Do you worry about other peoples feelings too much?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
Sometimes :(

I hang out with a lot of my friends who have "thick" skins, so we're cynical, pretentious and sarcastic (CPS) with each other. :eek: Sometimes, I have to "watch" myself when meeting a new person, or speaking with a not-so-close-friend in order to avoid being too much of myself with them (e.g., exhibiting CPS). Growing up with five other siblings, though, and watchful parents taught me to "balance" myself.

But yeah...sometimes, I do speak before I think and sometimes wish that I hadn't said what I had earlier.

tkim

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2000
all the time...get disappointed so much that life sucks sometimes. however, i try not to let it get me down. i try to not base my current experiences on past ones. it's hard and i face the same disappointement many times. the funny thing is, it happens with the same people over and over again. i am a glutton for punishment when it comes to certain people and i don't know why. it's hard being TOO nice.

kassy

Sep 13, 2000
GF - wait til you hit your 30's, PMS gets worse before menopause hits and people beware. ;)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LMAO at Russ. :)

I don't try to hurt peoples feelings, but it happens. My brain can come up with something to say and my mouth can spit it out faster than I can think about the effect. After I've said some things, I regret, and then worry for awhile about the other person.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Except, call me weird, but I think Russ was being sarcastic. >>

Hey! You just hurt my feelings!

Russ, NCNE

kassy

Sep 13, 2000

<< Be nice to Russ. He's very fragile. >>

Is that before or after the cactus thorns ? ;)

PlunX

Golden Member
May 26, 2000
How odd, my girlfriend and I got into somewhat of a small argument yesterday about this same subject.. Well, sorta. At first we were talking about donating to charity or anyone else who -needs- stuff.. We agreed on children's hospitals (and basically anything else to do with children) and even helping out other countries. Even though we were just imagining this stuff and knew we'd probably never have enough money to actually mean anything to anyone, we kept talking about it and we eventually started talking about other places to donate. I told her that there'd be no way I'd ever donate to any place where a criminal (robbery, murder, rape, etc.) could stay. For some reason, however, She said that she was alright with donating money even if some of the people could be criminals. We then got into a long and drawn out discussion about how people either change or don't change and all this stuff.. Anyway, I just thought it was somewhat odd to see a message like this as the top as soon as I wake up that pretty much has to do with an argument I was in yesterday.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000

<<

<< Except, call me weird, but I think Russ was being sarcastic. >>

Hey! You just hurt my feelings!

Russ, NCNE
>>

Oh great, someone else to worry about now! I get no support from you people, I swear. ;)

kag

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
www.boloxe.com
When I was younger (like 15), when people were doing things that I didn't like, I used to shut up say nothing... but since like 2 years, whenever someone does something that really pisses me off or if something happens and I have to say something to someone, I will say it promply... and sometimes too promply... I haven't really had any problems with that, but I've been on the border line often.

Howerver, I still do care about my best friend's feeling, and sometimes, I will wait to tell them something until there's a better moment... but in the end, I will always tell them.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've been a &quot;helper&quot; as long as I can remember.. I get it from my mom, she helps people and puts their needs ahead of everything, regardless of how much she likes or dislikes them.

Making people happy is actually what keeps me going. If I don't make SOMEONE's day brighter I feel like a total waste. It's kind of sad though, I realized only about 2 weeks ago that I don't know how to make MYSELF happy in any other way.. I've never really had anyone go out of their way for me like I do for them, so the only way I know how to make my own mood positive is to change someone else's.

At least it gives me the pretense of some sort of &quot;purpose&quot; -- a guardian angel so to speak. I'm sure I'll break out of this fanciful illusion sooner or later, but for now, I'll keep on putting others ahead of me...

myputer

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2001
I know I do, my whole life I have been that way. I have gotten myself screwed so many times (and not in the good way either) because I was afraid of hurting someone elses feelings, and instead hurt my own. And mostly by my own family too, although every friend I have had has hurt me in some way or another. I guess it just bugs me that its an either or situation. Either I become a bitch, or I get hurt. Makes it so I don't even want to deal with people anymore.

Cousin people will treat you the way you allow them to treat you, stand tall and tell them all to kiss your ass! You will feel so much better when you finally do it! And don't buy into the guilt trips our family is soooo good at trying to dish out.:)

Elita1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
A big resounding yes over here.

&quot;Turn the other cheek&quot; my arse!;)
Somedays I'd like to just like to give a large piece of my mind(and foot!) to people who are jerks. I can't understand why some people don't care if they hurt others. Just ticks me right off.:(

kassy

Sep 13, 2000

<< &quot;Turn the other cheek&quot; my arse! >>

Elita1 - WooHoo, LOL, gotta love those hormones !! :D j/k
btw Elita - Potato Chips with lots of salt for that morning sickness... if you havent tried it already, it should help.

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
What the hell? Why is everyone so nice here? Where are all the heartless right wing Republicans who usually populate this board?:)

As for myself, on a scale of 1(spineless pushover) to 10(complete selfish bastard), I would have to say 6. OK, 7.5.

Elita1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000

<< Elita1 - WooHoo, LOL, gotta love those hormones >>

Tell me about it!
I've been feeling like kickin' some @$$ for a good while now;) Stay away! beware the pregnant lady!:p
Note: this does not mean that my poor hubby is in trouble. He's been treating me like a queen lately so he has my pardon;)

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Although I have and still do worry about hurting other peoples feelings, I still try my hardest to please everyone.

It just makes it all worth it when you get that thank you or some sort of appreciation for being considerate and understanding.

I was always nice to my female friend, not because i wanted to get with them, but because that's the way i was raised. I was always getting stepped on by some of them, but it has made it all worth it now that I have a 3 year relationship with a woman who appreciates all of my niceties. Although she gets crazy jealous when I treat other women well. :eek:

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I don't particularly worry about hurting people's feelings too much. In my opinion, they'll live. ;)

Seriously, I don't go out of my way to hurt anyone's feelings and I'll usually try to avoid it if at all possible. But if they're in the way of accomplishing my tasks/goals, then fine. I can play the part of a mean SOB. :D I do get comments on how &quot;nice&quot; I am though. <shudder> ;)