Do you tip your dog groomer? How much?

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Our dog groomer works in the vet office. We get our 2 Miniature Schnauzers groomed 3 or 4 times a year at $35 each. The wife said she got a bad vibe from the groomer and wondered if we are supposed to tip her. Damn bill was $260 by the time we payed for shots/fecals/heartworm/frontline/groomer. The groomer does a great job, but $70 seems like plenty of money to groom and bathe 2 dogs, granted that Schnauzer haircuts are somewhat complicated.

Cast your vote, should we start tipping the groomer, and if so, how much?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
bah... i wish i would get a tip (or even any money at all). takes me over an hour to brush the damn thing (keeshond)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
umm, if take your dog to a dog groomer... is money even an issue?

We've had many dogs and never taken them to the groomer.... I understand that it would be a little work to learn how to groom specialty hair dogs, but I guess I dont see why you wouldnt do it yourself unless money isnt an issue.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
$35 for each dog, how long does it take to wash a dog and cut it's hair?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: doze

i was married to a groomer

it depends on how well the owner took care of it, and what kind of dog it was. they charged base prices for various dogs by the type of coat/size, and upcharged if it was in awful condition and took alot of extra time to clean.

if it was something with a thick coat that the owner never brushed and allowed it to get matted, they may spend 2 or 3 hours on it, whereas if it was cared for at home, it would be done in around an hour.

they got 5 or 6 tips a week usually, most of them 3-5 bucks, occassionally 10.

and purebreds that have specific cuts can take a while as well. it takes longer to groom a yorkshire terrier or poodles when they require a specific cut than it does to just trim or shave a dog that doesnt. but again, where she worked that was figured into the price. certain cuts and certain coats cost a price according to the effort and time required.

cbeavers

Feb 8, 2003
I just took our German Shepherd and got him groomed. I paid 25.00 and tipped the girl 5 bucks. She is my stepdaughter though. I probably wouldn't have if she was not my step-daughter.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Fred is wash and wear and only costs me $20 for his monthly grooming.

Why should I tip the groomer?

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dxkj
umm, if take your dog to a dog groomer... is money even an issue?

We've had many dogs and never taken them to the groomer.... I understand that it would be a little work to learn how to groom specialty hair dogs, but I guess I dont see why you wouldnt do it yourself unless money isnt an issue.

It has nothing to do with how much money I have, I'm just not careless with my money. Have you seen a schnauzer's hair cut? It's not the easiest think in the world, and I couldn't do that good of a job.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: doze

i was married to a groomer

it depends on how well the owner took care of it, and what kind of dog it was. they charged base prices for various dogs by the type of coat/size, and upcharged if it was in awful condition and took alot of extra time to clean.

if it was something with a thick coat that the owner never brushed and allowed it to get matted, they may spend 2 or 3 hours on it, whereas if it was cared for at home, it would be done in around an hour.

they got 5 or 6 tips a week usually, most of them 3-5 bucks, occassionally 10.

and purebreds that have specific cuts can take a while as well. it takes longer to groom a yorkshire terrier or poodles when they require a specific cut than it does to just trim or shave a dog that doesnt. but again, where she worked that was figured into the price. certain cuts and certain coats cost a price according to the effort and time required.

I take care of my dogs' coats. I brush them once a week and make sure it's not matted when I take them in. I also clip their nails once or twice a month.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: aeroguy

It has nothing to do with how much money I have, I'm just not careless with my money. Have you seen a schnauzer's hair cut? It's not the easiest think in the world, and I couldn't do that good of a job.

Having a dog that you pay someone to groom every so often is, IMHO, being careless with your money.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
All this tipping everyone for doing what their paid for is outta control.