Do you use a 32gb memory card for your phone?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
No, I'll wait until they come down. I always stay a step behind. Paying 4x as much for 2x the storage is to rich for my blood.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
The uSD format is always going to be 2X or more the price of similar capacity SD cards and that's why I think the larger phones, with room for a full sized SD card, would be better off with the larger card. The Evo I have will only handle 32GB max and if I had an option I'd want more than that. I have 16GB of music alone and video is hugely data intensive so having even a few hours of good quality video will eat up GB's.

Going forward I think a new card format is in order to bridge the gap between uSD and SD AND, the phone makers have to adopt it.

Brian

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I can't... Apple product :(

But I wouldn't if I could. They're too expensive right now.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope.
Droid comes with a 16gig and frankly thats ridiculously excessive compared to the battery. If I were to put a bunch of 700meg movies on it, the thing would need about 10 recharges just to get through all of them.
For music, thats an insane amount of space.
And you cant store most apps to the expansion card, so thats it. No other uses I can think of. Except maybe uncompressed video, and the camera isnt that hot so I wouldnt bother with that, either.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
16GB is plenty? Please, I have 16GB of music alone so a 16GB card would be filled before I put any pictures, apps, video or data on it.

It's just a phone? Please, it's a smart phone and you can do things beyond talking!

Come on folks, this is the 21st century and phones are for more than talking now a-days...

If I could put 128GB in my phone I would -- and I'd use it!

Brian

Oct 9, 1999
16GB is plenty? Please, I have 16GB of music alone so a 16GB card would be filled before I put any pictures, apps, video or data on it.

It's just a phone? Please, it's a smart phone and you can do things beyond talking!

Come on folks, this is the 21st century and phones are for more than talking now a-days...

If I could put 128GB in my phone I would -- and I'd use it!

Brian

why would you need more than 16gb of music with you all the time? i have 60gb of music on my desktop and maybe 182 songs on my phone.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
why would you need more than 16gb of music with you all the time? i have 60gb of music on my desktop and maybe 182 songs on my phone.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I don't understand why people need to tote their whole 40GB+ music collection with them 24/7. With the many options of streaming music available I just don't get it. For me it's video. I have a lot of downtime, plus traveling with the kids I can use more room for video.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I've wondered the same thing myself. I don't understand why people need to tote their whole 40GB+ music collection with them 24/7. With the many options of streaming music available I just don't get it. For me it's video. I have a lot of downtime, plus traveling with the kids I can use more room for video.

its an e-peener thing.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I have an 8GB iPhone that I use as an iPod for work, have >800 songs on it, don't know that I really need more storage...

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
its an e-peener thing.

Ehh people think what they want but I have tons of music filled up on my phone. One day I might want smooth jams or the next be in headbanger mode or during the weekend hip-hop for the ladies in addition to movies.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Ehh people think what they want but I have tons of music filled up on my phone. One day I might want smooth jams or the next be in headbanger mode or during the weekend hip-hop for the ladies in addition to movies.

I'm not saying it can't be used...just saying that its more for bragging rights.

And you and multiple ladies listen to music on your cell phone at the same time?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I have about 200 gb of music on my computer. The size of the songs I actually listen to now, about 20-25 GB.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006

Oh I don't know, so they can plug it into their car and listen to their music over the stereo? Or listen to it at work without using a streaming service like subsonic (which while simple, is more of a pain than just an SD card, and is subject to cell service, AND uses a lot towards the common 5gb cap)? Or listen to locally stored music while using mobile internet without either waiting for music to buffer or causing mobile internet to crawl? Or plug it into the stereo at a party/whatever and play something?

Sure, all of that could be done with an MP3 player as well, but then you have to carry around 2 devices, and the cost of a 32GB mp3 player is surely going to be more than the cost of a 32GB uSD card

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Not right now. But when they drop to under $50 I might.
Unless by then we all have cell phone chips planted in our brains.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

I don't waste my bandwidth, and yours, on streaming! Why should I have to? If I have the music I want to listen to on my phone why should I be expected to shuffle some on and off to keep the storage below some value YOU think is appropriate. I'd rather not do that work and even if I did sure-as-sh*t I'd want to music I just offloaded to make room for something else.

Look, it's MY choice so you can do as you wish.

So, let me repeat, if I could put 128GB of storage on my phone I would. If I look some years down the road the same guys now claiming 8GB is all you could ever need will wonder why the phone makers are not hurrying up with the 1TB storage options. There are periods when people say stupid things like: you're never going to need a HD with more than 20GB, or why would you need more than 512MB or RAM, or what are you going to do with a 64bit uP.

Time marches on folks -- get with the program!

Brian

Oct 9, 1999
I don't waste my bandwidth, and yours, on streaming! Why should I have to? If I have the music I want to listen to on my phone why should I be expected to shuffle some on and off to keep the storage below some value YOU think is appropriate. I'd rather not do that work and even if I did sure-as-sh*t I'd want to music I just offloaded to make room for something else.

Look, it's MY choice so you can do as you wish.

So, let me repeat, if I could put 128GB of storage on my phone I would. If I look some years down the road the same guys now claiming 8GB is all you could ever need will wonder why the phone makers are not hurrying up with the 1TB storage options. There are periods when people say stupid things like: you're never going to need a HD with more than 20GB, or why would you need more than 512MB or RAM, or what are you going to do with a 64bit uP.

Time marches on folks -- get with the program!

Brian

e-peen0r ++

Oct 9, 1999
not really, its a being able to listen to whatever i want whenever i want thing

giving him a hard time. i only have 182 songs on my phone and every one of them are good songs that'll always satisfy me or any one listening to it. to each their own. no one needs 100gb of music with them. that's crazy! then again, this is anandtech:thumbsup:

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I have a 32GB card in my Droid X that I only bought because I was able to get it for $50 from Verizon. All the music I listen to is stored on my home server and I use Subsonic to play it from my phone.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
e-peen0r ++

Well congratulations -- you learned a new online insult! Perhaps I should call you an id-10t...

Now, do you think 8GB is all you'll ever want on a phone? Do tell so we can have your statement on record.

Look, if 8GB is all you want or need fine, I want more and have stated my reasons for it.

Brian