Do you think there is any risk of an assassination attempt if...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Back about 87-88 when Jesse Jackson was running for President, several of the southern rednecks I worked with said that if a ni**er was elected, it'd be a guarantee of an assasination attempt. Too many people still think the Presidency is a White Male job...no others need apply.

Would that hatred actually manifest itself into an attempt? I dunno, but it's certainly possible.

Even though I'm a life-long Democrat, I shudder at the thought of Hillary or Obama running for President. Seems to me to be a guaranteed Republican win.
i don't see how obama cold lose. I think that of al the republicans, the dark horse ron paul actually has one of the better shots.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: alchemize
I don't think so. Unless you wear tinfoil, every presidential assassination attempt has been by a looney. And I think the SS has gotten pretty good at protecting against looneys, no reason to believe there won't be just as many anti-obama and anti-hillary looneys as there are anti-bush looneys.

It seems hard to fathom that such a group could exist, given the size and scope of the moonbats we have to deal with now. But, sadly, you may be right.

in case you missed it, despite the ample just cause, noone has tried to kill bush yet?

Yet how many assassination attempts were there on clinton? I can think of at least 2. The clinton hatred that was going on 10 years ago is far greater and more rabid and far less justified than what you see now.

Didn't somebody throw a grenade at Bush overseas? I can't remember.

I can't see anyone who wasn't straight looneytunes taking a shot at Hilary or Obama if they were elected. If anything you would have figured somebody would have taken a shot at a Supreme Court justice for the Kelo decision by now . . . but nothing, so far as I know.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Nebor
By and large, even though we are a violent nation, we have an inherent respect for democracy (most of us.) So very, very few people see assassination as a viable option, even if the person in question is abominable to us.

What is your point?

It only takes one.

:confused:
The Secret Service can deal with one.
It cant deal with a million.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This country deserves the people it elects. There is no better cure for the disease of a wrong choice ? than the consequences of that choice.

As for plots and what not, I don?t really think it?ll be any different than it normally is.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I imagine it's pretty hard to assassinate someone who never appears in "public" except behind bulletproof glass, with an army of SS agents with snipers in every surrounding building, and inside the safety of a $1,000-per-plate-and-a-background-check dinner. And let's not forget travels on blockaded highways in a bulletproof limo with a motorcade, when going between the private jet and the locked-down hotel (with "free speech zone" conveniently down the street) for the political fundraising event, or from private jet to secure palatial estate.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I don't think so. Unless you wear tinfoil, every presidential assassination attempt has been by a looney. And I think the SS has gotten pretty good at protecting against looneys, no reason to believe there won't be just as many anti-obama and anti-hillary looneys as there are anti-bush looneys.

But odds are the anti-hillary people are far better trained and armed to pull off an assassination.

Owning a gun and knowing how to shoot it doesn't make you trained to pull off an assassination :roll: Give me a break.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
no

I think you are underestimating some of the racist feeling still alive and well in certain parts of the country. I don't think Hillary would have a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is on the hit list of some racist assholes sitting around some shithole bar drinking cheap beer and talking about how they "don't want no damn ***** being President". You know folks like that exist, and while I doubt they have the ability to DO anything (Nebor's appraisal of the commando skills of gun owners aside), I wouldn't be surprised if they were dumb enough to try. Unfortunately, stupidity and racism seem to go together pretty often.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Locut0s
either Hillary or Obama were to win the democratic primary? I don't mean this to be a flame bait thread but a serious question. Do you think this is a serious concern? We all know there are lots of right wing racist and misogynistic nut cases out there with guns, question is Do you think it's a serious security risk?

No. If anyone has a target on their head, its Ron Paul.

agreed..

Hillary and Obama are 99% for the current establishment.. Ron Paul would like to kick the establishment hard and throw away anything that crumbles.

His campaign promises...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Rainsford

But odds are the anti-hillary people are far better trained and armed to pull off an assassination.

Owning a gun and knowing how to shoot it doesn't make you trained to pull off an assassination :roll: Give me a break.

I happen to know both a career Secret Service agent and the former Marine head of White House Security. It simply isn't possible to protect someone from someone who doesn't mind dying for their cause.

One man with a deer rifle could pull it off, it's just a matter of chance. Can he get his shot off before the Secret Service spotters see him?

Ironically, such a situation would simultaneously leave no successor for Bush, and give Bush a reason to declare a state of emergency and hold onto power. Then he could start scheduling elections like Castro.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I happen to know both a career Secret Service agent and the former Marine head of White House Security. It simply isn't possible to protect someone from someone who doesn't mind dying for their cause.

One man with a deer rifle could pull it off, it's just a matter of chance. Can he get his shot off before the Secret Service spotters see him?

Ironically, such a situation would simultaneously leave no successor for Bush, and give Bush a reason to declare a state of emergency and hold onto power. Then he could start scheduling elections like Castro.

True dat.

beeing trained to be an assasin isn't a requirement. Look at John Hinkley Jr....he came closer to killing Ronnie Rayguns than we Americans were ever told...
Hinkley had ZERO military or police training, yet he got close enough to put one round into Reagan, (a ricochet off the bullet-proof limo) one into the head of advisor James Brady, one into a Secret Service agent, and yet another into a D.C cop...all with ZERO training in firearms. Imagine what a disgruntled Marine could do...like Lee Harvey Oswald...or Charles Whitman.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

Please, don't give the moonbats here any fuel. :roll:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I wasn't disputing that someone who doesn't mind dying for the cause might have a chance at assassinating a President...I'm just saying it takes a little more than being some random guy with a rifle. This is not really the place to get into a discussion of assassination methods or anything, but when it comes down to defeating the best professional bodyguards in the world, having a weapon and being able to shoot it accurately is the LEAST of your concerns.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

True dat.

beeing trained to be an assasin isn't a requirement. Look at John Hinkley Jr....he came closer to killing Ronnie Rayguns than we Americans were ever told...
Hinkley had ZERO military or police training, yet he got close enough to put one round into Reagan, (a ricochet off the bullet-proof limo) one into the head of advisor James Brady, one into a Secret Service agent, and yet another into a D.C cop...all with ZERO training in firearms. Imagine what a disgruntled Marine could do...like Lee Harvey Oswald...or Charles Whitman.

It might not be a requirement, but if it isn't...luck certainly is. If the secret service does their job right, random morons with guns don't even get a chance. Why do you like John Hinkley Jr. was news? Think about how easy it is to get a gun in this country, no matter who you are or what your background is. If every random idiot can try to assassinate the President, we should be seeing it WAY more often. But the fact is that random weirdos get unlucky more often than not...it only requires one to create the impression otherwise.

May 16, 2000
If no one's taken out Bush, the absolute worst President in the history of our country, with all of the seething hatred against him, then I don't think the others have anything to worry about. I suppose many of the far-ultra-right are so totally ignorant that they'd be incapable of dealing with the cognitive dissonance caused by watching their precious neo-con agenda crumbling around them, and could go for kill. However just as many of us currently wouldn't want to see Cheney elevated to pres it might depend on who the vice turns out to be.

Feb 24, 2001
Back about 87-88 when Jesse Jackson was running for President, several of the southern rednecks I worked with said that if a ni**er was elected, it'd be a guarantee of an assasination attempt. Too many people still think the Presidency is a White Male job...no others need apply.

Would that hatred actually manifest itself into an attempt? I dunno, but it's certainly possible.

Even though I'm a life-long Democrat, I shudder at the thought of Hillary or Obama running for President. Seems to me to be a guaranteed Republican win.

Puerto Rican Vice President and then he doesn't have to worry