Does Abit motherboard support on-die CPU thermal diode?

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999

<< According to the Motherboard Monitor web site, the following Abit MB supports on-die thermal diode: >>

<< BE6-2, BF6, BX133, SE6 >>

Does anyone own one of these motherboard and verify that they do support thermal diode? I cannot find any information about thermal diode at the Abit site.

The information at Abit's SE6 page is very confusing:

Miscellaneous
1. Support STR(Suspend to DRAM)
2. ATX form factor
3. 1 universal AGP slot, 6 PCI slots and 1 CNR slot
4. Hardware monitoring - Including fan speed, voltages, System environment temperature,and one Thermal header for CPU or other temperature monitoring

The thermal header for CPU (2-pin connector) should not be needed if the MB supports on-die thermal diode. Do you have the SE6 MB?

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My ASUS P3V4X supports on-die monitor and also has an extra plug for monitoring...I am pretty sure those Abit boards would support the on die monitoring. They are popular with overclockers and how else would everyone measure their temperatures?

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000

<< Does anyone own one of these motherboard and verify that they do support thermal diode? >>

My BE6-2 book says:

&quot;Hardware monitoring: included fan speed, voltages, CPU and system environment temperature&quot;.

It also says it has &quot;One Thermal Sensor Cable included&quot;.

There's already a little probe built on the mobo, but I'm looking at the little cable now (which also came with a pad of double-stick tape). The BIOS reports something that's called &quot;System Temperature 1&quot; and one that is &quot;CPU temperature&quot;. Since this is a slot mobo, I can't really see how the die temp could be accurately obtained when the die is sitting up above the mobo.

I'm thinking that I can sandwich the flat probe between the die and the Globalwin HS/F (I'm waiting for my Arctic Silver to come in, so there's nothing between the die/HSF now) or just tape it up in the case somewhere - maybe near the vid card if I wanted some other temp. There's a header called &quot;TSYS2&quot; near the CPU &amp; PCI slots, for connection of this cable and according to the book, it's &quot;to connect an additional thermistor to detect the temperature in the location of your choice&quot;.

Hmmm... Guess I gotta try this out!

:)

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
kami wrote:

<< I am pretty sure those Abit boards would support the on die monitoring. They are popular with overclockers and how else would everyone measure their temperatures? >>

You will be surprised. It seems to me that I am the only one among the forum users here who cares about thermal diode. No hardware review mentioned this topics at all and the readers do not ask questions.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Ummm, you'te the only one that cares? I've been complaining about relying on thermistor's on socket A systems for a while now. I've also been complaining about how via based p3 boards also use a thermistor to read cpu temps.

Back to the topic. I dont' know. I am not going to reply if I don't know or can't guess about it. I do know this. The i815E chipset is capable of thermal diode readings.

And there are plenty of motherboards with either problematic diode readings or don't even use an internal diode to measure temp. Among these include: Soyo 6vba +IV/III(very problematic diode readings), Soyo 7/6VCA, Abit VA6, and most of your via based p3 boards(gigabyte/asus via boards do support internal diode readings).

I would say that htose 4 boards are fairly popular with overclockers. yet none of them report cpu temp correctly. They are still good boards, but the cpu temp features are problematic. To put the blame on soyo for the 6vba +IV/III is fair, because the bx chipset is fully capable of reading internal diode temps. For the 7/6VCA/Abit Va6, and other via133/133A chipset mb's, the blame partially falls on via since the chipset is not capable of reading internal diode temps, but as shown by gigabyte/asus, it can be circumvented.

Mike

Sharkmeat

Sep 15, 2000
Intels P3 has a thermal diode switch built into the chip (check there tech site) incase it gets to hot it will shut down automaticial after it cools down the chip will start back up.I guess it was to protect the chip incase the fan stoped working, Intel,s people are smart :).AMD is going to put the thermal diode switches into there next batch of new CPU,s from what I read.I Wounder if it is a lic thing AMD will haft to work out with Intel on the thermal diode switch.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
The problem lies in mb's that don't read cpu temp from internal diode, rather from on mb based thermistor's.

Mike

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
Are there any overclockers who use Abit motherboard on this forum?

Do you know of any current Abit MB which supports on-die CPU thermal diode? Does the MB have the thermister under the CPU in the socket?

