Document files appearing blank when they aren't

Menalaus

Nov 28, 2007
So I recently reformatted and was going through installing all the software. Got Microsoft Office 2010 back on and I was looking through my backed up documents and many of them appear "blank". When I say blank I mean I open them up and nothing is there. The problem is that there is supposed to be something there. The file sizes confirm this--they are not blank. And multiple-paged documents have multiple pages, but all of them appear blank.

This is only happening for files that are listed as ".DOC File"(s). Please help me out here, I have lots of valuable information saved in these many documents.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Can you see it if you hit the "Print Preview" button?
How about if you open it from MS-Word itself instead (File -> Open)?
What happens if you save it as a different format, then load it again?

Menalaus

Nov 28, 2007
Can you see it if you hit the "Print Preview" button?
Nope. Nothing.

How about if you open it from MS-Word itself instead (File -> Open)?
Nope.

What happens if you save it as a different format, then load it again?
Saved it as an .rtf file. I opened it up and it showed up with every page full of underlines.

I should also note that it seems completely random as to which files appear blank and which do not. Some .doc files open just fine. At first I thought it had to do with files that were older than four years old but then I looked in other folders of files that were also four years old (or older) and they opened fine as well.

Also, when I say .doc file, I mean they look different from a normal Microsoft Word document. Example:

http://i.imgur.com/1PpRI.jpg

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Right click these files and click Properties->Summary->Advanced. What do you see that is different between the non-Word .doc and the Word .doc?

Menalaus

Nov 28, 2007
The templates are different. Normal-looking documents are under a "Normal.dotm" template, while the ones that are wonky are under "Normal.dot". It also lists the origin of program name as "Microsoft Word 9.0" instead of "Microsoft Office Word".

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Did you touch the files with Open Office by any chance? OO and LibreOffice seem to destroy files.

Menalaus

Nov 28, 2007
I did when trying to open them up on a laptop, but I only tried to open up two documents before realizing I should probably stop because, as you said, it seemed to be "blanking" them. Why would all of these files I never touched with OpenOffice be acting like this?