Do you tip if there's a "Delivery Surcharge" ?

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Chinese Takeout place near me charges $3.00 delivery surcharge for all deliveries.
They limit their delivery radius to 10 miles, which i guess is to not cost alot in gas..

but whenever i have them deliver... i never tip.
Their food is freaking awesome, or i'd order from somewhere else.

But... do you tip if there's a "penalty" for delivery??

Dasm nefs!

ATOT Moderator ElFenix

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I would ask if the delivery surcharge includes a tip. This might prevent the addition of saliva to your food on the next "delivery". :laugh:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: guyver01
Chinese Takeout place near me charges $3.00 delivery surcharge for all deliveries.
They limit their delivery radius to 10 miles, which i guess is to not cost alot in gas..

but whenever i have them deliver... i never tip.
Their food is freaking awesome, or i'd order from somewhere else.

But... do you tip if there's a "penalty" for delivery??

Now, you know what boogers and piss taste like.

When I delivered food in college, we used to write next to the order phone all of the addresses that didn't tip. We would fight over not having to deliver that order. I never did but I'm sure some drivers tainted the food prior to delivery.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

doubtful..

99% of the time, i go into the place and order and wait for it. I live about 8 miles from them, so it's no trouble going there.

You can watch them cooking it the whole time.

The only time i order is if i'm running late for work and need to have something ready quick.

They are usually pretty fast.. from when i order to when they deliver... 15min usually.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Sadly yes. I stopped tipping due to the delivery surcharge and started getting very slow deliveries. Now I tip $2 and my order gets here within 10 minutes of leaving the pizza place.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I work room service and there is a delivery surcharge of $2.00. I don't get any of that, that goes to the resort. Are you sure that the driver is getting the charge and not the company?

At least there is also 18% added on that I do get. You know what sucks about both of those, you get taxed on them!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
yes. I've found it makes a difference in how fast my food gets to me (ie: whether I'm the driver's first stop or last stop).

I work really close to where I live, so I'm always calling the same couple places for delivery and just about all of the drivers know me.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: illusion88
Are you sure that the driver is getting the charge and not the company?

i'm pretty sure the company gets it and not the drivers.

i figure if enough people don't tip due to delivery surcharges, places would lose drivers and they'd have to cut back on delivery surcharges.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004

i figure if enough people don't tip due to delivery surcharges, places would lose drivers and they'd have to cut back on delivery surcharges.

You're retarded.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Just because they charge a "surcharge" doesn't mean the driver gets it. When I worked as a driver in undergrad (about 2 years ago), all the delivery places added "Charges" because one place did and no one noticed. Most places said it was to cover online ordering and so on.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Just to give you a for example. I made an hourly wage + whatever tips I earned + 5% of whatever I delivered (this included the delivery fee). We charged $2.00 for delivery, so I got 10 cents of that delivery fee.

I worked at by far one of the fairest places. Mostly because the guy who owned worked as a delivery driver his whole life for his parents and they didn't pay him dick. So he knew how much it sucks to live off of tips. He was also ridiculous and first generation greek immigrant.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I used to tip about $3 for pizza delivery and now Papa John's charges a $2 delivery fee so I tip $1. Why the driver does NOT get the whole charge is beyond me. Why else do you employ delivery drivers and underpay them then?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
oh look, I will post another "I know I should be tipping, but I will post that I don't" thread.

There is no penalty for delivery....it's a service charge. The driver is outside that service charge.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I never order from places that have a surcharge.. But if I did, the tip would be extremely small. I'd tell them to their face that their tip would be bigger but since they charged me just for the delivery, that their tip is smaller than it would be.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Ever since the surcharges have become the norm, I've stopped ordering pizza. After tax, tip, and the surcharge, a large pizza was getting close to $20 which is too much IMO. Now we pick up a Digiorno pizza for $5 and catch up on Fringe and The Office on Fridays.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003

doubtful..

99% of the time, i go into the place and order and wait for it. I live about 8 miles from them, so it's no trouble going there.

The only time i order is if i'm running late for work and need to have something ready quick.

They are usually pretty fast.. from when i order to when they deliver... 15min usually.

8 miles? WTF. I have like 5 chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of me in any direction. The ghetto has some benefits I guess.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: amdhunter

doubtful..

8 miles? WTF. I have like 5 chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of me in any direction. The ghetto has some benefits I guess.

I used to have some pretty good chinese restaurants by me when I lived in a shitty area too. The best one was called The Golden Retriever. Damn that place was good.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

that's an ideal world you're describing.
I for one want to welcome you to the real world.

Not tipping is screwing over the drivers. Everywhere has a delivery surcharge, and want to know why? Increased cost of operations to maintain delivery service. It's not just another profit technique. Though more profit does come from the surcharge and the charge could be lower, in general it is paying for an increased cost in gas. There was no delivery charge when gas was below $1.50, because it didn't cost a company much from their normal profits to pay for gas based on mileage. Now that cost has come up, and there are two options. Increase delivery surcharge, or price of food. Delivery surcharge only effects those who request delivery, price of food effects everyone.

Not tipping, regardless, is screwing over the person who is putting his vehicle on the line with all the extra mileage added through delivery.

Again, to compensate for lack of tipping a company can pay better wages to the delivery employees, but that implies a necessary cutback somewhere, or increasing price of food. Which would screw over people who do not order delivery.

In a market where better pizza deals are winning over customers rather than tastier, pricier pizza, they have no room to budge except by adding a delivery surcharge.
Don't order delivery if you don't want that surcharge. It's cheaper if you go pick it up. Or, pay for convenience.

I honestly do not know why delivery surcharges didn't exist even when gas was cheap. It automatically meant taking a cut from the profit to pay for gas in addition to hourly wage.
Some places did have delivery fees, and a major selling point for advertising was free delivery. But actually stumbling upon a place that charged for delivery took a lot of work or bad luck.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
destrekor is right. What's the difference between a small charge of delivery so you can sit on your fat ass while someone brings you food, and companies charging shipping costs for items? Don't like it...don't order delivery.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I just round up the check, b/c the place I order from has a 3 buck delivery charge. Oh well if it was xx.99

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I work room service and there is a delivery surcharge of $2.00. I don't get any of that, that goes to the resort. Are you sure that the driver is getting the charge and not the company?

At least there is also 18% added on that I do get. You know what sucks about both of those, you get taxed on them!

meh. if im tipping, even if i pay with debit, i *always* tip with cash so the person can just pocket it or whatever.

a $3 surcharge is nuts, and i wouldnt order there for delivery unless the driver gets a piece of that. even the pizza places here just charge an extra buck (last i checked) for a delivery charge.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Delivery surcharges are bull. They're usually extra profit for the restaurant and are never seen by the delivery person. I tip regardless of the surcharge, but I don't think I'd have food delivered from a place with more than a $1.50 surcharge. In fact, it's been years since I've had food delivered, because I hate paying $15 for a $10 meal and just pick it up myself. If I'm at home and want food, I do this crazy thing called "cooking" and pay myself the delivery surcharge and tip :p.