Do you think the Lieberman-Brown Expatriation bill will pass?

Do you think Lieberman's expatriation bill will pass?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, and if it does the whole lot need to go against the wall be they Dem or Rep.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
AH!!! More busy work to make the public think we(politicians)are doing something.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I vote NO, time for Lieberman to pass instead. "Get along there little doggy!"

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Hopefully.

This guy swore as a condition of his citizenship to uphold the laws of America and he failed to do so.

He should be stripped of his citizenship.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
First off, the Times Square bomber was a citizen. We should all expect him to be treated as one.

Next, consider what the USA would look like if you can be stripped off your rights and privelidges as a citizen, merely on the basis of an accusation. This would be like the Lautenberg amendment, that takes your private property without due process.

Remember, how many bogus left or right “investigations” of their enemies were conducted because of the seriousness of the charges, with no shred of evidence or credibilty?

This would be a USA where you canbe detained, and once they have you, the powers that be tell you that you have no right to silence- and what else? Right to an attorney, habeas corpus, due process and protection from unreasonable search? I mean, if it’s important enough (to the government who has you) can’t they conduct a few unreasonable searches to protect the children?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Hopefully.

This guy swore as a condition of his citizenship to uphold the laws of America and he failed to do so.

He should be stripped of his citizenship.

The bill allows the stripping of American citizenship at the whim of the State Department without trial. All one has to do is be accused.

Please, never complain about Obama trampling anyone's rights ever again if you support that.

Link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/06/AR2010050605155.html?hpid=topnews

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If this passes and Obama signs it into law. The days of the Bush admins trampling of the constitution was just childs play.

I dont think it would pass the consitutional litmus test. But the fact it got passed should scare the fuck out of us.

Some idiot at the state dept gets to toss your due process and citizenship rights? Oh what am I thinking? We have an admin who is already doing that for the death penalty.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
If this gets signed into law, I'm pretty sure upon first challenge it will be found unconstitutional as it seems to me to directly violate the 14th amendment which requires due process to strip rights from citizens. And doing it without a trial doesn't sound like due process to me.

I highly doubt Obama would sign this into law. If he does however do that, I would never vote for him for re-election. Funny that people who scream that he's this super liberal think he might sign something that is super SUPER conservative.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Funny that people who scream that he's this super liberal think he might sign something that is super SUPER conservative.

Political terminology is all screwed up these days. A "super super" Conservative would decry this. Think Barry Goldwater.

These days I don't know how to define people who would support this other than right authoritarian.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If this gets signed into law, I'm pretty sure upon first challenge it will be found unconstitutional as it seems to me to directly violate the 14th amendment which requires due process to strip rights from citizens. And doing it without a trial doesn't sound like due process to me.

I highly doubt Obama would sign this into law. If he does however do that, I would never vote for him for re-election. Funny that people who scream that he's this super liberal think he might sign something that is super SUPER conservative.

Denying people rights and oppressing them is done by both left and right.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That would be awesome, would show that the Dems really did learn well from the Repubs and went way beyond. :thumbsup:

If I didnt know you to be such a horrible troll I would think you actually believe that. Tell you what Dave, when they come to yank citizens rights, be the first and lead by example.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I think Lieberman's performance in the last decade is proof that the Invasion of The Body Snatchers is true. No way the real Joe Lieberman would ever sit still for, much less propose, revocation of our American citizenship by administrative fiat by some bureaucrat. This is one truly terrifying proposal.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I think Lieberman's performance in the last decade is proof that the Invasion of The Body Snatchers is true. No way the real Joe Lieberman would ever sit still for, much less propose, revocation of our American citizenship by administrative fiat by some bureaucrat. This is one truly terrifying proposal.
What you're seeing is the remnant of Joe Lieberman after his soul was sold to Cheney.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
I hope this passes, but I don't think it will. It's an interesting bit of political comedy, and just in time for midterms!

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
I say let it pass if we can strip Lieberman of his citizenship for being a shill for the Israelis.

This has always been the real Joe Lieberman.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Fallout made an excellent post in another thread that ALL citizens, natural born and naturalized, are CITIZENS and should be treated equally. As such I have no problem with citizenship being revoked if someone lied on an application OR if someone is convicted of treason or terrorism, but I have a big problem with someone being procedurally stripped of it by the State Department. If State naturalizes a citizen that citizen should not continue to be State's property. Personally I think only SCOTUS and Congress should have that ability and that, if loss of citizenship attaches to a certain crime, it must apply to all citizens regardless of path. I also have a fear of attaching more power to government; a new punishment applied today for terrorism may be applied tomorrow to hate crimes or unauthorized carbon footprints.