Doctor gave me a little prick yesterday.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
So who else has had allergy testing done? They tested me for allergic reactions to two types of stinging insects (which I will from now on refer to as "bees"). Basically they started out giving me control shots in both arms. Then they started the tests. They started with a scratch test - they put a little venom on my skin, then using a pointy plastic thing they scratched my skin through the venom.

I waited 20 minutes. There was no reaction.

Then they put a low dose of venom in a syringe and injected it. 20 minutes later there was still no reaction. The whole process was repeated several times, with the venom potency increased each time. <sarcasm> Luckily for me, </sarcasm> I wasn't very allergic to either bee, so I got the maximum number of shots - about 6 or 7 in each arm, plus multple scratch tests. The whole ordeal lasted over 3 hours. I finally reacted to the maximum potency of both types of venom.

Now I have to get allergy shots every month for 5 years :( ...but the doctor said that when the treatment is complete, there is a 97% chance I'm cured :)

So what do I have to look forward to? Has anyone else taken allergy shots for a long period of time?

EDIT: Questions about my allergies? See this thread.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Why get continuous allergy shots for something you're not very allergic to, if at all? :confused:

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
When I was younger (10-11 ish) I was tested for all sorts of allergies. They basically divided my back in to 20-30 "squares" that did one of those scratch tests in each square.

I turned out to be allergic to several different things.

I got "allergy shots" 4 a week (2 per arm) for at least 5 years.

They did seem to help, since after the treatments the severity of my reactions dropped to almost 0. I still react a little, but nothing that's intolerable.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: theknight571
When I was younger (10-11 ish) I was tested for all sorts of allergies. They basically divided my back in to 20-30 "squares" that did one of those scratch tests in each square.

I turned out to be allergic to several different things.

I got "allergy shots" 4 a week (2 per arm) for at least 5 years.

They did seem to help, since after the treatments the severity of my reactions dropped to almost 0. I still react a little, but nothing that's intolerable.

Those tests aren't uncommon, but not as good as when they take a blood sample and test it. But everyone has allergies...its the symptoms of them that lead people to get testing. If you're healthy and don't have symptoms, who cares if you're allergic to ragweed, etc.?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
So who else has had allergy testing done? They tested me for allergic reactions to two types of stinging insects (which I will from now on refer to as "bees"). Basically they started out giving me control shots in both arms. Then they started the tests. They started with a scratch test - they put a little venom on my skin, then using a pointy plastic thing they scratched my skin through the venom.

I waited 20 minutes. There was no reaction.

Then they put a low dose of venom in a syringe and injected it. 20 minutes later there was still no reaction. The whole process was repeated several times, with the venom potency increased each time. <sarcasm> Luckily for me, </sarcasm> I wasn't very allergic to either bee, so I got the maximum number of shots - about 6 or 7 in each arm, plus multple scratch tests. The whole ordeal lasted over 3 hours. I finally reacted to the maximum potency of both types of venom.

Now I have to get allergy shots every month for 5 years :( ...but the doctor said that when the treatment is complete, there is a 97% chance I'm cured :)

So what do I have to look forward to? Has anyone else taken allergy shots for a long period of time?

Just curious, but...

If I could offer you a one month non-FDA approved semi-experimental course of treatment on some Caribbean island, that offered similar chances of success, would you be interested?

edit: I should add the downside. It wouldn't be cheap, your insurance might not cover it, and you might feel sort of sick for a while during the treatment.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Just to add, I've had blood tests to determine allergies, since I've always suffered from fatigue. Turned out I wasn't allergic to many environmental elements, but am very allergic to some foods, such as dairy proteins, beef, some beans such as kidney, and a few other things. Dropping milk years ago has made a huge difference.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I used to get pricked like that all the time. Last time I did it, I ended up being allergic to at least 5 types of grass, cats, dogs, trees, you name it.

Only after I was on the allergy shots and in the hospital for it did the doctor realize the dose was too strong and had to lower it.

o_0

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Cured of what? I barely allergic reaction to "bees" at maximum dosage?

I'm allergic to damned near everything that is green or has 4 legs. One of my options was allergy shots for "the cure" but I'd rather just pop some Claritin in Spring and Fall.

I'm not sure what the Dr. plans to cure you of here...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
My sister went through the same allergy treatment that your allergist is suggesting. However, she was allergic to many more things than you and it was well worth it. It is true that after the treatment you will be cured to the degree that they tell you.

However, 5 years is a long time for treatment so if I were you I would figure out if it is really worth it. If you encounter insects often enough which could induce this kind of reaction to you if stung and your insurance covers the cost then it may be worth it. If not then I say "if it ain't broke then don't fix it".

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy

I'm allergic to damned near everything that is green or has 4 legs. One of my options was allergy shots for "the cure" but I'd rather just pop some Claritin in Spring and Fall.

A potentially life threatening insect bite.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Gibsons

A potentially life threatening insect bite.

If the allergic reaction to one sting could be that serious then I would go through the treatment despite what I said above. Everyone gets stung occasionally so it would be worth it.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I don't understand why you have to get shots for an allergy to bee stings ?
Are you a bee keeper ? do you like poking bee hives with sticks ?

I know people who are allergic to bee's but they keep a simple bee sting kit made for people who are allergic. Its got an injector you use if and only if you get stung. about 20.00

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I don't understand why you have to get shots for an allergy to bee stings ?
Are you a bee keeper ? do you like poking bee hives with sticks ?

I know people who are allergic to bee's but they keep a simple bee sting kit made for people who are allergic. Its got an injector you use if and only if you get stung. about 20.00

You don't "have to". There are plenty of ways to reduce the risk of the allergic reaction to one sting will be serious. However, all of those ways must be performed for the rest of your life. The shots are for 5 years. Still, I can understand why different people would choose different paths on this matter.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Why get continuous allergy shots for something you're not very allergic to, if at all? :confused:

I am allergic to bees. Apparently I'm just not real allergic to the two that they tested yesterday. A yellowjacket put me in the hospital a few weeks ago.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001

I'm highly allergic to some types of bees. One bee sting put me in the hospital a few weeks ago. Apparently I'm more allergic to some than others, but they wanted to check all the most common local species.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I've never had any allergies, nor have I had any allergy tests, at least not formal ones.
I have received multiple "natural" stinging-insect allergy tests. From experience, I am not allergic to stings/bites from:
- wolf spiders
- bald-faced hornets
- yellow jackets
- wasps (brown ones and yellowish paper wasps)

It's especially fun mowing a lawn of small landmines - the damn hornets love to nest underground. Mower passes over, pisses them off, and by the time they respond, I'm walking right over the entrance to the nest. Multiple "allergy injections" like that aren't much fun.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: jjsole

I am allergic to bees. Apparently I'm just not real allergic to the two that they tested yesterday. A yellowjacket put me in the hospital a few weeks ago.

I see, then of course that makes a lot of sense to build up antibodies for its venom.