Do you want to change the color scheme to improve performance

dc9mm3

Dec 14, 2000
Built new PC I7 6800K Samsung 8550 EVO drive 32 gig DDR4 ram Video card is older but Geforce GT 730. motherboard MSI x99a carbon pro. Win 7 64 bit Pro. System is running great BUT then after a while I get this message box pop up saying

"Do you want to change the color scheme to improve performance" wants me to switch from Aero to basic.

Now when this happens the performance seems to drop way way off. If I try and run say Real Flight a flight sim for RC aircraft the frame rate drops so low its not usable Video playback sucks real bad, (normally getting 150 to 200 FPS in Real Flight). Its like my system just turned into a 486 PC. Reboot fixes problem. BUT whats going on? I use Open Hardware Monitor to check CPU and GPU but nothing seems off. CPU 40C GPU 36C 744 mb free ram out of 1024 for video card . CPU load is very low on all 6 cores BUT performance is really bad. I have lateste Nvidia drives for vid card. Motherboard has latest bios.

I was thinking video card problem but the Hardware Monitor doesn't see any problem. The video card is from old PC I just rebuilt but ran fine on old PC which was a Q6600 quad core.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, Aero is handled by your GPU and Basic is handled by your CPU. Why handling basic would bother your 6800K, I don't know. But I'd leave Aero on.

dc9mm3

Dec 14, 2000
Well, Aero is handled by your GPU and Basic is handled by your CPU. Why handling basic would bother your 6800K, I don't know. But I'd leave Aero on.
Well if aero is handled by GPU then iam betting I have an issue with the video card. Maybe doesn't like new PC?? Funny thing motherboard is MSI and so is the Geforce GT 730.

Now my old system ran fine with basically same software across the board just slower BUT never had this issue with box popping up saying PC is running slow and to switch to basic screen,, NEVER. It only had a old Q6600 quad core same video card and 8 gig of ram. This new build is MUCH more powerful.

I of course already did a google search but only came up on how to disable this warning box. I want to know WHY its coming up, what is causing this slow down.

Further testing showed something really weird. When I got this warning again I was on the web nothing to intense for PC. I then opened Real Flight and it again looked like SUPER slow frame rate BUT here is the weird part. The Frame rate counter said it was well over 100 fps BUT it looked like maybe 10 fps (frame Per Second) . So why does frame counter show high frame rate yet it looks super slow. Plus if I try and play a HD video after this warning it looks like crap, starts freezing and distorted. If I reboot all is fixed. I know the frame counter in Real Flight is accurate because when I had my old PC and first got Real Flight G5.5 it had a slow frame rate about 30fps and I upgraded video card which got fps to over 80 fps.

I really don't want to spend another say 180 for a better video card only for this to still happen. If I NEW for sure it was video card problem then I would just spend the money and get a new video card.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The warning is likely just Win7 not recognizing your cpu and gpu power.

Maybe run that Win7 experience index test?

dc9mm3

Dec 14, 2000
The warning is likely just Win7 not recognizing your cpu and gpu power.

Maybe run that Win7 experience index test?

I will run the test then wait till I get the pop up warning and rerun the test to see if there is a difference. BUT clearly something performance wise is dropping way off and thats why I get the pop warning in the first place. If I new which part was causing the problem then I could fix it. Iam hoping its just the old video card. Its still under the three year warranty. Video card is only about 1.5 years old.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I then opened Real Flight and it again looked like SUPER slow frame rate BUT here is the weird part. The Frame rate counter said it was well over 100 fps BUT it looked like maybe 10 fps (frame Per Second) . So why does frame counter show high frame rate yet it looks super slow. Plus if I try and play a HD video after this warning it looks like crap, starts freezing and distorted.

Sounds like you have an overheating video card.

dc9mm3

Dec 14, 2000
Yes I think I will just get a new Video card and hope that solves my problem. Thanks for the replies.