Do your friends play on PC or Console? (and how to convert them)

Where do your friends primarily play

• xbox

• playstaion

• PC/Steam

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Since the release of steam, if i have the opportunity, and the game as been ported properly, i always prefer playing/owning the game for PC. My problem is i usually end up still buying games for console simply because everyone i know is on there.

The most recent example: a few friends bought Halo 4, and initially i said i wasnt gonna, but then a few friends from work convinced me.

Halo is a different story since its only out on 360, but in the past Ive bought: 2 copies of saints row, 2 copies of a couple call of duty games, (not even that I LOVE these games, but playing with friends in those sort of games is 1000 times better than playing alone) and almost caved and bought borderlands 2 even though i have it for PC.

All i want is maybe a few of them to make the switch, but until now they have always been reluctant.

How do you convince someone to switch to PC? I think its especially difficult now with new consoles coming out in a year or so. My reasons usually are:

-Graphics are so much better, and always will be (especially in a game like call of duty, or even saints row)
-Steam - I LOVE steam. One place that has all your games, and you never have to worry about losing CD's or anything like that.
-cheaper games - As long as you dont want something RIGHT away, you can usually get 60 dollar launch day games for less than 20 a month or so after release. Not to mention steam sales, and other deals to be had all over. I have even went and bought games I have already played for console on PC since they were so cheap. (example: my steam account is worth over $4000, and im guessing ive spent maybe an eighth of that)
-Multi usage - ITS A PC! and if you have one hooked up to a TV, its the most capable device you can possibly have. No crappy netflix clients, or xbox apps or anything like that. Plus I have a HD homerun prime, which is SO much better than the shitty box comcast gives you. I could go on here, but you get the point.
Keyboard or Controller - Even if you primarily use a controller, sometimes a kb+m is a better choice for anyone. Plus in game chat with a keyboard beats the crap out of the xbox keyboard.

Arguments against it usually are:
-Too expensive
-no one else plays on it
-some games dont come out on PC
-new systems coming out soon that will look almost as good
-much more work for a very similar experience

For myself its a no brainer. Steam has made it so easy and cheaper to be a PC gamer. Im also one of the few people who can really see the difference in higher resolutions (kinda pisses me off when people cant notice a difference in quality. those will probably be the same people buying 4k TV's when they cant see the difference in 720 vs 1080).

This isnt just a problem for me, but for PC gaming in general if it wants more people to convert. Even if the entry price gets lowered, and it gets even easier to play on PC, they still need to get people on there (probably the same reason i pay for xbox live rather than use the free PSN, no one i know is really on there).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My friends don't always play games, but when they do, they prefer consoles.

Reason: Noobism.

Real reason: PC Gaming is intimidating. They think it is more of a pain in the ass than it actually is. They know nothing about what to buy or what to build since there are endless options. Instead of risking money on making a bad choice, they stick to the safe route and play console because they know that they can't screw that up.
Most of my friends have no desire to troubleshoot anything beyond the power cord not being plugged in. Therefore, console gaming.
They don't want to spend 5x the money on a PC only to have it suck and not run games in 5 years.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
My friends don't always play games, but when they do, they prefer consoles.

Reason: Noobism.

Real reason: PC Gaming is intimidating. They think it is more of a pain in the ass than it actually is. They know nothing about what to buy or what to build since there are endless options. Instead of risking money on making a bad choice, they stick to the safe route and play console because they know that they can't screw that up.
Most of my friends have no desire to troubleshoot anything beyond the power cord not being plugged in. Therefore, console gaming.
They don't want to spend 5x the money on a PC only to have it suck and not run games in 5 years.

Many people have the idea that installing a PC game is a long process and they have to use a keyboard and mouse in every game. I remember back in the Windows 98 days where some PC games could actually kill a windows install completely and the use of the controller is now easier than ever conpared to the windows 98 days. Just plug an xbox wireless receiver in and turn on your controller and start playing. I'd have to say that 80% of current games out there are controller compatible without even tweaking any settings at all.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
All my friends play on consoles (I used to also). I'm the only one on PC these days.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
99% of the people i know are console only, and of those 99% is PS3, a couple have both a PS3 and a xbox. only 1 even owns a computer that can play games. a fe whave macs, and the rest have something really old or a super portable laptop

you cant convert them, even giving them a top of the line gaming computer will not work

reasons: its more social, and cheaper. more convienent, blah blah blah

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
99% of the people i know are console only, and of those 99% is PS3, a couple have both a PS3 and a xbox. only 1 even owns a computer that can play games. a fe whave macs, and the rest have something really old or a super portable laptop

you cant convert them, even giving them a top of the line gaming computer will not work

reasons: its more social, and cheaper. more convienent, blah blah blah

I actually did this with a friend a few years back, but back then it was so much harder, and hindsight i shouldnt have even tried then because i think it really turned him off to it, given the state of PC gaming. This was was back in like 2006. Money is no object for him, but he still prefers consoles probably based on that last experience.

My best shot to convert him is to build him a pretty capable HTPC for other reasons, and the next game he wants to buy and play together, have him get it for PC (maybe borderlands 2 or something like that).

Whats really sad is i have another steam account with a few games that im willing to GIVE to one of my friends if they committed to PC gaming. :'(

Hopefully a steam box comes out and saves/introduces PC gaming to the masses. If valve can put out something for 300-400 dollars that will have graphics similar to the next gen consoles i think they have a shot. But then again - i think a valve box would probably end up running linux, and i still think the chances of that being main stream are slim (even though im hopeful).

