do you want your State to secede?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

do you wish your state would secede?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Nope, sure don't.

There's a few states in the South that could disappear and not cause me too much grief though.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Oh noes, the citizens of those states wouldn't have Uncle Sam around to take $10 out of their right pocket in taxes, and put $9 back into the left pocket after the bureaucrats and politicians get their cut. How would they ever fund essential services for their state if not for someone in Washington D.C. telling them how?

I'd be less worried about Washington DC and more about suddenly having to import all our food from a foreign country.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'd be very mixed on this coming from IL. On one hand, I wouldn't want to screw up The Middle (I'd expect the East and West to remain), given Chicago/Crook and ESL. On the other, I woudn't want to rob the rest of IL of breaking free. So I'd say more like Yes, with conditions. IL can't go if it brings ESL and Chicago/Crook with it, otherwise it's bringing net negative to the table.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Give your reasons for your opinion. What benefits do you get for not being part of the USA? You realize you will get no federal funding don't you? How do you think states build highways. Almost every High School, College, and Grades school receives federal funding. What about Social Security? So what benefits would you receive?
less ip, less national debt, less inflation, possibly allowed to discriminate again, and a geographically smaller State which would make exit easier if it does grow out of hand.

the more sovereigns the merrier.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
why trouble the cubans?

if you want 50 we can take canada. we just tell the international community canada is the 50th state. it's not like they're gonna fight back.

Canada is now a Great Power. We are no Afghanistan or Iraq. We won the war of 1812 and we'd win another with the U.S. (with the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Russia, France, China, Japan, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, India, Pakistan, Iran and Luxembourgh helping out a little.)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I think the USA is too big. I'd be fine with it splitting up and see no real problems. There wouldn't be any 'war' and interstate commerce would continue on just fine.

Some portions would have very lax drug laws. Some would have gay marriage, others wouldn't. Some would have high speed limits, some would mandate cars be electric. Some would outlaw Chinese products and impose tariffs. Some would do away with immigration laws, others would deport illegals. Heck, some may dump English and adopt Spanish as the official language.

I'd love the differences and it would highly entertaining to watch. It would be like traveling around in Europe, sort of.

Fern

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I think the USA is too big. I'd be fine with it splitting up and see no real problems. There wouldn't be any 'war' and interstate commerce would continue on just fine.

Some portions would have very lax drug laws. Some would have gay marriage, others wouldn't. Some would have high speed limits, some would mandate cars be electric. Some would outlaw Chinese products and impose tariffs. Some would do away with immigration laws, others would deport illegals. Heck, some may dump English and adopt Spanish as the official language.

I'd love the differences and it would highly entertaining to watch. It would be like traveling around in Europe, sort of.

Fern

Here is a map of how a Russian prof figures it could go, map number 11

40 maps that explain the world

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
personally, i think the country would be more functional and more governable as 3 to 4 smaller collection of states. But that's never going to happen

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Here is a map of how a Russian prof figures it could go, map number 11

40 maps that explain the world

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/12/40-maps-that-explain-the-world/

Thanks.

That's interesting. I've bookmarked to look at all maps later. Of course, probably goes without saying That I don't agree with the Russians professors map of a split up USA. E.g., I'm in NC and he's got us going along with NE (NY etc.) instead of SC, Georgia and Tenn etc.

Fern

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks.

That's interesting. I've bookmarked to look at all maps later. Of course, probably goes without saying That I don't agree with the Russians professors map of a split up USA. E.g., I'm in NC and he's got us going along with NE (NY etc.) instead of SC, Georgia and Tenn etc.

Fern

Ya, like the author of the page says "I've included it both for a taste of how the United States is sometimes perceived abroad and to give American readers a sense for what it can feel like to have the outside world get your country so wildly wrong."

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
People born in chains apparently do not recognize their slavery. They believe this slavery empowers them, provides for them, nurtures them. Is that what Obamacare did for you? The NSA, TSA, the Patriot Act?

Are you all so stupid as to love those things? The whips of your master.

I am for State's Rights, and failing that the dissolution of our Union. I am for the breaking of chains and the rights of Liberty and Freedom, the rights to forge your own path untethered by needless sycophants in Washington DC.

I am for you to be slaves no more. Vote yes, and find freedom as your forefathers did.
That makes some sense if you happen to live in a state that isn't run by a group of nutjobs that makes Washington look like a bastion of competent benevolence.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That makes some sense if you happen to live in a state that isn't run by a group of nutjobs that makes Washington look like a bastion of competent benevolence.

So you would condemn individuality and diversity on the chance that it might turn out wrong. What of putting all your eggs in one basket, could they not ever spill?

Then when it happens, and it will, the corruption will hold unbridled power.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So you would condemn individuality and diversity on the chance that it might turn out wrong. What of putting all your eggs in one basket, could they not ever spill?

Then when it happens, and it will, the corruption will hold unbridled power.
The federalist system, being two tiered, provides some ability to temper the stupidity of one level of government at the other level.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nominated for most hilarious post of the year.
Not really. The insanity of state level segregation was assisted into the ash bin of history by the federal government. The federal government is seeing pushback against the insanity of federal drug laws by states which don't want to play that game anymore. The states have tremendous power over the federal government; they are just generally too craven to use it.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
But Uncle Sugar, which is run by Politicians that never need to worry about money, buys that state compliance when it comes down to it. What do Politicians and Lawyers have in common? They are both whores at heart.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
But Uncle Sugar, which is run by Politicians that never need to worry about money, buys that state compliance when it comes down to it. What do Politicians and Lawyers have in common? They are both whores at heart.
The feds don't so much buy the states' compliance as they do the states' dirty work. State politicians don't like to raise taxes so they have Congress do it then live off block grants sent back to the states.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, I'll just wait for the long oppressed inner city ghetto poor to rise up and kill their wealthier urban neighbors, allowing the remaining suburban and rural populations to go about their lives in peace and harmony.

Yeh, sure. But how's the rent check gonna get from the inner city to the suburbs? People depend on those checks, you know.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pot is legal here, so no. What I want is for the president and most of congress to secede and go create another country to destroy.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
most states would be better off returning to territory status. Reclaim lost sovereignty and get rid of federal interference.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
People born in chains apparently do not recognize their slavery. They believe this slavery empowers them, provides for them, nurtures them. Is that what Obamacare did for you? The NSA, TSA, the Patriot Act?

Are you all so stupid as to love those things? The whips of your master.

I am for State's Rights, and failing that the dissolution of our Union. I am for the breaking of chains and the rights of Liberty and Freedom, the rights to forge your own path untethered by needless sycophants in Washington DC.

I am for you to be slaves no more. Vote yes, and find freedom as your forefathers did.
You cannot force people to value freedom. We would only be trading one giant omnipowerful overlord for a smaller, poorer overlord.

Much as I dislike Obama's fundamental transformation of our nation, our entitlement society is the biggest problem. Secession would not change that, only produce a lot of irritable mewling as sheeple were forced to change teats.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Sure, I would love for Tijuana North (once known as California) to secede from Mexico and return to being part of the United States.