Do you trust the people at GNC?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I want to get some suppliments for muscle gain / fat loss to take with my cardio and weight workouts... I just dont trust all of that crap they sell, especially cause of the marketing... I dont think its safe.... I also think the salespeople are kinda shady..... what do you think?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Don't trust GNC. Their stuff doesn't work as well as other brands. The people that work there aren't experts ... I mean, I had a high school kid tell me what I needed and what I didn't need.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I don't go to GNC for anything. If you're concerned, why not try researching it on Google or something? Does the FDA website have anything to say about the supplements you're interested in? I'd be more inclined to trust that than a salesperson who probably knows dick about the stuff they're selling.

Apr 5, 2000
Your first mistake is going to GNC for supplements. Your second mistake is thinking they know what they're talking about. Most of the people who work at the ones I go to are pimply faced dorks or fat chicks.

Eat right and train right. Other than protein shakes there really is no long term studies to prove/disprove any supplement's long term effects on the human body.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
I want to get some suppliments for muscle gain / fat loss to take with my cardio and weight workouts... I just dont trust all of that crap they sell, especially cause of the marketing... I dont think its safe.... I also think the salespeople are kinda shady..... what do you think?
Most suppliments rarely work as advertised and you can achieve the same results by having a good diet and a smart workout regimen.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As with ANY store selling supplements the vast majority of the stuff on their shelves is total junk. Stick with the knowns like whey protein and creatine and leave the rest for people who don't mind wasting their money.

I wouldn't take anything more from a GNC employee (or any supplement store employee) than a recommendation and I'd later follow up on what they are talking about on the net.

I did that with the new NO2 supplement. The guy was telling me it was great yada yada and I checked some message boards and the consensus was that it's a waste of money. Use bodybuilding websites/message boards to determine what works and then use gNC to buy your stuff.

Of course ONLY buy from GNC if you have a gold card and it's the first week of the month. That's the only time their prices are competitive (sometimes still more expensive than other stores). Never ever consider buying from them during the other 3 weeks of the month. Ever. You'll pay out your ass.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I never believe anything the folks at GNC have to say. They are only interested in selling you stuff.

However, you can get great deals on stuff there if you Join their Gold Club and shop the first week of each month.

As for suppliments that work... Red Dawn is mostly right. Most of them don't work.

The three suppliments I use that I know work are:

Whey protein powder
Creatine
L-Glutamine

Most of the other stuff is snake oil with the exception of Glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.

And, of course, a good multivite.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge
The last one I walked into was selling "The Hollywood 24 hour diet" That tell you anything?

So do most health stores. I've never seen a suppliment store that didn't push 90% snake oil. The key is to know what you want and need BEFORE you go there.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
A pharmacy - somewhere you'd expect to promote health in some fashion - is also the place I see a lot of those hollywood 24 hour diet drinks as well.

Some of the fat loss supplements do work as well but, accurate or not, many have health concerns about these things. And even if a ECA fat loss supplement is not very likely to make you die it almost surely can't be GOOD for you. Just suck some back and feel your heart pump and you'll know what I mean.

Never bother with supplements until your routines and diet are already in place. Almost invariably somebody who relies on supplements or drugs or whatever to patch up a weak approach to excercise is going to find that if they should remove that patch from it the dam bursts. Don't waste a penny until you're working out properly and eating properly.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
I never believe anything the folks at GNC have to say. They are only interested in selling you stuff.

However, you can get great deals on stuff there if you Join their Gold Club and shop the first week of each month.

As for suppliments that work... Red Dawn is mostly right. Most of them don't work.

The three suppliments I use that I know work are:

Whey protein powder
Creatine
L-Glutamine

Most of the other stuff is snake oil with the exception of Glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.

And, of course, a good multivite.
Edited my earlier post because you are correct!

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I been taking the GNC mega gold pills for 3 years now and havent had a major illness in those 3 years...so i think there stuff works :D I never listen to the people though....just look at the containers and see whats in them...the only reason i stick to the GNC brand is cause the quality fo the pill when opened up is just so much better than generics out there...

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
what about just for general multivitamin stuff and fish oil supplements.... my brother needs the fish oil stuff and my mom go suckered into their club thing.... and i need some multivitamins :p

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
in addition to whats been said, most of the time they will whore out the GNC labelled products over everything else. They will gladly tell you stories about how their stuff is pharmacy grade or whatever. I quit going there because they pushed GNC products so much and talked down about everything else, they are VERY biased.