Does adding system RAM increase integrated graphics performance?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
The specs for my system say that I have an "Intel X3100 with 64MB-251 dynamically allocated shared graphics memory."

I always thought that integrated graphics used system memory. Is that true? If so, could you dramatically increase performance by upgrading from 2 gigs to 4 or more gigs of ram?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Nope. Integrated Intel graphics processors are extremely slow. They aren't anywhere near fast enough to begin needing to worry about memory size limitations. You're better off breaking down and buying a cheap card like a Radeon HD 4670 or a Geforce 9600GSO if you care about graphics performance at all.

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
Nope.

Same way that more VRAM doesn't translate as the only factor of a graphics adapter's performance, adding more system RAM to benefit an integrated graphics adapter is akin to using a hard disk as system RAM; there's just too much latency.

Not to mention that IGPs are crippled and crap in every other way other than VRAM, you're pretty much SOL.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
For games, you guys might be correct. (no point having 5 FPS over 3 FPS, if there is such gain) But for Aero/HD playback, the shared memory matters.

Sendoh

Aug 9, 2012
i recently upgraded the RAM from 2gb to 4 gb on my asus a24f dual core system.. and the integrated HD had a significant jump from 758mb to 1558mb..
so i gues it does make a difference to beef up the ram... i used two 2gb cards in the two alloted ram slots..

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
If it lacks memory yes. If not, no. or if you go from single to dualchannel in the upgrade process. it will make a difference too.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
i recently upgraded the RAM from 2gb to 4 gb on my asus a24f dual core system.. and the integrated HD had a significant jump from 758mb to 1558mb..
so i gues it does make a difference to beef up the ram... i used two 2gb cards in the two alloted ram slots..

The onboard video sub-system uses memory from the available RAM pool, reducing the total amount of memory available to the the OS to run programs and store data.

If your machine is running a 32 bit version of Windows, the OS can access is a little over 3 GB of RAM, max, but the video system can access RAM outside of that limit. You know this is true because you can display a boot screen (BIOS, etc.) before the machine even knows it has a hard drive, let alone an OS. Therefore, bumping your machine to 4 GB of RAM provies the video system with a RAM pool above the 3.x GB used by the OS.

I know this works because that's how I run my Compaq laptop with XP Pro. The BIOS shows 4096 GB of RAM, but from the desktop, Windows reports 3 GB available to the system. :cool:

The same would hold true under a 64 bit OS, except that the OS, itself, would not be limited to 3.x GB of RAM. In any case, more is better. :)

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
Nope. Integrated Intel graphics processors are extremely slow. They aren't anywhere near fast enough to begin needing to worry about memory size limitations. You're better off breaking down and buying a cheap card like a Radeon HD 4670 or a Geforce 9600GSO if you care about graphics performance at all.

The Integrated Intel graphics processor On Ivy Bridge the 4000k Will play Skyrim on Low settings lol

Fall out New Vegas on low to mid settings...

So SB integrated Intel graphics processor may not be very good but IB is decent..

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Adding more ram will not necessarily increase an integrated gpu's performance, but if that added ram means that the system would go from single channel to dual channel, it could affect performance a lot.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010

I doubt your hd2000 igpu can even use 758mb of ram at 1366x768, let alone 1558.

Reason you should get more ram is not because of the GPU, it's because you have too little of it as system memory.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
HENCE why IGP gfx suck and you should always try for a dedicated GPU... Now the new Intel IB 4000HD aren't to bad, but drivers are another topic of frustration....