir, I figured that out this afternoon, I thought it was strange that I type in App acceleration and the only things that comes up are links to amd.com