HellRaven

Feb 5, 2000
Thermite88,

I own an Abit KT7 (non-raid) and it does in fact have a thermal diode underneath the socket in the middle. On installation I bent it just a little and then when I was putting in the chip I applied some force and it bent down enough for the chip to seat and the thermal diode should still be making contact with the underside of the processor.

This is a socket-a motherboard and they included that because on the Intel chips it isn't truly needed since there is temperature sensor in the chip itself. I don't own any other abit boards so I can't tell you whether there is another type that does have one.

I didn't know that MBM doesn't recognize the cpu temperature sensor in the Intel chips...

TomBilliodeaux

Sep 29, 2000
The ABIT SE6 uses Diode reading of the chip temp.
DrHardware (software that comes on the Abit CD)displays that temp as well as allows alarm settings by user.
Also displays cpu and chasis fan rpm and other monitoring that is done. Also is a temp plug-in slot for use of therm cable (that does not ship with the SE6)and thermistor to position wherever you wish (CD,Hd,).
Thermistors are fast responders.

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
HellRaven wrote:

<< I own an Abit KT7 (non-raid) and it does in fact have a thermal diode underneath the socket in the middle. >>

What you are talking about is a thermister.

The thermal diode is a semi-conductor junction that the capacitance changes with temperature. All the current Intel CPU have this diode built into the CPU die. Therefore, it is possible for the overclocker to monitor the CPU temperature very accurately. Unfortunately, most motherboard manufacturer does not support the thermal diode. Asus is the only MB manufacturer who supports this function in all their Intel CPU motherboards. I tried to find some info about Abit, but has so far come up empty.

The thermister is a variable resistor that the resistance changes with temperature. It is huge (compared to a diode). Most MB manufacturer use it as an cheap alternative to the thermal diode to save a few resistors and capacitors on their MB. Since the thermister is outside of the CPU, some monitoring software add 10 deg F to the actually measured temperature. Others leave it to the user. It is a very inprecise measurement. (If you have an AMD Duron and the thermister says 130 deg F, the real CPU may be 150F or higher.)

My question is whether the Abit Intel CPU motherboard supports thermal diode.

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
TomBilliodeaux wrote:

<< The ABIT SE6 uses Diode reading of the chip temp. >>

Very interesting. How do you find out? I cannot find this info on the Abit web site or the SE6 manual.

<< Thermistors are fast responders. >>

But they are slow compared to the on-die diode, and they are outside of the CPU.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Under Socket Thermistor's are much more inaccurate than in-cpu thermodiodes.

Some reasons:
1. Placement of Thermistor varies from MB to MB
2. Ambient temp matters more for thermistor temp measurement
3. Touches the backside of FC cpu's, which is now idle substrate.
4. Doesn't show range of temp movement
5. Can be anywhere from 12-15C off.

Mike

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
Mike, do you know if the information that TomBilliodeaux provided is accurate. I am very frustrated that so few Abit users were willing to answer, and none provided any substantiation of their statements.

ahfung

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thermite88, I think I've got the answer u wanted.

I've built quite a few system with Abit mobo, they are BH6/BM6, BX6-II, BE6, BF6/BE6-II.

Among these models, only later model of BX6-II and BF6/BE6-2 support on-die temperature sensing. They are both Slot-1 mobo and even if u don't have the attached thermo senser the on-die CPU temperature can still be read by Dr Hardware or even Sisoft Sandra. The temperature is very accurate and rise/fall very rapidly when burning-in with Prime95.

BH6/BX6/BE6 ALL can't read the on-die diode without the thermister cable, while BM6 use an external diode right on the bottom of socket to &quot;touch&quot; the back of Celerons.

Hope these help.

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
ahfung,

Thank you. Your answer is exactly what I am looking for. Combined with response from others, I believe that the four motherboard mentioned by MBM do support the internal thermal diode in CPU.

Nevin

Oct 29, 1999
Hey thermite88,

Almost two weeks ago you asked this exact same question in a different thread and I answered:

<< According to the Motherboard Monitor web site and my experience with most of the boards, the following current Abit boards support thermal diode readings.
BE6-2
BF6
BX133
SE6
>>

What am I, chopped liver?

Nevin

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
Sorry, Nevin, no disrespect.

You quote the MBM for the answer. I just want to know if anyone has reference to the Abit web site or first hand user experience. I think I have the answer now. I apologize again. Absolutely no intention to offend.