Do you tip if there's a "Delivery Surcharge" ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
I never order from places that have a surcharge.. But if I did, the tip would be extremely small. I'd tell them to their face that their tip would be bigger but since they charged me just for the delivery, that their tip is smaller than it would be.

i did that when the chinese place started doing that. i asked the driver what the extra fee wass, he said "delivery charge". i told him he needs to ask them for the fee, his tip was affected by it. i also asked the owners (i know them fairly well) and told them i tip less now that they are charging more for delivery. i pick my food up all the time now instead of having it delivered.

i used to deliver chinese food, we had a $1 delivery fee that the owner said would be my tip in case i didnt get tipped. i never saw a penny of it, despite getting stiffed for tips all the time. i delivered mainly to the ASU dorms and around the college, apparently college kids dont tip. it was usually worth it tho, lots of coed parties i delivered to were fun.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: chalmers
destrekor is right. What's the difference between a small charge of delivery so you can sit on your fat ass while someone brings you food, and companies charging shipping costs for items? Don't like it...don't order delivery.

difference is, i dont tip amazon after paying a shipping cost.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
What I find funny is when I delivered pizza from a place that advertised "free delivery" people used that as an excuse not to tip. They would say, "Oh, it said free delivery so I assumed that meant no tip."

What it comes down to is that everyone who doesn't want to tip will make excuses as to why they aren't tipping.

The delivery fee is there to pay the delivery drivers wages. This way they don't have to raise prices for everyone (even those who don't use the delivery service) to compensate for having to pay drivers to deliver pizzas. I have never seen an pizza place who treated it differently.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: guyver01
Chinese Takeout place near me charges $3.00 delivery surcharge for all deliveries.
They limit their delivery radius to 10 miles, which i guess is to not cost alot in gas..

but whenever i have them deliver... i never tip.
Their food is freaking awesome, or i'd order from somewhere else.

But... do you tip if there's a "penalty" for delivery??

Hells no, if it's $2-3 bucks, I'll give them like 50 cents on my card tops.

Also "driver's don't get that money" argument is of no consequence to me - I'm already paying for the service of delivery and the fact that you didn't negotiate your compensation properly is your problem.

RoloMather

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2008
$3 is a lot. I order from places that are $1.50 and below. My favorite Chinese place is free delivery and I tip the guy $2.50 (15%) every time.

I tip because it sucks not to get tipped as a delivery driver.

All of you who don't tip delivery drivers are cheapskates.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Hells no, if it's $2-3 bucks, I'll give them like 50 cents on my card tops.

Also "driver's don't get that money" argument is of no consequence to me - I'm already paying for the service of delivery and the fact that you didn't negotiate your compensation properly is your problem.

More like if you can't afford to tip someone who's salary is based on the fact that they will get tips, then you shouldn't be using their services. i.e. If you can't afford to tip delivery people and restaurant servers, then pick the food up your own cheap self! Nobody forces you to get these services, and if you won't pay for them, then you shouldn't get them.

Now when it comes to tipping for stupid things like the tip jar at Starbucks, then that's completely different. Their wages are based on 0 tips, and therefore I do not tip them.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
papa john's online order have driving surcharge and additional space for tip.

so yeah, i tip.

the chinese place by me gives me FREE stuff everytime. they are behind my house like 4 blocks, so usually (99%) i just go pick it up and save on tips, they don't charge me any surcharge.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
My tipping philosophy is pretty simple. If someone waits on me or delivers food to me then I tip them. If I call it in or walk in, order it at the counter and pick it and take it out or to a table to eat I feel free to ignore the tip jar if one is sitting there.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
More like if you can't afford to tip someone who's salary is based on the fact that they will get tips, then you shouldn't be using their services. i.e. If you can't afford to tip delivery people and restaurant servers, then pick the food up your own cheap self! Nobody forces you to get these services, and if you won't pay for them, then you shouldn't get them.

Now when it comes to tipping for stupid things like the tip jar at Starbucks, then that's completely different. Their wages are based on 0 tips, and therefore I do not tip them.

I somewhat agree. If you can afford to order delivered food, you can afford to tip. I get the "but there's a delivery charge" yea, the restaurants want money for this service and it sucks, but the drivers still should get a couple of bucks thrown their way. It isn't that different from a sit down restaurant.

Also : Starbucks and coffee places - It's worth it to tip if you go often. You don't even need to be big tipper, but if they see that you tip them pretty regularly they'll appreciate it. And that appreciation can manifest itself in free drinks, pastries, etc.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I pay $5 for delivery. If there is a surcharge that comes out of the $5.

If the delivery charge is over $2 I would ask how much the driver gets. If it is less than 75% of the charge I'd probably not order there, as it means I'm either screwing over the driver or paying too much for deliver (more than $5).

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
oh wow, a tipping thread... let's see... next up:

- I'm going to Vegas, what to do?
- I'm getting my wisdom teeth out
- Calling ATOT doctors
- Is ____ down for anyone else?
- Ebay sucks
- UPS blows

Lookin forward to them all!

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Delivery charges are bull. They should charge me $2 less for not taking up a table at their restaurant.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Delivery surcharge is to cover the cost of insurance for the drivers (they need insurance to cover them since the normal coverage on the driver's car doesn't cover commercial use), and the added cost of paying a delivery driver. If a place doesn't charge a delivery fee they are ripping off the people who carry out a pizza as that cost is factored into the cost of the pizza.

Bottom line if you want a service you have to pay for it, and if you want good service consistently you will need to tip.