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If money is no object, have him buy a Falcon Northwest Tiki - it's tiny and can be equipped with a GTX 670.

I mostly play on the PC, but I also have a PS2, PS3 and 360 for the exclusives.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
All of my friends are PC gamers. We all also own PS3's. We all had 360's when they first came out and over the course of 2 years they all died and been replaced multiple times and we said fuck that, as well as paying to play online. There is 6 of us that are all close that try to play together when we can.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Luckily all of my friends are PC gamers. Some of us own consoles as well, but for playing multiplayer games together we always play on PC's. We still get together a few times a year for LAN partys.

Personally I like to play everything on PC, and only use my 360/PS3/Wii for exclusives. I can see the appeal though. Never having to worry about upgrading/compatibility issues is a nice benefit. Also being able to play from the couch is a plus. Yes you can hook your PC up to a TV, but I'm not going to play KB/mouse from the couch.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't try to convince them, it'll just lead to an argument. If they were interested in PC gaming then you'd already have an in, because they'd be approaching you asking about it. Since they're not then they have no interest and every time you bring it up just annoys them.

(also, the netflix argument is pretty poor as IMO the browser version is terrible to use from the couch)

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
(also, the netflix argument is pretty poor as IMO the browser version is terrible to use from the couch)

Indeed. I have am HTPC and I still prefer to watch Netflix through my PS3. There is a chrome plugin that makes Netflix a bit more usable, but I still wouldn't prefer to use it over a console or dedicated media device.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
N/A. The only gamers I know stuck on consoles only can't mentally handle PC configuration. Everybody else uses both consoles and PCs.

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
I've got a decent mix, but most of my close IRL friends mainly play on console (PS3 specifically). None of them are really hardcore gamers by any means, we use it more of a chance to stay in touch and hang out when we are scattered all across the country/world.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
most of my friends aren't gamers. I do know a few of the local gamestop guys who are and generally they play a good mix.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
It's about 50/50. I think the cost of a high end gaming PC is a big barrier of entry for quite a few people, whereas a 200-300$ console not so much.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
my friends are all MS IT guys like myself so yes we all have game PCs.

but we also all have Xboxs and certain games are better on certain platforms.. ( sports/driving games)
So both..

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I built a gaming PC for a friend of mine about 4 months ago. how did I convince him to build a gaming PC? I showed him BF3 with 64 players (he was a ps3 guy- 24 players max on BF3 MP) and I let him play Metro 2033....he freaked!

That said, there were some headaches initially. For one, he went on Steam and purchased some older games which took a few extra steps to get to work. No biggie for me, but it was a headache to talk him throuhg the process over the phone while navigating the Steam forums on that particular game to get it to work (most notably Bioshock!).

I also had to explain to him how display drivers work, and how to manage his SSD (I only installed the Os on there, Steam, Origin, all other apps are on a platter drive). I think he was a little overwhelmed at first, but he's getting the hang of it. He's not a tech savvy guy, but he's not an idiot. Console players are used to the "set it and forget it "mentality, where everything is auto updated and done for you.

That, and the adjustment from the ps3 dualshock pad to a mouse/ KB took some time for him.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I've played on PC for years, and have a gaming laptop and a nice gaming rig I built with 24" monitor..but I tend to play my PS3 pretty much exclusively now. My son plays on the big computer minecraft and TF2, while talking to his other friends on Xbox live that are also playing their computers. I've tried to convince him they can all talk over the PC..but they prefer the Xbox party chat...so there's some hybridization between the two that is starting to go on.

For reference I'm 40 and my son is 11.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Most of my friends are Console users.

Aside from the stigma that consoles are for TRUE gaming, they are simply convenient. Turn on the console, insert disc and play. No fuss, no technicalities to mind. PCs can never match this simplicity. Even assuming a pre-built PCs with pre-installed OS, you still need to install the game, configure settings, etc etc.

I have shown them the beauty (and graphical prowess) of 1080p PC gaming on a large plasma screen and surround sound system. Most will not let go the thought that it is too complex to set-up and they return to their convenient consoles. Never mind that it does not even look half as good (I cringe at what I see on Wii consoles).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Back in the day I had a lot of local friends I met from fps MP pc games.

Lost contact once I became all grown up. Now I just have a couple long time friends, and co-workers. All play console only, it's pointless trying to convince them to play pc games. They can't even grasp the concept of aiming with a mouse, and can't fathom how anything besides a controller would be better for gaming.

Don't even notice how much better looking games are @ 1080p with all the options maxed at 60fps. Pretty sad really.

I own a ps3 that I got bundled with one of my tv's. Uncharted is damn impressive as a game, along with some other exclusives, but overall the ps3 is just nothing compared to a gaming pc.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
All PCs, no consoles. Most everyone in the household uses the PCs for work and for play. Not a lot of younger kids in the folks we know, and pretty much everyone is PC-centric.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Heavily dependent on the person. Most people are lazy or inept and just want something that works without much fuss. This is why consoles have the majority of sales.

PC has the capability to be better at everything (even convenience if done properly), but most people don't want to spend the time to do it themselves.

For the most part, you won't be able to argue for/against anything with someone of a certain liking. That is the way they are unless they take particular interest in something themself and open up Pandora's box to a new world of possibilities.

Summary: most people are flat landers. :p

I didn't vote because I know a mix of everything.

There's absolutely no way in hell I'd pay for online access for a console. That's double tax (paying for service from ISP then also for the gaming connection community), and I consider that extremely silly. At least paying for an MMO you're getting constant refreshes and updates for that game, which is compensation for development.