Do you want a continuing resolution passed?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I don't, but the vast majority of Republicans (not just leadership, but even Dr. Fleming) aren't willing to allow the govt to shut down.

I just don't see how it could hurt the Republicans politically to not pass a Continuing Res considering how unpopular Pelosicare is. Not passing a CR is the only way they can defund Pelosicare.

If anything, passing the CR would hurt them because it would show that they lied when they said they wanted Pelosicare repealed.

If ACA is funded, then the Republicans should get 100% of the blame, not the Democrats.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The fight will be over the debt limit. The defund movement is retarded its another variation of the umpteen repeal votes the house has had. Instead of spending time trying to find ways to improve access to health care we have had years of adults acting like spoiled brats.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The fight will be over the debt limit.
I hope you're not right, but you probably are.
Instead of spending time trying to find ways to improve access to health care we have had years of adults acting like spoiled brats.
Obama is the one that's been spoiled by the Republican leadership... they've given him everything he wanted.
The defund movement is retarded its another variation of the umpteen repeal votes the house has had
It's actually not retarded. Boehner and Cantor don't want it repealed and they never did. From Campaign for Liberty:
Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor want you to think they're listening to the grassroots, so they're planning to allow the House to vote to defund ObamaCare next week, and then vote separately on a CR. . .

Then, both bills will go to the Senate, where Harry Reid will make sure the bill defunding ObamaCare gets defeated and the big-spending CR gets passed.

And under the House leadership's proposals, once the CR passes the Senate, it can go straight to the President for his signature!
This is the last chance the Republicans have to stop Pelosicare, but it looks like they aren't going to.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
For heaven's sake, Obamacare was passed into law and then upheld by the SCOTUS. Republicans need to move on.

Frankly, I DO hope they're inability to pass a budget shuts down the government. It will be horrible for the short term, but it will totally discredit the Republican party.

Republicans have become a party of whiners that can't accept that they've lost and will continue to lose.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
As a former Republican, now Libertarian, no - I don't want to see a continuing resolution passed; if that means the government shuts down, then it shuts down. We don't pay these representatives to pass the buck, we pay them to represent us and solve problems.

The establishment Republicans are a big source of problems and need to be booted out for the benefit of everyone.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
And while I don't support ObamaCare(or whatever they're calling it these days), I also think trying to defund it is the wrong way of dealing with the issue. Laws can be overturned, there are processes in place for doing that, so follow the rules, make the case and overturn it already! Trying to do otherwise is no different from a judge legislating from the bench, as it were.

The debt needs to be dealt with - period. If the President wants to draw a red line then I say draw it here - this much debt and no more. Of course I don't think the President is interested in doing that, so the House needs to grow some stones (or the equivalent) and draw the line themselves!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The last election cycle was fairly indicative of what the citizens of our nation wanted in the way of how they were being represented. Well, jerrymandering aside, of course.

For that reason alone, I'd like to see the Repubs force a shutdown of the gov't and then see how that action influences the '14 elections. If past history is any indication, the Repubs will just dig the hole they now find themselves in a whole lot deeper and further alienate themselves from the moderates in their midst whose votes it seems, they are more than willing to sacrifice for "the cause".

I guess pain is addictive in some ways. And it's sorta like those folks who press the accelerator by mistake, then panic and slam that go pedal clean through the firewall.

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
And while I don't support ObamaCare(or whatever they're calling it these days), I also think trying to defund it is the wrong way of dealing with the issue. Laws can be overturned, there are processes in place for doing that, so follow the rules, make the case and overturn it already! Trying to do otherwise is no different from a judge legislating from the bench, as it were.

The debt needs to be dealt with - period. If the President wants to draw a red line then I say draw it here - this much debt and no more. Of course I don't think the President is interested in doing that, so the House needs to grow some stones (or the equivalent) and draw the line themselves!

Well said.

People overwhelming supported health care reform, and they got it.

Now what they got may not be the best thing ever, but the end result was via a democratic process following the rules of how our government works.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Do we have any choice?

It will not matter because no one is cutting any taxes. It is all smoke and mirrors. I don't want to see some stupid bill that says we will cut taxes 10 years from now. That is all lies and bull puckey. I think what we need is a more realistic approach and limit deductions as you make more money. For instance over 100k cut deductions to 50% or set a limit for total deductions. Then at 200k set the rate to like 25% and at over 300k no deductions at all.

Need a similar plan for business expenses and corporate taxes but with higher limits.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Federal Govt is drunk on out tax money. It is time to fire people and reduce their pay across the board.

If lawmakers will not reduce spending lets start by reducing their pay. Make half of their pay dependent on balancing the budget! I would not mind giving them a big fat tax free bonus if they produce a balanced budget.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
If anything, passing the CR would hurt them because it would show that they lied when they said they wanted Pelosicare repealed.

If ACA is funded, then the Republicans should get 100% of the blame, not the Democrats.

Looks to me like the Repubs are self destructing over this.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The fight will be over the debt limit. The defund movement is retarded its another variation of the umpteen repeal votes the house has had. Instead of spending time trying to find ways to improve access to health care we have had years of adults acting like spoiled brats.

There's only been 3 actual repeal votes. Once each years (2011, 2012 and 2013).

The vast majority were little 'fixes' here-n-there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...03e0330-ed95-11e2-9008-61e94a7ea20d_blog.html

Fern

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yes, the United States needs to pay the bills it has already racked up. Otherwise you're just a dead beat.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
As opposed to a government shutdown? Sure. I rather enjoy getting paid.

Best case I'd like to see an actual budget, although I doubt congress-critters would adhere to one.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
No one has health care reform yet.
Again, when you reform a broken system, you just wind up with the same broken system in a form that psychologically appears different even though it's just the status quo. Reform has always been the Status Quo. To illustrate my point... what good did the tax reform act of 1986 (or whenever the hell it was) do?

Anyway, the truth is that legislation hasn't been repealed like it should be since Thomas Jefferson was President and even then there wasn't enough repeal.

I demand that the Republicans cease their shitty harmful reform-style attacks and that they start repealing.

And if they respond to the people like Alucard did to Death, then we're going to be killed by the True Blue Monarchist State's Curse of Darkness.

Put another way that no one will find quite as stupid as the above... no one will ever be free as long as reform, reform, reform is on the public's mind.

Last edited: