do you use an IM program for work?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
At my old job it was the Office Communicator.

I tried to stay away from it though. I always thought IT had nothing better to do than keep track of who's saying what.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
anyone in IT confirm they can / have read others' chats? I know it runs through the server but is there an option for an admin to archive everything? I know we can do it at the local client.

Last edited:

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Office Communicator here. Our IT budget and staff have been cut so much I doubt they would have time to read any chats. It was funny though as about a year ago a bunch of memo's went around saying it was against the rules to record IM conversations. Seems we don't want our "productive chatting" causing the company any additional liability.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
anyone in IT confirm they can / have read others' chats? I know it runs through the server but is there an option for an admin to archive everything? I know we can do it at the local client.

It's definitely possible. We have everything logged. Of course, all of our logs are public record because we are a government institution. Nonetheless, our employees think that email is safer from prying eyes (read: my coworkers and me, in IT), even though they're subject to the exact same records/retention laws. Sigh.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Yes.

All of them I think.

MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Jabber (for in house IM)

I mostly use AIM though for IM'ing people I work with.

nobody554

Jan 21, 2006
Office Communicator, and yes ... it's all logged on the server even though no one will ever read through them.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Office Communicator here as well. And before that came along, Jabber.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
some variation of GAIM I think? Jabber server setup at one of the other offices that we all connect to.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Windows Live Messenger
Office Communicator
Ventrilo

We used to use SameTime before that was replaced in favor of Communicator.