DOCSIS 3.0 or 2.0 Modem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Well...in the end I am no longer paying the $7/mo lease, I have a brand new modem that should be able to keep up with any changes Comcast makes in the next few years or if I upgrade my service.

And most of all...I'm happy and in the end what more can I ask for.

Slug

Oct 12, 1999
FWIW, I had service with Insight at 20/2 with DOCSIS 2.0, but my upgrade to 50/5 required a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem (that they provided), which seems to work very well :) And since they're overcharging me anyway, I don't have to pay a rental fee ;)

Nuwave

Jun 30, 2008
I totally agree and it's a shame he missed that.

No he didn't "miss" that. You should not inherently EXPECT those increases based solely on changing from docsis 2 to docsis 3. If you get an increase, like you did, then great. But those expectations are what Jack is saying are naive.

As an example; it's the same lines of thinking that changing your lan environment from 100Mbit to Gigabit, and expecting the internet to be faster. Maybe in some cases people saw an increase in speed. But it's likely because they solved an underlying issue that they didn't realise they had, like a duplex mismatch. Expecting the internet to be faster is naive.

The same can be said for expecting an increase in speeds going from Docsis 2(Geo Metro) to Docsis 3(Dodge Viper) for the same service level(Speed Limit 35mph).

In your case you may have solved a hardware or layer 1 issue by replacing the modem.

talonz

Jun 2, 2008
No he didn't "miss" that. You should not inherently EXPECT those increases based solely on changing from docsis 2 to docsis 3. If you get an increase, like you did, then great. But those expectations are what Jack is saying are naive.

As an example; it's the same lines of thinking that changing your lan environment from 100Mbit to Gigabit, and expecting the internet to be faster. Maybe in some cases people saw an increase in speed. But it's likely because they solved an underlying issue that they didn't realise they had, like a duplex mismatch. Expecting the internet to be faster is naive.

The same can be said for expecting an increase in speeds going from Docsis 2(Geo Metro) to Docsis 3(Dodge Viper) for the same service level(Speed Limit 35mph).

In your case you may have solved a hardware or layer 1 issue by replacing the modem.

More like going from a 1 lane 55mph commute to a 4 lane 55mph commute. When there's an accident in your lane, you don't get slowed down (I wish this were a perfect analogy).

indianaraptor

Mar 6, 2012
Here is my test results. I have a DOCSIS 2.0 Motorola Surfboard 5100

I live in central Indiana area. I am using Comcast Performance Internet service also.

I hope this helps someone about what kind of speeds you can get with old technology still. I would like to try out a new modem with D3's

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1818103528.png

AlucardX

May 20, 2000
i just went through this. i bought a zoom 5413J (i think it was) which was a D3.0 modem. was pretty straight forward, hooked it up, called comcast, gave them the MAC and S/N and I was good to go.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
If your internet plan doesn't offer a throughput that exceeds the capability of a DOCSIS2 modem, and you saw a speed increase after purchasing a DOCSIS3 modem, your old modem clearly had a problem. Either way though, you are better off with the DOCSIS3 as you won't need to replace the modem if you ever upgrade beyond DOCSIS3 speeds. Win-win!

Edit, since you are no longer renting a modem, that's actually a triple-win.

Please don't bump old threads. Unlicensed necromancy is the single biggest threat to public safety these days.;)
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.